• 70(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-08-13, 21:49)slair76116 Wrote: I was thinking of going with what wrxtasy suggested and buying a Minix NEO X8-H Plus when I came across this Smile
http://www.instabox.tv/products/instabox-a8/
All I want is the best KODI experience TV movie watching. as I said before I only saw Kodi for the first time a few weeks before, total noob here Smile
Stop getting seduced by fancy Tech Specs, Octa cores and such. Allwinner would have to be the worst CPU/GPU combo you could get to run Kodi period. Lucky you brought it up, now you know.

If you don't need Android Apps, like the first page of this thread mentions - get a Chromebox / Zotac BI320 / HP Mini Stream or one of its very similar siblings to run Kodi / OpenELEC. Buy a FLIRC usr IR receiver and you are good to go.

In the Android Marketplace, get a device from this thread, that way its guaranteed to work properly:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229161

@ Skrell > One of the new Intel Braswell boxes would be a bit future proofed as it will do HEVC Hardware decoding:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096

(2015-08-14, 04:12)wrxtasy Wrote: @ Skrell > One of the new Intel Braswell boxes would be a bit future proofed as it will do HEVC Hardware decoding:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096

I'm sorry to be a pain but by "future proofed" does that mean i can run openELEC on it ?
All Intel devices can currently run OpenELEC. Even a lot of ARM devices run OpenELEC. eg C1+ RPi, + AMlogic clone boxes. This new Braswell one happens to have HEVC Hardware decoding as well on an Intel platform.

Thank you wrxtasy for all your time! I just purchased my first minix neo x6!!
Hi everyone.

I am in the market for a new Kodi box. Currently I have two zotac boxes (one running xbmcbuntu and one running windows 7)

I am getting tired of the windows one randomly rebooting after updates or for no real good reason. the ubuntu one is fine, though updates are a bit of a pain as i have to log out and pull out a keyboard and refresh my memory on command line.

the idea of an android box is intriguing...this would be a gift for my inlaws and i think they would use the other apps like youtube and such - even if they get themselves a netflix account they could use that.

are these things pretty straightforward? they are far from technical, and will just give up before they complain or ask for help.

I would be attaching a usb storage device and using an ethernet port, the Minix X8-H looks promising

Thoughts? Advice?
If you're going for a basic system, an Odroid C1+ (new refresh version) runs Android smashingly well. Install Kodi, Netflix, Youtube and whatever else you want from Google Play and it's a pretty much bulletproof system, good for non-technical users (who, if they have a smartphone, will be able to hit the ground running using it).
wow that thing looks kinda DIY-ish ... can't say I'm particularly up for the task right now. I take it you buy the board from ameridroid and then all the accessories? install my own android OS on it?

I think I would prefer a more AIO solution, even if it costs a bit more.

TBH I have a 3 month and a 3 year old at home, so free time for tinkering just isnt there. the wife would prefer I paint the garage before i sit up late playing around with "computer stuff" as she calls it.

appreciate the reply though! cheers
Yes the C1+ really belongs in the Raspberry Pi - DIY group of devices. Works well but takes some a little bit of setting up.

Be aware that MINIX and any device outside of NVIDIA / Amazon Fire TV/Stick / Google NEXUS player will only give you a max resolution of 720x480p at about 4500Kbps for paid DRM streaming services like Netflix. However sit 10 or 12 feet on a couch an the inlaws will likely not even notice if they are not tech savvy.

The MINIX NEO-A2-Lite remote with integrated keyboard and the nicely integrated custom XBMC/Kodi and launcher interface is the killer feature the MINIX NEO X8-H Plus has going for it. Works straight out of the box. Pretty much Plug and Play. Updates are done over the air as well, so not a lot of stuffing about. Make sure you get a box with the A2 Lite, the Air Mouse in it is needed to operate some Android Apps properly.
http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/NEO-A2-Lite.html

If you could sideload Kodi for them, then the Amazon Fire TV or Google Nexus Player might be worth considering too.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ight=nexus

(2015-08-15, 04:47)wrxtasy Wrote: If you could sideload Kodi for them, then the Amazon Fire TV or Google Nexus Player might be worth considering too.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ight=nexus

Google Nexus Player should be a direct install from the Play Store. I believe.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-08-15, 00:10)Wintersdark Wrote: If you're going for a basic system, an Odroid C1+ (new refresh version) runs Android smashingly well. Install Kodi, Netflix, Youtube and whatever else you want from Google Play and it's a pretty much bulletproof system, good for non-technical users (who, if they have a smartphone, will be able to hit the ground running using it).

Though worth pointing out the Netflix will be limited to relatively low-quality 480p on the C1+.
What remote control/keyboard combo would you recommend to operate ODroid C1+ w/ OpenElec and Flirc USB device?
I use a pretty old backlit Harmony One Remote control. Ergonomic peanut shaped and backlit which is important. Work very well with FLIRC and OpenELEC.

Now thinking along these lines this is the first thing I found looking for an XBOX type remote control on Amazon.
Seems very good value for a learning remote and would work well, partly pre-programmed already:

$25 Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV®, Xbox One®, Roku® & Media Center®

also works well...
$14 Xbox 360 Media Remote

So i've been playing with my Neo X6 for a couple days and figured i'd post a preliminary review for those interested:

Pros:
1. Easy to update to latest FW build 7a
2. I like that many of android's annoying features are disabled by default (location)
3. Minimal set of preinstalled apps (very little bloat)
4. Kodi/XMBC works smoothly and as advertised

Cons:
1. Using the remote control included is near impossible and i had to plug in a mouse/keyboard (i will definitely be investing in the MINIX NEO-A2-Lite remote and hope for better usability)
2. The mouse is not real smooth to move around (again i'm hoping the MINIX NEO-A2-Lite remote fixes this)
3. Netflix SUCKS and this is a big big issue for me...apparently the problem is Netflix making their generic app complete shit and NOT minix's but i wonder if i should have bought an X8 for the extra horsepower?) (also i haven't yet tried netflix within Kodi so maybe this will help?)
4. Android feels sluggish overall.
5. I just found out that i can't use amazon instant video without a Kodi plugin...sigh.
6. NO ROOT!! I thought all minix's came rooted. (this is probably my fault for not reading)

Overall i sort of wish i got the Nvidia Shield instead...however this is my 1st android tv and i appreciate spending less money on something that should provide much of the same usability. Undecided
(2015-08-16, 12:23)noggin Wrote:
(2015-08-15, 00:10)Wintersdark Wrote: If you're going for a basic system, an Odroid C1+ (new refresh version) runs Android smashingly well. Install Kodi, Netflix, Youtube and whatever else you want from Google Play and it's a pretty much bulletproof system, good for non-technical users (who, if they have a smartphone, will be able to hit the ground running using it).

Though worth pointing out the Netflix will be limited to relatively low-quality 480p on the C1+.
if you alter your build.prop to report that your using a Nexus 7, you can get HD.
(2015-08-23, 20:14)Wintersdark Wrote:
(2015-08-16, 12:23)noggin Wrote:

if you alter your build.prop to report that your using a Nexus 7, you can get HD.
Interesting, I don't suppose you have any modified Android C1+ disk images ready to go ?
This is likely to be my next compilation project so I can get HD Netflix in a dual boot OpenELEC / Android configuration.

@ Skrell > yes Netflix sucks for remote control use. Thats why we bang on about just getting a cheap Fire TV stick for these paid DRM streaming apps like Netflix. Even with the MINIX X8 you would still be limited to 720x480p Netflix and have to use an Air Mouse. This is a Netflix problem.

OpenELEC / OSMC really is the way to go on cheap ARM devices for Kodi use. Stay away from Android for Kodi use if you can or get a system where you can dual boot OpenELEC / Android.

• 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26