• 85(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-10-21, 10:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Too slow in the respect of snappiness of the Android interface, App switching, Web browsing will be painful.
It just won't be a pleasant Android experience.

In regard to the WeTek Core remote control, I too was of the opinion that a stop button was needed. But its not that much of a PIA and only a few extra button clicks to stop.

Also you can use this Kodi Addon:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor
To reprogram buttons easily. I'm going to repurpose the back Button in a Stop during video playback only.

EDIT: Just used the Addon, very easily done to reprogram the Back into Stop and works well Smile

@wrxtasy can you explain how you used this app to make the back button stop videos during playback. I've just spent the last five minutes trying to emulate this.

Ta
Key Map Editor > Edit > FullScreen Video > Playback > Stop > Edit Key > "Back Button"

Then exit back through the Menus and Save

TaDA !

I've been pondering replacing my Kodi PC with an Android box, just to have something smaller, but I think a PC still gives the best options and the easiest to configure. I have a 4K TV and Denon 6.1 system, so DTS and things matter to me. I can run the Windows 10 Netflix app, and thanks to the NetflixRemoteControl program that someone wrote, I can switch the 24p, use my remote, launch it all from Kodi and exit and return to Kodi.

File management is easier in Windows, and as been said, too many boxes flodding the market, and none of them seem to do it all as good as a PC can, so for now, It's PC for me.
(2015-10-22, 00:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Key Map Editor > Edit > FullScreen Video > Playback > Stop > Edit Key > "Back Button"

Then exit back through the Menus and Save

TaDA !

Brilliant thank you!
For the last couple years I have set up various friends and family with Minix boxes. These have passed the spouse and grandparent acceptance factors quite well. Once a year I check on their settings. All has worked well in between checks.

For myself, earlier this year, when Minix told me that they had no plans to support ATMOS, I was looking at switching to a Himedia Q5. But I opted to wait and to use a laptop whenever I really wanted to use ATMOS. I did a bit of comparison testing anyway. Using a MINIX X8-H to pass through 7.1 TrueHD to a Marantz SR7009 with an extra amp for 7.1.4 sound still sounds awesome. Gravity via Minix sounded just like Gravity over the PC, even when focusing on just the passages known for their ATMOS content. Only the LED indicator on the Marantz only displays "ATMOS" with the PC attached.

I am quite intrigued by the Nvidia Shield now though. Am glad I waited. But from the Kodi device page, it sounds like ATMOS is not yet passing through. Has anyone else tried or knows when ATMOS will be supported by a combination of the Shield and Kodi?

Playback Equipment: Thecus N5550 NAS - Minix Neo X8-H player (or PC for ATMOS files) - Marantz SR7009 with 7.1.4 - LG 55LA6918
(2015-10-22, 11:35)Carousel Wrote: ...Using a MINIX X8-H to pass through 7.1 TrueHD to a Marantz SR7009 with an extra amp for 7.1.4 sound still sounds awesome. Gravity via Minix sounded just like Gravity over the PC, even when focusing on just the passages known for their ATMOS content. Only the LED indicator on the Marantz only displays "ATMOS" with the PC attached.
Interesting post man.
So question for the Audio guru's, is it a 5.1 High Bitrate Lossy "Core" that is being extracted from the Gravity 7.1 True HD Audio stream or is transcoding taking place ?
We all know AMLogic SoC running standard Kodi cannot output greater than 2.0 PCM.

Carousel, what XBMC of Kodi version are you running on the MINIX X8-H ?

Hi!
I am new one here. Just want to ask about best tv stick which supports 4k and 3d videos. Is there any? Or it's better to use boxes?
In response to wrxtasy, I am on Kodi 15.2

In response to titi91, who asked me about 15.2 crashing an Andoer MXIII-G Android 5.1 TV Box... I do not have this problem with my Android 4.4 Minix X8-H. But when 15.1 first came out, it did crash the box. At the time I just stayed on 15.0 and later jumped to 15.2.

In response to Cob2... I see some older forum threads about sticks. Certainly there are some sticks that say they can do the job. A quick Google shopping trip turned up the iconBIT Toucan Stick 4K and the Andoer MP903V. But there does not seem to be much monetary savings involved. Just some space savings. Maybe other folks / other threads will advise more. My advice is always to get a player for which there is a device forum on which both users and the manufacturer are active and positive.
Thecus N5550 NAS - Nvidia Shield - Marantz SR7009 with 7.1.4 - LG 55LA6918
Ok,
It seems I have chosen the wrong Kodi TV box with this Andoer MXIII-G 4K Android 5.1.
Then, whatever could be the price, what alternative box would you advice with total support for Kodi ? (and with any Kodi upcoming releases) ?
I have read some good words about a box called Wetek core 4k android with similar specs with the Andoer above.
Is this the box that this forum would advice ?
Are there other box that you would support and advice (I have also heard about Minix "something") ?

I am sorry if this question was still asked a dozen of times but I am totally new on this forum and even after having searched in hundred of posts, I did not find the answer to my question, instead I received a Red Flag from Moderator of the forum (again sorry).

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
Titi91
Hi titi91, picking the right device for you depends on what is important for you... and how excited you get if you have to muck around in buried settings to solve problems that eventually pop up. If you write down the list of things that are important to you and then watch some YouTube reviews, you can focus in on the devices that deliver what you want. I also advise going with a box that has a loyal fan base and a responsive company active on a dedicated forum. I know that Minix has this. But they are probably not alone. Since you have an Andoer MXIII, and since wrxtasy recommended Wetek as well as Minix, I just checked in YouTube for folks who reviewed all three brands. I came up with reviews by Roberto Jorge from Portugal. He liked both Minix (e.g., X8-H Plus model) and Wetek (e.g. Core model) boxes, not so much Andoer.

For me, I am looking for ATMOS support. I have 4 speakers in the ceiling and 7 surrounding plus one (not yet two) subwoofer(s). But my kids like to game. So I am investigating the Nvidia Shield for my next box.

Summary... make a list of what is important to you, then check for players that score well in reviews for these items... and then check that the device brands have active and positive forums of their own... that is, a healthy community behind them.

Note, just for Minix, if you want reviews of the different models with their different price points, then SomeCoolTech has a bunch of these. They also review other brands, e.g., Tronsmart, with which I am not familiar. But, for all I know, they may be right for you.
Thecus N5550 NAS - Nvidia Shield - Marantz SR7009 with 7.1.4 - LG 55LA6918
(2015-10-21, 23:55)ayteck Wrote: hi,

i have a pivos xios with linux since 2 years.. But now i want to upgrade it because it is really slow..

i am navigating in the forum couple of days but i am really confused Smile

i look some threads and i say to myself: "yes i must to buy chromebox"... After than in another thread i say; "no no it must be Raspberry Pi 2" etc etc...

as a result; i have nothing in my hand Smile Please help me..

-my price limit is up to 200$
-very important for me is audio issue it must be awosemo support (Passthrough and decode) i have Sony AVR and i am use it with this.
-and ofcourse speed

3D and 4k support is important but not deadly...
Also IR Remote is important but not deadly...

Which hardware is for me? chromebox? Intel NUC? HiMedia? RPi2 ? as you see i am really confused... so many options..

hi @titi91, i think you must write like my post in the quote for take a right answer.. But may be cant take answer like me Smile
Thanks for answer.
I need box which should play high defnition videos. i will never play on it, Just movies (4k if possible) and music. I would like to connect it to my sound system so it will be nice if it has some high quality sound connection. I read that minix has released Intel Braswell 4K Mini PC. But I can't found it at any shop. Is it something that I should be interested with?
November. 8 bit HEVC 4k only - besides that. Nice box - but let's see if UEFI is cripled or if we can install whatever OS we need.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-10-21, 22:54)wrxtasy Wrote: 1. Stable Firmware that actually works properly with Kodi.
2. Regular Updates to squash any bugs Guaranteed.
3. From a Known Kodi Sponsor, so you know what you are actually getting is quality.
4. 24p HD Netflix
5. OpenELEC, that just works properly as well.
6. Support Support Support

Basically you get what you pay for with Android Kodi devices, spin the roulette wheel and save a few $$$
You might get lucky, but mostly you won't with these Chinese Android devices with no support.
They use a pump and dump marketing, worse still users even end up being Alpha Testers of their Firmware. Sad
Sounds interesting but how would you get Netflix with OpenELEC version?
As far as i know, getting Netflix to work within OpenELEC is running Kodi on Android if you would go for the Wetek or am I wrong?
(2015-10-24, 17:15)schumi2004 Wrote:
(2015-10-21, 22:54)wrxtasy Wrote: 1. Stable Firmware that actually works properly with Kodi.
2. Regular Updates to squash any bugs Guaranteed.
3. From a Known Kodi Sponsor, so you know what you are actually getting is quality.
4. 24p HD Netflix
5. OpenELEC, that just works properly as well.
6. Support Support Support

Basically you get what you pay for with Android Kodi devices, spin the roulette wheel and save a few $$$
You might get lucky, but mostly you won't with these Chinese Android devices with no support.
They use a pump and dump marketing, worse still users even end up being Alpha Testers of their Firmware. Sad
Sounds interesting but how would you get Netflix with OpenELEC version?
As far as i knowknow, getting Netflix to work within OpenELEC is running Kodi on Android if you would go for the Wetek or am I wrong?

I guess dual boot between OE and Android?
  • 85(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26