• 2(current)
Support the iOS development speed up
I've been using XBMC for years and love it! I don't have that much room for donations, but I donated 15euro's just now... I'll donate some extra when money's not as tight as it is right now Smile
johnsea Wrote:The USB connection will never be able to be a USB Host, it's a USB Client connection...

People keep saying that, but it's perfectly possible to mount USB devices on all current Apple iOS devices to the best of my knowledge. You have to provide external power, but once that's taken care of it's a straight device mount. The iOS kernel has had USB host support since before way before the camera connection kit came out for the iPad. You could probably just stick something in fstab and have it mount on boot.
shuntros Wrote:People keep saying that, but it's perfectly possible to mount USB devices on all current Apple iOS devices to the best of my knowledge. You have to provide external power, but once that's taken care of it's a straight device mount. The iOS kernel has had USB host support since before way before the camera connection kit came out for the iPad. You could probably just stick something in fstab and have it mount on boot.

Those iOS devices present a USB Host port via the iPod connector.

The micro-usb port is not the same as what's present on the iPod dock connector. Believe me, I've poked at this from the hardware point of view and the micro-usb port is USB device only.

You are talking Apple and Oranges here.
davilla Wrote:Those iOS devices present a USB Host port via the iPod connector.

The micro-usb port is not the same as what's present on the iPod dock connector. Believe me, I've poked at this from the hardware point of view and the micro-usb port is USB device only.

normally I hate it when someone says it can't be done, it's sort of an insult to hackers, and great minds.. but in this case i must concede (especially if Davilla says so) he makes seance it's like hooking a external usb to another external usb and expecting them to be able to talk to each other. i guess my dremil skills were for not as i don't need to have hdmi and usb plugged in at the same time.
chuckkay Wrote:normally I hate it when someone says it can't be done, it's sort of an insult to hackers, and great minds.. but in this case i must concede (especially if Davilla says so) he makes seance it's like hooking a external usb to another external usb and expecting them to be able to talk to each other. i guess my dremil skills were for not as i don't need to have hdmi and usb plugged in at the same time.

Pictures of the abuse one of my ATV2's took in my hands Smile

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...ems%2Fatv2
davilla Wrote:Pictures of the abuse one of my ATV2's took in my hands Smile

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...ems%2Fatv2

Eek

Thats taking one for the team.....Smile
i'm in with 10eur.. dont have that much atm, will spend more later Wink
Also thrown some $$$ into the hat. It was long overdue anyway. Thanks to the team for all the good work done (on any platform).
davilla Wrote:Those iOS devices present a USB Host port via the iPod connector.

What about a software implementation of the USB Host?
to get some more donators, as an incentive you could remove the 20second search disability for donators?
great work so far
Thanks heaps for the donations guys - it means a lot.

The first bunch have been used to send an iPad (16GB wifi) to Jezz_X so he can test skins out on a tablet. Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@merlinn31

go grep and read some datasheets of microcontrollers with device usb port and understand how this is beeing interfaced. There is no control over the 2 single lines and so a software implementation of a usb host is not possible. Just believe us.

Memphiz

PS: and back to topic ...
PSS: i donate some code ... Big Grin
Memphiz Wrote:@merlinn31

go grep and read some datasheets of microcontrollers with device usb port and understand how this is beeing interfaced. There is no control over the 2 single lines and so a software implementation of a usb host is not possible. Just believe us.

Memphiz

PS: and back to topic ...
PSS: i donate some code ... Big Grin

And a big thanks to you for all the code I've noticed you 'donate' over the last couple of weeks...Big Grin
I will be donating soon. I've been using XBMC on various devices for too long. Now that I just dropped some money on an Apple TV (specifically for XBMC), I'd love to see more work on that venue of XBMC.
I've been a lurker for awhile and decided to sign up today. but I work for a apple vendor an can get apple products CHEAP!

let me know if that helps!
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support the iOS development speed up3