[LIVE] How to keep XBMC from adding mounted drives to media sources?
Question 
As the topic reads, how can I keep XBMC from adding mounted drives to media sources?

I've added some external usb-disks to my fstab ( in /mnt/ext-usb/WD500 etc..) to use for greyhole, but I do not want those files listed or parsed from XBMC.

I need to have XBMC not add to sources specific devices due to Greyholes need to only be accessed through samba shares.

Been looking through documents but coming up short.
Help would be appreciated.
Mounts in /media do not show up automatically IIRC.
Unfortunately, not the case.
The live system auto mounts plugged in devices to the /media/XXX and then something (XBMC?) auto adds it to the media sources upon plug in.

If I manually add the device to fstab in media to circumvent diskmounter, somthing (XBMC?) once again auto adds it to the sources.
I think there is a advance settings for this.
If you don't plan to delete the files from withint XBMC, then you should be fine.

Greyhole's recommendation that you only access the files through the shares is so that it can log modifications made to the filesystem. If you just read from it, accessing the files directly is fine.
I don't plan on doing any write operations, but I'm trying to have a clean layout. Having 4+ random sized drives listed (465.55gb, 1000.6gb drive... etc) in my sources is annoying and confusing to anyone using the box. For the moment I've just denied access to the mount points using permisisons.

Hey Mouton, noticed you said you are a dev for greyhole.. is it technically feasible to modify the samba vfs to capture file move operations from share to share and only update the symbolic link instead of recopying data?

I've thought about it and I don't see any reasons why this couldn't be done.. but you are smarter than me.. maybe you know something. Smile
It can't be done because Samba doesn't see that as a rename, because it not a rename. It's a copy then delete: copy file from share1 into share2 then delete file from share1 when the copy is complete. So a file write is logged, without any information as the where the data comes from, followed by a delete.

All OS (Windows, Mac, Linux) makes it simple for users to move files, onto the same, or a different partition, in a consistent manner, but behind the scene, moving a file onto a different partition is done quite differently than what happens when you just rename a file that stays on the same partition.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How to keep XBMC from adding mounted drives to media sources?0