xbmc/ubuntu and remote desktop
Hi all,

I have got remote desktop setup, and installed tightvnc onto my windows system to gain access.

Is there a way I can access remotely access the ubuntu system while xbmc is running full screen on my TV (using VGA output) without interupption?

The reason behind it is that the system also runs my torrents. I want to be able to gain access into it so i can copy/move files and folders around from downloads into the correct folders for xbmc to use.

Cheers!
ricostuart Wrote:Hi all,

I have got remote desktop setup, and installed tightvnc onto my windows system to gain access.

Is there a way I can access remotely access the ubuntu system while xbmc is running full screen on my TV (using VGA output) without interupption?

The reason behind it is that the system also runs my torrents. I want to be able to gain access into it so i can copy/move files and folders around from downloads into the correct folders for xbmc to use.

Cheers!
Similar setup here. The way I do it is one of the following :
  • use the web access to your torrents (transmission allows this for example)
  • use a shell to move the file (ssh, etc.)
  • if using vnc while XBMC is running, you can hit "\" to enter windowed mode, minimize xbmc and do your stuff. When done maximize xbmc again. This is not ideal if you are watching movies at the same time, but it is fine for music.
There may be a way to create a "fake" monitor you would VNC to and have your TV considered as your secondary display where XBMC is displayed. I would be interested if somebody has done it, actually.

V.
I just created Network folders of all my linux Hard drives on my windows laptop to be able to move things around. (works if everything else is automated)
I have vnc set up to connect between my win7 rig and my lunux xbmc box. When I vnc in it is set to log into a separate user account. This means my family can watch a movie and I can vnc in and move files around without disturbing them. I tried to find the walkthrough that I used but I can't find it. Hopefully this tip will help you in your search.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Quote:I have vnc set up to connect between my win7 rig and my lunux xbmc box. When I vnc in it is set to log into a separate user account. This means my family can watch a movie and I can vnc in and move files around without disturbing them. I tried to find the walkthrough that I used but I can't find it. Hopefully this tip will help you in your search.

I tried to do that with vnc but it was too complex and I didn't find the guide you are talking about. Most guides depending on yuo logging on with ssh and opening the session.

I ended up with NX server instead. It is more of a out of box solution and better security and peformance.
For basic stuff, seems a lot of people forget that X11 has the ability to remotely display screens to your computer. Just ssh into X11 and run the app you want to use and the screen will appear on your computer...barring you're using another Linux or X11 capable machine.
We don't forget.
We just want ad-hoc, multiple and resumable sessions without using the command line every time.
bac522 Wrote:For basic stuff, seems a lot of people forget that X11 has the ability to remotely display screens to your computer. Just ssh into X11 and run the app you want to use and the screen will appear on your computer...barring you're using another Linux or X11 capable machine.
Back at school where we were using Unix workstations, this worked provided that we ran a "xhost +" on the client side. However I can't get this to work on Ubuntu. I have xbmc on Ubuntu 10.04, a laptop on Ubuntu 10.10. I do the following
on the laptop :
Code:
xhost +
ssh -p <port> user@xbmc_server
xeyes
And this fails with "Can't open display". I also tried a
Code:
export DISPLAY=laptop:0.0
but it is the same (I also tried putting the laptop IP instead of hostname).

Anything obvious I am missing?

V.
V-Turn Wrote:Back at school where we were using Unix workstations, this worked provided that we ran a "xhost +" on the client side. However I can't get this to work on Ubuntu. I have xbmc on Ubuntu 10.04, a laptop on Ubuntu 10.10. I do the following
on the laptop :
Code:
xhost +
ssh -p <port> user@xbmc_server
xeyes
And this fails with "Can't open display". I also tried a
Code:
export DISPLAY=laptop:0.0
but it is the same (I also tried putting the laptop IP instead of hostname).
I found the answer to this problem:
Code:
ssh -X -p <port> user@xbmc_server
V.
On my Windows machines i plug the TV into the s-video port and use the video driver to span both desktops. XBMC runs nicely on the TV while i use either the laptop or desktop setup. XBMC even supports blanking the other screen if you find it annoying. So far this has worked on both the Intel Onboard GFX and a NVidia MX4400. If you don't like s-video you can always use the VGA or DVI connectors on your GFX card or back of your lappy, I just dont have those inputs on the TVs i use. (Don't worry, i have VGA in the lounge room, just don't use multiple monitors in there Smile
I'm sure I've done the same thing in Ubuntu, span the desktops instead of cloning and then just drag it over there and choose your fullscreen method....hrmmm.
I always thought a port of the standard Terminal Services Client app in most Linux distros would be nice for XBMC4XBoX. On the XBoX the analog stick would make a nice mouse, or grab a USB converter and plug in a keyboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc/ubuntu and remote desktop0