Audio Setup Enhancements
As many users have difficulty getting all audio features functioning properly in XBMC it is suggested that a new audio setup function be added. Although many Linux users, otherwise known as Geeks, can manually configure settings many Live users have no experience with Ubuntu configuration files and have trouble even opening a terminal window.

When setting up audio in XBMC rather than make changes, exit setup, test changes, reenter etc. a better method would be to add
functionality to enable testing from within the audio configuration screen. A button would be added to the bottom of the existing screen labeled "Test Settings" and when pressed the user is presented with a modal screen consisting of tests to be performed.

As the user has already selected test parameters only the actual tests will be performed via this interface. Test files containing various audio formats will be included with XBMC to be used for testing to ensure that audio standards are maintained. The internal XBMC audio engine will be used for all testing. A sample file named chan-ID.wav is available from

http://www.halfgaar.net/media/chan-id.zip

These files will contain recorded voices speaking each channel followed by a 440hz tone as in "Front Left", "Front Right", "Center" etc. As each test completes the user will be prompted asking if the audio was properly heard. Audio formats for tests shall include but not limited to the following:

Mono, Stereo, AC3, DTS, TrueHD, PCM, Navigation Sounds at various bit rates.

Upon completing the test if any formats are unchecked a new suggested setting will be displayed to the user by polling the
audio interface and/or parsing the audio config files from /proc/asound in Linux, Windows registry or equivalent configuration files from other operating systems.

The user is prompted with the message "Do you want to try these setting?". If yes is selected XBMC in the background will change the settings and allow the user to repeat the audio test. If the user passes all tests the settings are saved and user is returned to the audio configuration screen. If required an asound.conf file will be automatically created.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
I stumbled on this from a google search and couldn't agree more with this request.. I'm currently trying to get audio setup correctly in Linux XBMC and while I'm not Linux expert - even the guides that exist today seem to vary wildly.

YES - having any kind of 'test audio' button in XBMC alone would save me a lot of time and frustration. Having it also adjust the lower-level settings/config files.. that would be too good to be true.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Setup Enhancements0