• 87(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
i read that the SHIELD is capable to use a USB->SPDIF converter
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-10-26, 11:19)schumi2004 Wrote: I agree on the Nvidia Shield (friend of mine has one) but for me it's a no-go since it doesn't have SPDIF.
And since i really need SPDIF i'm going for the WeTeK Core.

Usefull link for the shield using USB DAC see here
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-10-26, 11:22)Martijn Wrote: i read that the SHIELD is capable to use a USB->SPDIF converter

thats correct... kodi wiki

Quote:OTA Firmware version 2.0 update from NVIDIA for SHIELD TV is suppose to have added native pass-through/bit-streaming audio support for AC3, EAC3, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 7.1, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, and Dolby TrueHD, up to high resolution 24-bit 192 kHz audio over HDMI and USB. Also added is support for USB-S/PDIF dongles which can enable users to connect SHIELD to older sound bars and audio receivers. All this however needs testing and confirmation if it works with Kodi's very latest nighty builds.

Quote:I have hooked up a nuforce usb-spdif adapter - my reciever is od and also has no hdmi, but does have spdif. the adapterl lights up, indicating that there is a stream at 192k
via geforce forum
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Maybe i should have made myself more clear. I prefer a all-in-one solution.
I do believe it's possible but I don't want to be in a situation that I need to search for a "working" DAC and also money wise it's not ideal, a decent DAC will cost you some Wink
Hi, I am still on the theme of how to get ATMOS fed from my NAS through an Android box running Kodi to my receiver. I understand that I could replace my Minix X8-H with a HiMedia Q5. I understand there are boxes and software out there from VidOn that are supposed to work -- perhaps even by loading their software on my existing Minix. But although I am willing to pay for a newer better box, plus, as a donor, I support Kodi... I am not interested in paying for a separate subscription. I see from Amazon queries that there are a few other folks asking about using Kodi with the Nvidia Shield for ATMOS. But the only link I found of someone having joy with ATMOS and the Shield is on the Shield Android TV forum. The suggestion there is to use Serenity until... "Kodi/Plex updates their apps to allow pass through".

Does any know? For example, do I just have to wait for Jarvis 16 and then just load it on my existing Minix (despite Minix support telling me earlier this year that they will not support ATMOS)? Or, since I am looking for a present for the holidays anyway... will there be a Shield-Kodi ATMOS solution this year yet?
Thecus N5550 NAS - Nvidia Shield - Marantz SR7009 with 7.1.4 - LG 55LA6918
(2015-10-26, 08:47)finov Wrote: Hello friends. I have a choice .. I need:
1. IPTV
2. VOD
3. 3D ISO
4. 4k video
5. Good work VU + PVR on Kodi with my VU+ Solo2 by WiFi!!!!
Wetek Core best choice, is that correct? Or NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV? Gigabyte BRIX GB-BACE 3150 (+8G ram +1Tb HDD)? Or another box?
Please advise.

WeTek Core:
1) Yes
2) Yes, if you mean 1080p HD Netflix apps and other streaming apps. Streaming from various Kodi plugins also works.
3) No. I believe 3D ISO's will have 3D in a MVC format, especially from BluRay. The only device recommended for that is the RPi2. Yes to 3D if its in the H-SBS format.
4) Yes HEVC/H264/AVC output at up to a Max 30Hz refresh rate for 4K/2K/1080p....
5) Should do. I feed TvHeadend PVR server streams from a C1+ into the Core to watch Broadcast TV in Kodi Android. Both H264 and mpeg2. Deinterlacing quality is very nice on the S812-H in the Core, using Hardware deinterlacing.

The nVIDIA Shield is doing Software deinterlacing I believe = Bob aka Blurry Bob. If that is the case it is no where near as good. Even a RPi2 would cream it with quality deinterlacing.

(2015-10-26, 11:19)schumi2004 Wrote: I agree on the Nvidia Shield (friend of mine has one) but for me it's a no-go since it doesn't have SPDIF.

Now i only need to find out how to easily switch between Android and OpenELEC without swapping SD cards all the time Wink
Maybe @wrxtasy can give me some hints on how to accomplish this? Wink
No swapping of SD cards needed.
Boot into Android Lollipop from the WeTek Core's inbuilt NAND memory. ie standard boot procedure and no SD card needed.
Click a micro SDHC card containing OpenELEC into the slot. Reboot Android and you are now in OpenELEC.

Shutdown OpenELEC, push the SD card once (it stays in its slot/holder). Now at this point the power cord has to be yanked to reboot back into Android. Not seamless like Triple booting on my C1+ from a single micro SDHC card, but Android Kodi on the Core is quick enough now that I'm not spending much time using OpenELEC anyway.

I do like how you can add Android Apps into Favorites in Android Kodi and select them from there. Exit the App and seamlessly your are back in Kodi.

My choice Wetek Core, I think. When a sale? What price?
1st November I believe. Not sure about price, maybe around 109 Euro possibly cheaper.

Whilst I remember....
I'm not happy about high bitrate mpeg2 TvHeadend streaming into the Core via WiFi. Lots of buffering when using Kodi Android and these TvHeadend streams. No issues streaming in other types of files. And no issues with OpenELEC via WiFi either.
Bear in mind this is a pre release testing box.

Like any platform, all these issues disappear when using an Ethernet connection.

(2015-10-26, 13:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Whilst I remember....
I'm not happy about high bitrate mpeg2 TvHeadend streaming into the Core via WiFi. Lots of buffering when using Kodi Android and these TvHeadend streams. No issues streaming in other types of files. And no issues with OpenELEC via WiFi either.

If it's off-air DVB then it's probably not that high a bitrate either - compared to Blu-ray content. The highest bitrate off-air stuff I've recorded was around 18Mbs H264 (from the early days of BBC HD when they had poor performing encoders...) - which is nowhere near as high as the 30+Mbs I get on some Blu-ray content.
(2015-10-25, 13:40)antman68 Wrote: wrx and j-m-s

Thanks for your advice so far.

I know that I said that a Windows box was overkill but would you see a problem with either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vensmile-BayTrail-...s=vensmile
http://www.amazon.com/VENSMILE-Computer-...s=vensmile

I think that, if I look around enough, I'll be able to find either for around or less than US$120 from someone who will ship to Oz.

The only issues I'm aware of is that, because the BT and wifi share the same chip, BT performance can get a bit shaky when there is a lot of wifi activity and it uses a UEFI BIOS, which, I gather, limits the use of other OS's and dual booting. With 2 full-size USB ports I could use a bluetooth dongle, if necessary, or a 2.4GHz RF dongle and remote/air mouse/keyboard.

Realistically, the 32GB model should be sufficient because there are not going to be many apps installed (this is just going to be, essentially, a streaming box) nor a lot of media storage (that will be stored remotely). The advantage, as I see it, is that there are no firmware issues because, well, it's Windows, Win 8.1 or 10 should not have any issues with deinterlacing or finding drivers, etc. and it might give a wider range of alternative uses should I decide to repurpose it down the track. It's also the same size as my Note 4 so it's easily hidden.

Thoughts?

Then...

(2015-10-25, 13:44)antman68 Wrote:
(2015-10-25, 13:41)fritsch Wrote: Avoid Baytrails ... the gpu is utter shit.

Even if I'll rarely use it for anything better than 720P?

So, would the Baytrail GPU be fine for 720P? Are there any other reasons to avoid one of the Windows mini PCs I linked to?
(2015-10-26, 11:22)Martijn Wrote: i read that the SHIELD is capable to use a USB->SPDIF converter

Does Kodi on Android work with anything other than Android audiotrack? A couple of users have reported on nVIDIA SATV forum that even USB DACs that work with other apps do not work in Kodi.
(2015-10-26, 12:52)wrxtasy Wrote:

Now i only need to find out how to easily switch between Android and OpenELEC without swapping SD cards all the time Wink
Maybe @wrxtasy can give me some hints on how to accomplish this? Wink
No swapping of SD cards needed.
Boot into Android Lollipop from the WeTek Core's inbuilt NAND memory. ie standard boot procedure and no SD card needed.
Click a micro SDHC card containing OpenELEC into the slot. Reboot Android and you are now in OpenELEC.

Shutdown OpenELEC, push the SD card once (it stays in its slot/holder). Now at this point the power cord has to be yanked to reboot back into Android. Not seamless like Triple booting on my C1+ from a single micro SDHC card, but Android Kodi on the Core is quick enough now that I'm not spending much time using OpenELEC anyway.

I do like how you can add Android Apps into Favorites in Android Kodi and select them from there. Exit the App and seamlessly your are back in Kodi.
Clicking SD card isn't ideal and still requires user actions but running Kodi Android is an option also.
I saw some youtube videos describing how to make Chrome boxes dual boot but don't think such is possible with WeTek.

One of the main reasons i'm looking for a Android box is for what you describe launching/running Android apps from within Kodi.
There is only 1 thing i couldn't find an answer for and that is if you can sleep/hibernate Kodi/Android and that your instant in Kodi again when you wake it up, is such possible on WeTeK + Kodi Android?
Or another option is that Kodi dev team make Kodi Android capable of being set as launcher.
/edit:
Just found XBMC launcher for my last option https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...cher&hl=en
I read a lot about the wetek core. Why is it better than any other S812 box from china?
(2015-10-27, 22:40)j-m-s Wrote: I read a lot about the wetek core. Why is it better than any other S812 box from china?

Support
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26