ATV2 - SRT Subtitles not showing up
Hi,

While playing *.avi and *.mkv files on my ATV2, the subtitles doesn't appear. The subtitltes are *.srt format and it's exactly the same name as the video file (except the file extension).
Example:

movie.avi
movie.srt

I already restored my ATV2 firmware once, thinking that this could be related with the greenpois0n jailkbreak. However, after installing the XVMC for the 2nd time, I've faced the same issue.

Could some one give a help?

Regards,
Marco
Are you sure they are enabled ?

Srt subtitles should work perfectly, SSA subtitles wont work at all unless you turn off hardware decoding which defeats the purpose.
Hi,

Yes, I'm 100% sure that's enabled.

Rgds,
Marco
Hi again,

I figure out the problem. I was using unpn to access my WD My Book World Edition 1TB. Then, I tested by using SMB and the subtitles appeared!

This could be useful for those who are experiencing the same issue.

Rgds,
Marco
I'm still having problems with my SRT subtitles!
What I've done:
- updated to the latest 'official' XBMC version
- restored my backup

The first problem with Remote Share: Network is not connected is allready solved, but still no subtitles.

All my subtitles has the same file name as the movie file except the extension.

I'm using SMB sharing!

Is there anyone who can help me out?

Thx Rumble
make sure the .srt file has read permissions
rumble101 Wrote:Is there anyone who can help me out?

You didn't mention enabling and selecting subtitles in the OSD. Do that.
Dan Gleibitz Wrote:You didn't mention enabling and selecting subtitles in the OSD. Do that.
Subtitles are enabled and when I select the subtitle (SRT) manualy XBMC does nothing with it.

It's strange, before the upgrade everything worked fine...
Found the solution by myself ;-)

Code:
chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

Did the trick! After putting back the XBMC folder, you have to rebuild the permissions!

Glad it is resolved!
Hi Im a new one to the way of ATV2 and have managed to Jailbreak it and Install XBMC but I have the same problem with Subtitles. I see you have a solution but how do you implement the solution if you are a newb. Does any body have any instructions on what to do with the command line above.
What is OSD? Does it come with xbmc? How do I access it?
OSD - on screen display ... when watching a movie press and hold the select button on the atv2 remote ... this will bring up the osd ...
Ok, found it. Now I can also confirm that subtitles only work over smb, not dlna. Read on the net that srt subtitles is not part of the dlna standard, but rather need to be added to the upnp client as an extra feature.
Samsung has managed to pull this off on their tvs it seems like. Maybe a feature request for the xbmc team?
rumble101 Wrote:Found the solution by myself ;-)

Code:
chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

Did the trick! After putting back the XBMC folder, you have to rebuild the permissions!

Glad it is resolved!

YESS!!

Thank you so much !!
That fix mi issue. i wasn't able to see the .srt subtitles. after issuing that command and REBOOTING the apple tv, it works..
Thank you so much.
Unfortunately it did not work for me, my symptoms where the same, the cause was different:

After using the "XBMC subtitles" add-on, no subtitles were shown although the downoad completed succesfully.
In my case XBMC had read but no write access to the share, after granting write access subtites showed.

So basicly, improper access rights prevent subtitles to show.

Another eye opener Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 - SRT Subtitles not showing up0