Legally populating an XBMC setup.
Are you trolling me? Otherwise I'm going to have to question your reading comprehension skills. (Public school?)

Quote:Mass P2P lawsuits have been filed all across the United States in recent months, especially by companies dealing with adult content. They have embraced this new revenue stream by the dozen and new studios are joining every month.

Through these mass lawsuits the copyright holders are trying to obtain the personal details of (mostly) BitTorrent users who allegedly shared their material online. Once this information is handed over, they then offer the defendant the opportunity to settle the case for a few hundred up to a couple of thousand dollars, thereby avoiding a full trial and potentially even bigger financial penalties.

Now. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have no clue how Usenet works..

Then I'll let you figure out which of the bolded statements don't apply to Usenet.

And until someone posts a single lawsuit otherwise. I'm going to say it once again. No one has ever been sued in the history of these lawsuits for downloading anything. Ever. Anywhere in the US (not sure about your local laws).
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
So you seriously believe downloading pirated material from usenet is legal?

http://m.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/10/riaa-jury-finds/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/...e.pirates/
-stoli-
All the references are referring to lawsuits for SHARING files. I believe darkscout is pointing out that, unless you were to POST files on Usenet, you are not SHARING media. And thus, to date, no lawsuit has been successfully brought against anyone for DOWNLOADING. With regards to SHARING media, there has been hundreds of cases, as the references indicate.

The overall legality of the downloaded "pirated" content can be argued. Is there any difference between 1) recording a show on a DVR to watch then delete from 2) downloading a show to watch then delete? Does it make a difference if the person has a cable/satellite tv contract? Etc etc...
stoli Wrote:So you seriously believe downloading pirated material from usenet is legal?

http://m.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/10/riaa-jury-finds/

In proving liability, the industry did not have to demonstrate that the defendant’s computer had a file-sharing program installed at the time that they inspected her hard drive. And the RIAA did not have to show that the defendant was at the keyboard when RIAA investigators accessed Thomas’ share folder.

How exactly are the MPAA/RIAA going to access my "shared folder" on Usenet?

Quote:http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/...e.pirates/

That entire article is poorly written. It has nothing to do with 'downloaders'.

Morally, it's up to you.
Legally, you're in the clear.

There's a reason legalese is written the way it is. There are very seldom loopholes or other little things because people take advantage of that.

Just like Usenet, is 100% free and clear and you won't get sued.
Code:
Question still stands: Do you believe downloading pirated material from usenet is legal?

Edit: from any source?
-stoli-
stoli Wrote:Question still stands: Do you believe downloading pirated material from usenet is legal?

Edit: from any source?

From usenet? Yes 100% legal in US/my jurisdiction.

From BitTorrent: No, illegal.

Do you believe:
setting your VCR to record a show is legal?
asking a friend to record a show is legal?
asking on a website if anyone may have recorded a show that they could send you?
asking on a website if anyone in the past may have recorded a show that you haven't seen?

And what if the entire process is digital?
Code:
OP, there is no legal way to do what you're asking. If you're that adamant about paying for your content but don't want to deal with ripping everything or stripping DRM, buy the DVDs and stick them in the closet and then download everything. I don't see why you'd have any ethical dilemmas about that, and it is completely safe.
@NoPantsJim,

I get what you're trying to do.

Personally, I use SlySoft's AnyDVD HD and buy/Rip my own DVDs and BluRays.

Yes, it's time-consuming, but you get pristine quality and (with DVDs) XBMC can automatically handle multi-episode TV series discs if you rip to ISO. It doesn't handle it properly if you rip to folders/VOB.

I think for your situation I'd do a combination of buying AnyDVD and buying/ripping BluRay movies, and using QTFairUse to rip the DRM from iTunes TV shows.

The point is that you don't want to transcode the files you purchase, you just want to do the right thing, pay for it, then remove the ridiculous DRM so that you can store it/use it/play it as you please.

@darkscout, I get what you're saying too. It's not at all clear that it's illegal (in the US) to download anything. What if I own 600 DVDs, and I don't know how to get them on my computer? Is it illegal for me to download a digital copy of those DVDs from Usenet or anywhere else?

The MPAA/RIAA definitely don't want to test that in court, do they?

Basically, NoPantsJim is trying to do what he feels is right, and pay for his media. I applaud you for that.

But the media overlords aren't making it easy, are they?

(BTW, I personally believe that if new movies were $10 or less and old movies were $5 to purchase, even on BluRay they'd sell 20 times more stuff. I'd love to see a real scientific study on this. It sure would make it a lot easier to "impulse buy" a movie. And why the hell should I pay more for a BluRay than a DVD? It's the SAME CONTENT. They filmed it with the SAME CAMERA. The cost of the disc is almost identical. Once again, a case of artificially creating "value" where there is none by creating a "lite" version of your product (DVD) that has less features than the regular product (BluRay) so that you can charge more for it )

-Wes
Same content, but different quality. 1080p high bitrate video + HD audio vs 576p with 10 years old Dolby Digital. You a paying for better quality. A Yugo does the same thing (you drive around with it) as a Mercedes benz, how you drive in it and what features and quality does it have, that`s what makes up the price
darkscout Wrote:From BitTorrent: No, illegal.

Actually, that isn't true. While it's not nice, it's possible to download and not upload using bittorrent. It's kinda being a jerk, but it is legal, as far as I'm aware, as you're not sharing that way.
SpectreX Wrote:A Yugo does the same thing (you drive around with it) as a Mercedes benz, how you drive in it and what features and quality does it have, that`s what makes up the price

<hijack>
I disagree with your analogy. A Mercedes is made out of better stuff (especially a Diesel Smile ), and costs a LOT more to produce than a Yugo.

The quality distinction here is artificial. They film and produce the product at the highest possible quality, then they produce an inferior quality version (DVD) so that they can sell the higher-quality version (BluRay) at an inflated price.

The difference in marginal cost is entirely in the medium (disc) and it is negligible.

</hijack>
just rip the discs, it doesn't take that long at all with good hardware (:
No, there isn't a easy way to do what you want. I've given up paying for movies when I ran out of storage space for all my hundreds of titles. Having to purchase that all over again in BluRay is simply nuts. Purchasing discs only to illegally rip them makes little sense.

Looking forward to the future. Maybe Ultraviolet would make things easier but who knows. Until then there is little you can do if you want to pay for media.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
ethan_9219 Wrote:just rip the discs, it doesn't take that long at all with good hardware (:

Illegal in the US.
Code:
darkscout Wrote:Illegal in the US.

It's illegal to break the encryption, not to actually rip the disk. (which still makes it illegal, to be sure)

They will NEVER NEVER NEVER try to test this in court.

Think what would happen if they ever sued someone for putting all the media that they PURCHASED on their own personal computer for their own personal streaming use.

They run the risk of a court finding that we absolutely have the right to do this, then the floodgate opens for easy and free software to break AACS, BD+, etc. Maybe even bye-bye DMCA anti-circumvention provision.

(one can dream).

-Wes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Legally populating an XBMC setup.0