GreenPois0n adds untethered for 4.2.1 ATV2! RC6 Available now!
Title says it all really...

Removed old Info and updated with below instructions:

Download greepois0n RC6 (Use Google to locate download source, a mod removed the previous links, hint try greenpois0n's website).

Restore Apple TV2 to stock firmware using iTunes.

Follow the instructions given by the greepois0n application (IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO LEAVE THE USB CABLE PLUGGED IN FOR 40 SECONDS OR MORE ONCE THE APPLICATION SAYS COMPLETE), once jailbreak is complete follow below steps to install XBMC etc.

On first boot go to the greepois0n menu and select Inject Software, this will install the cydia payload, nitoTV and ssh, reboot AppleTV when finished.

Using Linux or Mac Terminal (or for Windows use Putty) ssh into AppleTV to complete some manual steps.
Code:
ssh root@appletvip
default password = alpine

You should probably change the default password first
Code:
passwd root

To Fix Time Zone (Apple TV GUI provides no way to adjust time or time zone)
Code:
rm /var/db/timezone/localtime
Create link to correct zoneinfo file for your timezone, To find appropriate zoneinfo file “ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/”
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Detroit /var/db/timezone/localtime
Substitute America/Detroit for your timezone, note file names are case sensitive.
This site will be useful however check that the file exists in the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory before creating the link.

Check Time is correct
Code:
date

Install XBMC
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get -y --force-yes install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Storing Media Locally:
You can store media locally, use sftp or winscp to copy media files to /var/mobile/Media/, then simply add a source within XBMC to the same directory, you have approx 6.4gb to fill up with music and videos.

Congratulations your AppleTV should be properly setup and ready to stream media, I've had great experience with this thing and now own multiple ATV2's with more to come, I can run 10 or more of these for the same power consumption as my previous HTPC.

Optional steps:

Enable AC3 and DTS Output:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=699812&postcount=1

Uninstall nitoTV
Code:
apt-get -y --force-yes remove com.nito.nitotv

Enable Bluetooth Keyboard Support
Code:
apt-get install ch.ringwald.keyboard-atv
apt-get install org.tomcool.btstack-ui
killall AppleTV
In Frontrow goto Settings -> Custom Settings -> BTStack to pair BT devices
Thanks for posting, hadn't seen it was out.
just saw this release Big Grin
Agree with OP, flashes right over seas0npass and very simple, nice!
Anyone had any luck with this? Telling me "Jailbreak Complete!" and wait the 40 seconds.. it boots up and it looks like a default Apple TV (no greenpois0n menu etc.).
Using the Windows GreenPois0n RC6 final.

EDIT: Nevermind, had a 4.0 ATV2 (surprising, thought they were all 4.2.x when bought new these days, must have been old stock). Upgrading then trying again.
Anyone else having trouble downloading?

I'm trying to get the mac version and have tried links from the first post and off the greenp0ison site.
danish Wrote:Anyone had any luck with this? Telling me "Jailbreak Complete!" and wait the 40 seconds.. it boots up and it looks like a default Apple TV (no greenpois0n menu etc.).

Using the Windows GreenPois0n RC6 final.

I have done 2x 4.2.1's now with the Mac version and no dramas what so ever... I don't think you get a greenpois0n menu in ATV but you should be able to SSH in and install software like XBMC.

npkamen Wrote:Anyone else having trouble downloading?

I'm trying to get the mac version and have tried links from the first post and off the greenp0ison site.

The site is probably getting smashed, trying googleing for mirrors.
bircoe Wrote:The site is probably getting smashed, trying googleing for mirrors.

Cheers I got it just took a few goes
Anyone having trouble logging in via ssh since the new JB?

I get this.

mbp17old:~ nick$ ssh [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:
Connection to 10.0.0.111 closed.

I didn't change the password from before it still should be alpine.
I don't have any trouble. Everything ok.
thanks for the heads up on the release!
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
I'm lame. It didn't work for me. I followed the instructions and it failed each time. I tried by plugging the power when prompted and tried after holding the menu and play button. No go for me.

Any trick that I need to do?
RoarinRow Wrote:I'm lame. It didn't work for me. I followed the instructions and it failed each time. I tried by plugging the power when prompted and tried after holding the menu and play button. No go for me.

Any trick that I need to do?

do it before you start jailbreak.

remove all plugs in atv2
open gprc6. say its for appletv.
plug in micro usb cable
wait 10 seconds (light should start blinking faster)
plug in power cable
press and hold menu/play for 7 seconds (should blink very fast)
release menu/play
press start jailbreak.

i doubt it makes a difference but i had itunes open the whole time.
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
well, go into dfu mode as usual.

connect microusb, connect power cable, then hold menu play buttons pressed until led starts to blink like crazy.

_after_ that start greenpois0n and click start without actually following the instruction to go into dfu mode, after that you can jailbreak your device. that did the trick for me.
I didn't even connect power, did the whole jailbreak with no power cable, just USB, I waited about a minute after GreenPois0n said complete, pulled the USB cable then plugged in Ethernet, HDMI and power. First time it didn't boot properly, there were menu sounds but just a blank screen, pulled power and powered it up again and all was good.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GreenPois0n adds untethered for 4.2.1 ATV2! RC6 Available now!0