[LIVE] - Noob help. Sharing between windows 7 and XBMC
Hi All. First post here so forgive me if terminology isnt spot on. I'm pretty good with windows but new to XBMC / Linux commands etc.

Anyway. Got a Acer 3610 with Win 7 64 bit. Read up a lot before hand (mainly threads on here and HUKD) and thought that rather than install the Windows version of XBMC (Dharma?) I'd create a new partition and have a dual boot into Live instead. Main reason was to seperate the "PC" from the media player, and I was thinking it would boot faster as XBMC is what I would want 9 times out of 10.

Now, for the issue I guess. When I'm trying to share media from my Win 7, 32 bit home PC I was getting lots of probs with SMB, bascially everything I did came up with a "Lock Settings" dialog and whatever userid / passworkd I put in it wouldnt connect. I even created a new logon on the win 7 pc for it and it wouldnt have it.

All my media shares are shared to "Everyone" with Read access. I then started trying the UPNP option instead. Great improvement and it now can find and play my Movies and Photos. However, it wont find anything in my Music folder. All the share settings are the same both on the folder and in the media / network sharing options.

Any ideas? I'm sure therell be other things (like I've no idea how that scraping works to get all the great artwork... selected the option but nothing yet) but for now I just want it connected and playing.

Thanks folks.
I've run into this problem more times that I care to count... For some reason my xbox and my HTPC running XBMC had to have a unique user account on Windows 7... I've also heard that Windows Live Sign in Assistant is known to cause issues with SMB shares in Windows 7, so you could maybe look there as a possibility as well. Personally I found that creating a user account using the same username/password as the one on your XBMC PC tend to work better (could just be my perception and there is no difference, but that's what I've found)...

Hope some of this helps...
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] - Noob help. Sharing between windows 7 and XBMC0