• 9(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
^^ All of my 5900rpm green drives can write at 115-120MB/s and read speed is about the same. I still don't know why reads from the unRAID array are only around 50-55MB/s on a gigabit network. I know the throughput is slightly over 100MB/s through my network.
Superorb Wrote:^^ All of my 5900rpm green drives can write at 115-120MB/s and read speed is about the same. I still don't know why reads from the unRAID array are only around 50-55MB/s on a gigabit network. I know the throughput is slightly over 100MB/s through my network.

That's strange... Although even on my freenas box to windows clients I only hit 70-80 MB/s average read spead on my array. Since it sounds like you only use it for one media center its not a big deal but for me sometimes I have both my media centers streaming large 1080p files at the same time and its nice to know the bandwidth is there if its needed. Since unraid is linux im sure your speeds are higher when connecting with other linux clients also. There are a lot of other variables also; for examble I had a linksys 320N router before I got the router I am using now and my speeds were not as good. I now run the netgear 3700 (bought for $75 refurbished from compUSA) and flashed the latest ddwrt firmware on it and its been the best consumer router ive ever owned. Dual band wireless N with gigabit lan and the processor on it has more than enough power to run anything ive thrown at it. I can download full speed do file transfers to my NAS and stream full HD without even a hickup which I was never able to do with the linksys router even with ddwrt mega loaded on it. What is your network setup? have you neen able to get read write speeds higher than 50-60 MB/s on other devices on your network?
flymods Wrote:That's strange... Although even on my freenas box to windows clients I only hit 70-80 MB/s average read spead on my array. Since it sounds like you only use it for one media center its not a big deal but for me sometimes I have both my media centers streaming large 1080p files at the same time and its nice to know the bandwidth is there if its needed. Since unraid is linux im sure your speeds are higher when connecting with other linux clients also. There are a lot of other variables also; for examble I had a linksys 320N router before I got the router I am using now and my speeds were not as good. I now run the netgear 3700 (bought for $75 refurbished from compUSA) and flashed the latest ddwrt firmware on it and its been the best consumer router ive ever owned. Dual band wireless N with gigabit lan and the processor on it has more than enough power to run anything ive thrown at it. I can download full speed do file transfers to my NAS and stream full HD without even a hickup which I was never able to do with the linksys router even with ddwrt mega loaded on it. What is your network setup? have you neen able to get read write speeds higher than 50-60 MB/s on other devices on your network?
I'm using an older Linksys WRG54GL router running DD-WRT and a newer Trendnet 8-port gigabit switch. Cat6 cables to all PC's, and gig NIC's on all but the XBMC box. I only have one media PC, and I rarely pull anything off the unRAID server to any PC other than the XBMC box. I haven't tested read speeds on other devices. I actually only get 50-55MB/s read speed from the unRAID server to my main PC on the test step of Terracopy when moving files to the server. One of these days I'll install a network bandwidth utility to the server.
I bought the QNAP TS-410, which was one of PoofyHairGuys recommendations. I'm having a terrible time with - I can't get transfers speeds above 10 MB/sec over my LAN.

I would like to try his other recommendation for an off-the-shelf NAS, but it seems like it has been discontinued.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good off-the-shelf NAS with a reasonable price/performance ratio? Poofy, do you have updated recommendations? I'm just using it for basic file sharing in my home.
thats weird, hmm,,,
i think the only other pre-made NAS he liked was the NETGEAR ReadyNAS's...
http://ow.ly/1sWi4T
dopethrone Wrote:I bought the QNAP TS-410, which was one of PoofyHairGuys recommendations. I'm having a terrible time with - I can't get transfers speeds above 10 MB/sec over my LAN.

I would like to try his other recommendation for an off-the-shelf NAS, but it seems like it has been discontinued.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good off-the-shelf NAS with a reasonable price/performance ratio? Poofy, do you have updated recommendations? I'm just using it for basic file sharing in my home.
Is everything on your network gigabit including the switch/router/cables?
Thanks Eskro. This might work.

Quote:Is everything on your network gigabit including the switch/router/cables?

The only thing in between the NAS and the computer is the router. I've tried a couple different routers. Right now I'm using a Netgear N600 gigabit wireless router. I'm considering trying a third router.

I'm using the cables that came with the router and with the NAS. I assume they are gigabit. Is there any way to check?

Shouldn't be an issue either way, because those are the cables I was using when I plugged the NAS directly into my PC, getting okay speeds of about 35 MBps.
Check the text on the cable. If it says CAT5e or CAT6 your good.

If it says CAT5 its an old slow cable
FWIW, I get roughly 90-100MB/s on my gigabit network from one PC to another, which is pretty good considering the theoretical limit of gigabit is 125MB/s.
Thanks guys. I think I figured out part of my problem. The cable that came with the new Netgear router is Cat5. I had that cable in the chain when testing the transfer rate from NAS-->router-->PC, all hardwired. I'm now getting about 60 MB/sec, which still seems slowish but acceptable.

However, when I try to transfer files wirelessly over the LAN, I'm still stuck at ~11 MB/sec. Should the wireless transfer rates be that much slower than hardwired?
dopethrone Wrote:Should the wireless transfer rates be that much slower than hardwired?

Yes, wireless transfers are always slower than gigabit cable. That's the tradeoff you make for not having wires Wink
i would be happy at ~11 MBs via WiFi Transfer..

here at home, i get only ~4 MBs via WiFi Transfer...

Both my WiFi card and Router are Single Band N Draft2 (300MBs)....
OK thanks guys. I'll stop worrying about it.Smile
eskro Wrote:i would be happy at ~11 MBs via WiFi Transfer..

here at home, i get only ~4 MBs via WiFi Transfer...

Both my WiFi card and Router are Single Band N Draft2 (300MBs)....

By the way guys, is this normal :/ ??
eskro Wrote:By the way guys, is this normal :/ ??

It is normal. Especially if your network is 2.4Ghz. Speed will vary due to interferences with neighbors 2.4Ghz networks. The best I ever got with a perfect line-of-sight between the router and HTPC on a 5Ghz band network is 14 MBs (no interference). But with non-line-of sight router-to-laptop on 2.4 Ghz network it varies from 4 to 6 MBs.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26