• 30(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-02-25, 22:55)nickr Wrote: What is up for OUYA for live tv? Is it a deinterlace problem?

And when you say "LiveTV /PVR" are you wanting to run just the frontend, or the backend as well on this machine. (You only need one backend per household, people tend to put them on a server and run light clients with kodi as frontend).

OUYA doesn't have the MPEG2 license to HW decode the video so the Live TV portion runs choppy.

I'm curious if there's a non-HTPC device that would be able to handle the backend and frontend.
ATV1, RPi 2, Chromebox to name just a selection can do both B+F.

Just past this thread,maybe some of u guys here can help me to which ahould i get.. pi2, AFTV,OR ANDROID BOX??thanks
If I were starting out again and did not need HD Audio or 4K video at up to 30fps video I would get the perfectly capable RPi2.
Its the budget option for a perfect Kodi box. A remote is not even needed is you have a modern HDMI CEC TV.

Supplement that with a dirt cheap Android MK808B plus just for HEVC (h265) video playback and Netflix etc.

An overclocked RPi2 can do 720p / h265 video at up to approx 1.3Mbps during my testing which is good enough for TV rips. Slight improvements are coming down the pipe for ARM software decode of HEVC using ffmpeg in Kodi.

Got cash to splash then get a Chromebox or one of its derivatives. Deinterlaced video will be slightly better quality than the RPi2 and you get HD audio. Again get the MK808B plus for HEVC.

Don't try and do everything with the one media device.
You will end up compromising video / audio quality and features too much when trying to go down this path !

(2015-03-02, 16:26)wrxtasy Wrote: If I were starting out again and did not need HD Audio or 4K video at up to 30fps video I would get the perfectly capable RPi2.
Its the budget option for a perfect Kodi box. A remote is not even needed is you have a modern HDMI CEC TV.

Supplement that with a dirt cheap Android MK808B plus just for HEVC (h265) video playback and Netflix etc.

An overclocked RPi2 can do 720p / h265 video at up to approx 1.3Mbps during my testing which is good enough for TV rips. Slight improvements are coming down the pipe for ARM software decode of HEVC using ffmpeg in Kodi.

Got cash to splash then get a Chromebox or one of its derivatives. Deinterlaced video will be slightly better quality than the RPi2 and you get HD audio. Again get the MK808B plus for HEVC.

You will end up compromising video / audio quality and features too much when trying to go down this path !
So cheapest option is Rpi2 and MK808B plus..more than capable devices for xbmc.?
Not bothered about hd audio?all.i want is a good xbmc media player that can at least play anything u throw at it , at least 1080 p 30fps.. at least smooth and fast and responsive with regards to heavy skins..used.like aeon nox..not bothered about 4k yet..as i dont have 4k tv..you didnt mention the AFTV ...IS it not good??some people who has a
AFTV it say its very good..im.confusedSleepySleepySleepySleepy
(2015-03-02, 17:32)warlock09 Wrote:
(2015-03-02, 16:26)wrxtasy Wrote: If I were starting out again and did not need HD Audio or 4K video at up to 30fps video I would get the perfectly capable RPi2.

So cheapest option is Rpi2 and MK808B plus..more than capable devices for xbmc.?
Not bothered about hd audio?all.i want is a good xbmc media player that can at least play anything u throw at it , at least 1080 p 30fps.. at least smooth and fast and responsive with regards to heavy skins..used.like aeon nox..not bothered about 4k yet..as i dont have 4k tv..you didnt mention the AFTV ...IS it not good??some people who has a
AFTV it say its very good..im.confusedSleepySleepySleepySleepy

I gotta be that guy, and tell you to read the original post. Its extremely informative, and answers all your questions (imo). The best box for you to get is a chromebox, since its intel based and has a recent GPU that works great for KODI. Comes ready to go with ram and storage (just enough for KODI though). Its ONLY issue up front is lack of remote/10' control. Add any MCE usb receiver/remote combo of a flirc, and you are good to go.

If you want a little cheaper, the pi2 is great, but you need to get some extra parts for it over the $35 price point, so keep that in mind.

There are plenty of android boxes out there, but the easiest suggestion is the Amazon Fire TV (box, not stick), and it comes with a remote which is a big bonus for getting you rolling right away.

Again, this is all me just repeating the first post, and all info in there is ONLY a few weeks old. Great KODI hardware doesn't move that fast that weeks old info is out of date.

Sorry to be that guy, but people need to be reminded to READ the first post, thats WHY this thread was started.

Actually the Chromebox's CPU can probably play back more HEVC than a perfectly configured MK808B Plus. At least that is what my testing is showing me.

Otherwise I 100% agree with all of that. If you want a Kodi box and you can't afford a Chromebox then the solution is a Pi 2.

(2015-03-02, 19:57)poofyhairguy Wrote: Actually the Chromebox's CPU can probably play back more HEVC than a perfectly configured MK808B Plus. At least that is what my testing is showing me.

Otherwise I 100% agree with all of that. If you want a Kodi box and you can't afford a Chromebox then the solution is a Pi 2.

What resolution and bitrate hard Limit are you finding for HEVC decoding on the Chromebox Poofy ?

- It has to be realised as well that the Chromebox is not available locally in all parts of the world at an affordable price. Confused
US consumers are lucky in this regard.
(2015-03-02, 17:32)warlock09 Wrote: ..you didnt mention the AFTV ...IS it not good??some people who has a
AFTV it say its very good..im.confusedSleepy
Yes it is a good all in one media device but make sure you are aware of Android limitations in regard to the AFTV, more info in regards to this and a comparison to the Chromebox in the FAQ below.
!!
V

(2015-03-03, 02:30)wrxtasy Wrote: What resolution and bitrate hard Limit are you finding for HEVC decoding on the Chromebox Poofy ?

For the s805? With Openelec it can do 1080p at a very modest bitrate. Honestly the encoders are so new I hate to blame it for not doing more when it might be the encode.

That is the benefit of a CPU decoding, it just blows through everything the same. No hit or miss.

Hi all I've to change of ISP and the new one doesn't offer all possibilities like NAS AirPlay and the ability to play MKV with DTS like a breeze. That's why I must buy an HTPC. The nuc i5 starts to hit Europe but I'm just wondering if I don't have to wait skylake to be able to play HEVC.

Moreover I have a VP with a 117" screen so does the nuc would play H264 files smoothly with kodi through openelec or W7 with mpc-hc and quietly?
The i5 is overkill for H264 files at 1080p. As far as playing HEVC is concerned, your question is too vague. Bitrate? Frame rate? Frame size?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-03, 20:53)nickr Wrote: The i5 is overkill for H264 files at 1080p. As far as playing HEVC is concerned, your question is too vague. Bitrate? Frame rate? Frame size?

@nickr I know its overkill for H264 but I'm thinking about the future HEVC.

Today I watch MKV files at 1920x1080 with 23.976 fps and DTS.
For the bitrate 12.6 Mbps overall
9554 Kbps for video and
1510 Kbps for audio in 24 bits.

That's why I don't know if for a 117" in HDMI the nuc will do the job.

And my question is does I have to wait skylake and build a HTPC with the mobo ram SSD etc... to be able to play full HEVC files for the future ?
what does the screen size have to do with anything?

HEVC isn't sorted out yet. Buying anything today, or even 6mos from now with the hope of supporting full playback of HEVC (whether 4K blurays or rips) is a waste of money. Buy something that handles all your 1080p needs and wait for things to sort themselves out - wait for Skylake at a minimum.
(2015-03-03, 21:17)Roosvelt Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 20:53)nickr Wrote: The i5 is overkill for H264 files at 1080p. As far as playing HEVC is concerned, your question is too vague. Bitrate? Frame rate? Frame size?

@nickr I know its overkill for H264 but I'm thinking about the future HEVC.
Well I was answering the question
Quote:does the nuc would play H264 files smoothly with kodi through openelec
but as you seem to know the answer, why did you ask?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-03, 21:39)Matt Devo Wrote: HEVC isn't sorted out yet. Buying anything today, or even 6mos from now with the hope of supporting full playback of HEVC (whether 4K blurays or rips) is a waste of money.

I think it depends. If you are building a gaming HTPC and you can afford to put a GTX 960 in it you are set. A friend let me run some clips through his and it is a monster. I don't really game and I want one just to play with decoding.

Of course that is a VERY limited subset of users. Most want a good sub-$200 box, which is what that GPU costs by itself. I agree that the best bet for those who just want a Kodi appliance is get a Chromebox today and then mentally accept that it might have to be replaced in four years when that 4K Blu Ray HEVC is all over the place (if it is).

Think about what it will take to really need those capabilities:

1. We need 4K Blu Rays.

2. You need a 4K TV

3. We need someone to break the DRM on 4K Blu Rays to get at the content (not a given)

That is a lot of stuff up in the air for anyone to worry about the future. I would think for most people a Chromebox will last the life of their current 1080p TV, and when it is time to replace that TV the $100 for a then-current box to play 4K HEVC will just be part of the 4K TV price basically.

• 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26