• 51(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
OK, thanks.
(2015-05-24, 20:36)megamawax Wrote: OK, thanks. Is there anything that runs Windows that can compete with the Chromebox on both price and capability as far as running Kodi? The only mentions of Windows devices that I recall seeing are the NUCs, which are quite a bit more expensive. Do you think Windows 10 on the Chromebox will be a good option down the line?

there are plenty of Haswell/Broadwell SFF mini-PCs which are comparable to the ChromeBox capability-wise in the sub-$200 range, such as the HP Stream Mini, Zotac BI320, or MSI Cubi
(2015-05-24, 22:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-24, 20:36)megamawax Wrote: OK, thanks. Is there anything that runs Windows that can compete with the Chromebox on both price and capability as far as running Kodi? The only mentions of Windows devices that I recall seeing are the NUCs, which are quite a bit more expensive. Do you think Windows 10 on the Chromebox will be a good option down the line?

there are plenty of Haswell/Broadwell SFF mini-PCs which are comparable to the ChromeBox capability-wise in the sub-$200 range, such as the HP Stream Mini, Zotac BI320, or MSI Cubi

How would the Asus Chromebox plus Windows 8 on a 128GB USB 3.0 stick compare against the HP Stream Mini if I was paying approximately $180 in either case? Is that more or less even, or does one have a significant edge?
(2015-05-24, 22:26)megamawax Wrote: How would the Asus Chromebox plus Windows 8 on a 128GB USB 3.0 stick compare against the HP Stream Mini if I was paying approximately $180 in either case? Is that more or less even, or does one have a significant edge?

I wouldn't do that, it limits your OS upgrade path, and is unsupported at best. Plus, USB3 flash sticks are a lot slower than an internal ssd. For $180 I could probably sell you my MSI Broadwell Celeron with ram and an ssd Smile
The cubi is a great choice for running windows. You also get miracast compatibility. It's not worth the hassle of using windows 8 just to get hdmi audio on a chromebox.
(2015-05-24, 22:34)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-24, 22:26)megamawax Wrote: How would the Asus Chromebox plus Windows 8 on a 128GB USB 3.0 stick compare against the HP Stream Mini if I was paying approximately $180 in either case? Is that more or less even, or does one have a significant edge?

I wouldn't do that, it limits your OS upgrade path, and is unsupported at best. Plus, USB3 flash sticks are a lot slower than an internal ssd. For $180 I could probably sell you my MSI Broadwell Celeron with ram and an ssd Smile

It certainly sounds like a lot of what I'd want to do would work better with the Cubi. But is the chromebox superior in some respects, or is the Cubi just a better box all the way around?
(2015-05-24, 23:43)megamawax Wrote: It certainly sounds like a lot of what I'd want to do would work better with the Cubi. But is the chromebox superior in some respects, or is the Cubi just a better box all the way around?

The Broadwell Celeron 3205U in the Cubi is better than the Celeron 2955U/2957U used in the ChromeBox, HP mini, Zotac BI320, etc in all aspects other than price (since it's sold as barebones). It's the newest generation architecture, has higher clock speed, better GPU, and hybrid HEVC decoding under Windows. It's basically equivalent to the next-gen ChromeBoxes about to be released, but with full Windows support. Or you can think of it as a Broadwell Celeron NUC.
i bought 2 device

the first:
the asus chromebox with Intel i3-4010U Processor 1.7 GHz( cache) and 4gb of ram will it do the perfect job for kodi ? will install on it openelec

my 2nd device is :

Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with Intel Core™ i5 Processor with ssd drive and 8gb of ram ( will install on it openelec) unless you can recommend me to install another distro? as i want it to be my main media center and kodi device

waiting your kind suggestion
(2015-05-25, 08:59)SABERZAID Wrote: i bought 2 device

the first:
the asus chromebox with Intel i3-4010U Processor 1.7 GHz( cache) and 4gb of ram will it do the perfect job for kodi ? will install on it openelec

my 2nd device is :

Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with Intel Core[TRADE MARK SIGN] i5 Processor with ssd drive and 8gb of ram ( will install on it openelec) unless you can recommend me to install another distro? as i want it to be my main media center and kodi device

Both are more than sufficient for Kodi. If you only need media playback from these devices, I suggest to go for OpenElec Generic stable builds. It is much lighter on resources and gives good results. You could go for Ubuntu+Kodi if you needed your HTPC to offer other functionality as well..
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
Dear all,

I have a popcorn hour a300 and need an upgrade.
After reading all the threads I'm suffering from information overload, so please help Smile

My home theater set screw's up the HDMI signal, so I would prefer optical out. Otherwise i need to let the tv do the passthrough. My budget is about 200 euro's. I usually watch TV shows at available formats (1080p) and the occasional bluray (iso). I would like to use my harmony remote.

Kodi seems to be the smart move, but I'm lost at the hardware choice. European prices are also higher then the US prices.

So should I stick with the pi2 or go for a Chromebox with accessories (and specifically which ones)? Might the mede8er or himedia q5 be the better alternative?

Thanks,
Rick
(2015-05-25, 11:02)bym007 Wrote:
(2015-05-25, 08:59)SABERZAID Wrote: i bought 2 device

the first:

my 2nd device is :

Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with Intel Core[TRADE MARK SIGN] i5 Processor with ssd drive and 8gb of ram ( will install on it openelec) unless you can recommend me to install another distro? as i want it to be my main media center and kodi device

Both are more than sufficient for Kodi. If you only need media playback from these devices, I suggest to go for OpenElec Generic stable builds. It is much lighter on resources and gives good results. You could go for Ubuntu+Kodi if you needed your HTPC to offer other functionality as well..

thank you

so if i install ubuntu 15.4 on my Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH will it be ok ? the kodibuntu distro from kodi.tv ist the same as ubuntu + kodi or the kodiubuntu has some pre configuration and packages that i need to do when i install the ubuntu 15.4
This conversation is turning into a Intel NUC software configuration thread.
Please take it to the Linux section of the forum or better still ask the same questions in the dedicated Intel NUC - Broadwell thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214018

(2015-05-25, 11:51)tecje Wrote: Dear all,

I have a popcorn hour a300 and need an upgrade.
After reading all the threads I'm suffering from information overload, so please help Smile

My home theater set screw's up the HDMI signal, so I would prefer optical out. Otherwise i need to let the tv do the passthrough. My budget is about 200 euro's. I usually watch TV shows at available formats (1080p) and the occasional bluray (iso). I would like to use my harmony remote.

Kodi seems to be the smart move, but I'm lost at the hardware choice. European prices are also higher then the US prices.

So should I stick with the pi2 or go for a Chromebox with accessories (and specifically which ones)? Might the mede8er or himedia q5 be the better alternative?

Thanks,
Rick

Chromebox running Openelec along with this will give you want you need

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036VO4X4/
(2015-05-25, 21:30)Topken Wrote: Chromebox running Openelec along with this will give you want you need

Thank you for the reply. The cheapest chromebox with c2955u is 230,- over here, which is a bit more then I'm willing to spend. But if the alternatives are worth considering, such as the cheaper brix...or maybe the Wetek. I don't know enough to choose the most bang for buck and have the options I need.
(2015-05-25, 21:55)tecje Wrote:
(2015-05-25, 21:30)Topken Wrote: Chromebox running Openelec along with this will give you want you need

Thank you for the reply. The cheapest chromebox with c2955u is 230,- over here, which is a bit more then I'm willing to spend. But if the alternatives are worth considering, such as the cheaper brix...or maybe the Wetek. I don't know enough to choose the most bang for buck and have the options I need.

Take a look at the Zotac BI320 then since it has a built in Toslink port and there are 2 models the fully loaded with 2gbs of ram a 64gb mSATA ssd and wIndows 8.1 with bing then there is the barebones model which is missing everything including the mSATA slot but a 2.5" 64gb SSD plus 2gbs of ram running openelec might be cheaper then the chromebox.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26