• 47(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
Ok you convinced me Smile

I just took that :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vilros-Raspberry...spberry+pi
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been using XBMC/KODI for years. I have always had this be controlled with my ATV2. But, now I'm looking to expand and cut the cord once again (tried cable again, bad idea). So now I would like a better experience then my AT2.

Problem with are

*ATV2 I get daily resets.
*Very hard to get a HD stream to work with out any issues.
*Live TV never holds a steady signal.
*Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to my network move files. I have close to 1000 1080 mp4(only forma I use)

Now things do work right at times and it was at one point enough for our needs, as we had previously cut the cord until we moved. But now we have moved to a much bigger home and I also have a HD 120in projector in my basement and would like to take proper use of it (480p shows viewed on 120in, not goodSad )

So I have been looking at things like the Fire TV, Rasberry PI and this G-Box Q.But I'm very confused and don't want to be chasing around a unicorn of a device if it doesn't exist in this lower end price range.

My needs are/things to know

*I want live TV to work stable
*Id like to tap into my Plex setup if possible or even just the network drive if needed
*Id like instant play ability and minimal or no buffering
*3d is not a concern Im not a fan
*Currently my entire library is apple ready mp4
*My entire house is on apple products down to the routers.
*I currently only run Kodi on ATV2 and use my PS3 for HULU and Netflix. Would like a box that would take this over. But doesn't have to.
*Something my 8 year old and wife can use with out a lot of complication
*Something that can handle HD feeds efficiently
* I can build PC's and have advance hardware skills.. but would rather keep as simple as possible.

Thanks guys. Im just out the loop and so busy with my new job I don't have time to see which way is up. But everyday I have cable is everyday I get more pissed for paying for something the family or I rarely use.
(2015-05-19, 15:11)mr.madison Wrote: Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been using XBMC/KODI for years. I have always had this be controlled with my ATV2. But, now I'm looking to expand and cut the cord once again (tried cable again, bad idea). So now I would like a better experience then my AT2.

Problem with are

*Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to my network move files. I have close to 1000 1080 mp4(only forma I use)

Now things do work right at times and it was at one point enough for our needs, as we had previously cut the cord until we moved. But now we have moved to a much bigger home and I also have a HD 120in projector in my basement and would like to take proper use of it (480p shows viewed on 120in, not goodSad )

So I have been looking at things like the Fire TV, Rasberry PI and this G-Box Q.But I'm very confused and don't want to be chasing around a unicorn of a device if it doesn't exist in this lower end price range.

*Id like to tap into my Plex setup if possible or even just the network drive if needed
*I currently only run Kodi on ATV2 and use my PS3 for HULU and Netflix. Would like a box that would take this over. But doesn't have to.
* I can build PC's and have advance hardware skills.. but would rather keep as simple as possible.

Thanks guys. Im just out the loop and so busy with my new job I don't have time to see which way is up. But everyday I have cable is everyday I get more pissed for paying for something the family or I rarely use.
Have a look at the Asus Chromebox.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
compare both Celeron 2955U or Amlogic S812-H , whos better in terms of performance of the gui
One thing to consider... no HD audio on Amlogic S812-H boxes.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-05-19, 15:11)mr.madison Wrote: Hey Guys,

Problem with are

Have you read post one in this very thread?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
ok how about Amlogic S812-H box(minix x8-h plus) or amazon fire tv or amazon fire stick ?

whos got the better performance and better support for kod cuz im going to use for kodi only so im looking for the best 2 option from above in terms of performance of the gui and kodi full support
If you're just going to use kodi just get an RPi2.
i dont like rpi2 , just one of those options on the below :

Amlogic S812-H box(minix x8-h plus) or amazon fire tv or amazon fire stick

the best for performance ?
Interesting how many people come for advice, and reject it for some arbitrary reason known onlto themselves.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Personally if you don't need android apps I wouldn't touch kodi on android, it's just not as stable (I speak as someone who owns and uses kodi on a fire TV and others)
whats the best remote for chromebox ?
SABERZAID, there is a Search function in the Hardware section here on the forum regarding:

Chromebox Remotes

- As already mention the disadvantages of any Android based OS device, eg refresh rate modes and 24p video sync problems. HD Audio output. This includes all the devices you mentioned and includes AMlogic devices.

- Don't like RPi2 --> Chromebox is the best for Kodi. Limitations of Android OS based boxes just limit Kodi performance too much.

(2015-05-08, 22:40)visata Wrote: The only thing that bothers me about RPi2 that it cannot be powered on with a remote. Any solution for this?
You can try this solution, works great with my RPi2 in combination with a One4all remote.
Remote Pi Board
Server & 4 Clients

Heimkino: NVIDIA Shield
Dachboden: Arctic MC001 mit Openelec auf SD
Schlafzimmer: RPi2 mit Openelec
Wohnzimmer: Techsolo TC-2200 - Asrock Q1900DC-ITX mit Openelec auf SSD
Server: HP-MicroServer G8 mit DD Cine S2 V6.5+Flexmodul - Ubuntu 14.04/yaVDR headless
(2015-05-20, 14:26)meikelmoeller Wrote:
(2015-05-08, 22:40)visata Wrote: The only thing that bothers me about RPi2 that it cannot be powered on with a remote. Any solution for this?
You can try this solution, works great with my RPi2 in combination with a One4all remote.
Remote Pi Board

Wow... Pi ecosystem never ceases to amaze me...
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26