SMB VS UPnP
I read here very much issues with sharing via SMB. Many users has problems with in and has often buffer issues. Is this a known issue? And what causes it?

Also i read when you use UPnP for sharing the buffering is alsmost gone. I tried it myself today with a 1080p file, and indeed it plays now quite smooth(here and there framedrops). With SMB and playing a 1080p file I have every 5-10 seconds buffers. So it is indeed correct that UPnP causes a lot less buffer issues. Some 720p files often buffers too @ my Apple TV with SMB, but no i switched to UPnP it's gone.

Hope you will share you experiences with this to protocols here and some has some answers to my questions or my suspicions are right.

Anyone has a recommended UpnP av client for Mac? I use now Majestic, but I don't like the program and often the when i play a video via XBMC it crashed and stop the video. The inbuilt UPnP client of XBMC is no option, because i must run XBMC on my Mac the whole time and it's using more memory then dedicated clients, cause it is ofcourse more than a normal client.

PS: I will post asap two video's with one video using SMB and one video using UPnP for seeing in real life the huge difference.
Strange. I had the opposite. Buffering issues with upnp, lovely smooth playback even for 720p mkvs using smb
Hi Reverb. I am having the exact same experience as you. SMB buffers. UPnP is perfect and smooth. I've tried streaming SMB from a PC and a Mac. No difference.
Serviio is free and has an OSX version (program is java based). Disable the transcoding service built in to it as well if using XBMC.
Thnx for the tip. I'm trying Twonky now. Had that Serviio before, but that one doesn't work well here.
any recommendations for linux?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Also check in this topics, what kind of problems I more have with UPnP:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94080
rflores2323 Wrote:any recommendations for linux?

If you're running a Linux XBMC + *nix Server use NFS.

Blows Samba out of the water - no comparison.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I don't have a problem now with SMB in my HTPC, however, I was having problems when I was using my Popcorn MT player, that time I changed to NFS and everything was perfect. So, using popcorn player, NFS share was much better than SMB.
If you're set on UPnP in Linux, try MediaTomb.
thethirdnut Wrote:If you're running a Linux XBMC + *nix Server use NFS.

Blows Samba out of the water - no comparison.

Thnx, but i think not many users use Linux. No MAC solution?
Reverb Wrote:Thnx, but i think not many users use Linux. No MAC solution?

There are a ton of users that use Linux. The live distribution is built on Ubuntu 10.4. I think a lot of users (myself included) are normally Windows users but decided to go with Linux for their HTPC because its free.

I have experienced a few issues with smb sharing/buffering but it happens so seldom that I haven't tried to investigate a fix. Normally closing and reopening XBMC will fix my buffering issues (when they rarely happen).
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
I've been wondering why I got hiccups while playing music on my TV using Kodi... I thought it was the Hard Drive connected to the router, or the router itself....
Suddenly I think I should try Upnp, and till now it seems quite ok, will take a further look.
So what on earth is the best sharing scheme to stream media from router connected Hard Drive to TV?

My sysytem:
Router: Asus AC66U_B1
TV: MiTV-3S
HardDrive: unknow... 2.5" with a case
Kodi: V17.4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB VS UPnP0