• 31(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
So, what is the smallest Celeron or Pentium(either haswell or atom) device with a non intel gpu?
(2015-03-04, 06:45)CoolKeith Wrote: So, what is the smallest Celeron or Pentium(either haswell or atom) device with a non intel gpu?

none of these small-form-factor devices come with a separate GPU, they all use whatever onboard GPU is included with the CPU/SoC
What is the smallest Atom(quad core) based device with a non-intel gpu? Would I be better suited with an AMD based devices then if I want something that small?
Atom is Intel, so you end up with an Intel GPU.

If you think an AMD GPU is going to be better than an Intel one, well good luck on that.

If you want the best GPU get nVidia, that involves a PCIE slot and room for a card. That will likely either involve a fan, or two slots wide.

Why are you determined to not have an Intel GPU?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-03, 23:12)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 21:39)Matt Devo Wrote: HEVC isn't sorted out yet. Buying anything today, or even 6mos from now with the hope of supporting full playback of HEVC (whether 4K blurays or rips) is a waste of money.

I think it depends. If you are building a gaming HTPC and you can afford to put a GTX 960 in it you are set. A friend let me run some clips through his and it is a monster. I don't really game and I want one just to play with decoding.

Of course that is a VERY limited subset of users. Most want a good sub-$200 box, which is what that GPU costs by itself. I agree that the best bet for those who just want a Kodi appliance is get a Chromebox today and then mentally accept that it might have to be replaced in four years when that 4K Blu Ray HEVC is all over the place (if it is).

Think about what it will take to really need those capabilities:

1. We need 4K Blu Rays.

2. You need a 4K TV

3. We need someone to break the DRM on 4K Blu Rays to get at the content (not a given)

That is a lot of stuff up in the air for anyone to worry about the future. I would think for most people a Chromebox will last the life of their current 1080p TV, and when it is time to replace that TV the $100 for a then-current box to play 4K HEVC will just be part of the 4K TV price basically.
Whats to say that the next gen of smart TVs wont allow custom x64 applications to be installed on an attached flash based disk ?

I have high hopes that this will allow us to remove a lot of front room clutter.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-03-04, 08:18)bym007 Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 23:12)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 21:39)Matt Devo Wrote: HEVC isn't sorted out yet. Buying anything today, or even 6mos from now with the hope of supporting full playback of HEVC (whether 4K blurays or rips) is a waste of money.

I think it depends. If you are building a gaming HTPC and you can afford to put a GTX 960 in it you are set. A friend let me run some clips through his and it is a monster. I don't really game and I want one just to play with decoding.

Of course that is a VERY limited subset of users. Most want a good sub-$200 box, which is what that GPU costs by itself. I agree that the best bet for those who just want a Kodi appliance is get a Chromebox today and then mentally accept that it might have to be replaced in four years when that 4K Blu Ray HEVC is all over the place (if it is).

Think about what it will take to really need those capabilities:

1. We need 4K Blu Rays.

2. You need a 4K TV

3. We need someone to break the DRM on 4K Blu Rays to get at the content (not a given)

That is a lot of stuff up in the air for anyone to worry about the future. I would think for most people a Chromebox will last the life of their current 1080p TV, and when it is time to replace that TV the $100 for a then-current box to play 4K HEVC will just be part of the 4K TV price basically.
Whats to say that the next gen of smart TVs wont allow custom x64 applications to be installed on an attached flash based disk ?

I have high hopes that this will allow us to remove a lot of front room clutter.
What's to say they will?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
keith take a look at Asus EEE box, there is a version with Atom pared with a NVidia gpu.
(2015-03-04, 09:03)agender Wrote: keith take a look at Asus EEE box, there is a version with Atom pared with a NVidia gpu.

Current model or an older one?
Can't find a store for the Acer Revo Chromebox Sad

Also none of the boxes I saw have a dedicated HD Digital audio out (SPDIF or Optical)
Could you advice on one having this, as I do not want to mix the signals (for now), as I do not like have either the amp or the display in the way of the other

Thx again
  • Raspberry Pi 3 - Libreelec 9.0.1
  • Odroid C2 - Libreelec 8.2.5 & Libreelec 9.0.1
(2015-03-04, 11:17)nickr Wrote:
(2015-03-04, 09:03)agender Wrote: keith take a look at Asus EEE box, there is a version with Atom pared with a NVidia gpu.

Current model or an older one?
I think it's a quad core atom but don't remember if it's a desktop, mobile, or E-series Atom. GPU is an NVidia GT610m if I am not mistaken.
(2015-03-04, 12:13)jeffjoker Wrote: Can't find a store for the Acer Revo Chromebox Sad

Also none of the boxes I saw have a dedicated HD Digital audio out (SPDIF or Optical)
Could you advice on one having this, as I do not want to mix the signals (for now), as I do not like have either the amp or the display in the way of the other

Thx again

well, if you are searching for 'acer revo chromebox' then you're not likely to find it as that's not the correct name (there's no 'revo' in it)

you can add a USB SPDIF output to a ChromeBox for ~$20 (see the wiki), but your reasoning for not feeding the HDMI signal thru your AVR first isn't supported by factual data, and in fact, is what AVRs are designed to do.
(2015-03-04, 06:45)CoolKeith Wrote: So, what is the smallest Celeron or Pentium(either haswell or atom) device with a non intel gpu?

They made a few Acer Revos with a celeron and an ION2 GPU. I also have a Mini ITX board that combines a 9300 GPU with a single core celeron.

The Chromebox blows all of that away now though.

I looked it up and the aforementioned Asus EEE box comes with a Bay trail base J series quad-core Atom cpu(which I think may equal the performance of the haswell Celeron, but lacks a few things for media purposes), but with a Nvdia GT820m gpu. There is also a D series dual core Atom with the GT610m gpu. I am not sure which gpu was ion2, but pretty sure the quad core atom model is better, but not realty sure how it would compare to a Haswell based i3 device(at least gpu wise) since both are going to be around the same price(bare-bone and pre-built system).
Pretty sure GT820M and GT610M are better than first or 2nd Gen ION.

I wasn't aware anyone was still making boxes with Atom plus nVidia.

I have several ION2 boxes which make great Kodi machines!
Yeah Asus and Zotac still make combos. There interesting device combo, but I am not sure if the J series Atom supports HD audio or not, and of course GPU is like a lower end version of the intel 4000 gpu. If it was Haswell based Celeron it would have been even better combo imho as it's not going to be fanless so you may as well use the cpu with better single core performance.

Edit: Asus also makes VivoPC with Haswell CPU and 820m GPU. Could be an option for some. Asus seems to still like nvidia gpu it seems like.
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26