[WINDOWS] Official HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
Please re-post all the buttons Sad
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
Have you confirmed that it's working with Harmony 650 ? I have one as well and wanted to know what will it take to make this guide work with it. Or maybe there's nothing that needs to be done.
links to pictures on page 1 are dead...
sufreak Wrote:Keymap File updates
The keymap file allows you to reprogram the default key mappings for a custom purpose. The file does not exist by default, so it has to be created. Official XBMC Wiki

Create a text file named keyboard.xml in
Code:
C:\users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\

Paste the following:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <k>UpdateLibrary(video)</k>
      <w>ToggleWatched</w>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>
Explanaton
k - a key that I use to force a library update
w - Toggles the 'watched' indicator
2...9 allows the number keys to type letters like an SMS message on a standard phone

I have created this file and am still not able to use this text style imput.

Anyone know how I can troubleshoot it?

I am using a Harmony one remote which I've setup as an MCE Keyboard. Navigation and all the buttons are working flawlessly. Just can't get the SMS-style text input bit to work.

I'm trying to make it wife-friendly.

I've double checked the location, the name, and the content of the file. I saved it in C:\documents & settings\Tom\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\

Is that the right place?

Could it be anything to do with my IR receiver driver? It's a MCE compatible receiver by HP but I've had to use some random hacked drivers to get it installed on windows xp.
thereddog Wrote:I've had my Harmony 510 set up with my HTPC for nearly 2 years now, and saw that in the OP sleep/wake weren't complete yet.

I am using the remote as a standard keyboard basically, using the standard Windows hotkeys. In the Harmony software it is identified as 'Media Center PC'

Since the Harmony software can't send specific commands, I needed to create a work around. I remembered that you could create a shortcut icon on your desktop that sends the sleep command.
How-to here

I then used AutoHotKey to map that shortcut to the F12 button. In the Harmony software the Power Off command sends the F12 button, which in turn activates the shortcut which puts the system to sleep.

To wake the PC, use the Power Toggle command within the Harmony software

Is it possible to have the Harmony remote turn off the PC instead of hibernate/sleep?

And is it possible to get the harmony remote to turn the pc on? via the usb ir receiver?
thebearnecessit Wrote:Is it possible to have the Harmony remote turn off the PC instead of hibernate/sleep?

And is it possible to get the harmony remote to turn the pc on? via the usb ir receiver?

To set it to shut down you can either create a short cut and set a bind to say F12 then add that to your configuration. The alternative is in windows to change the function of the power button to enter shutdown instead of sleep/hibernation. Then just make sure that you set the proper command in your controller. I haven't set it up but it shouldnt be too hard (there is a part in the harmony config where you can tell it what command to send for shutdown).

In order to turn PC on via usb receiver then your motherboard has to support it. I know the asrock does when enabled in the bios, but not sure about the rest, there is a thread where they talk about this in the forum. Though aparently its a problem if you hook up 2 devices (such as the IR receiver and a keyboard) since then the boot up wont work.
Does anyone have a way of switching profiles or audio sources with one click via the Harmony one - want to be able to switch between digital and analogue outputs for audio and films and I understand this can be done via profiles unless someone knows a better way? Thanks
siremastimus Wrote:Does anyone have a way of switching profiles or audio sources with one click via the Harmony one - want to be able to switch between digital and analogue outputs for audio and films and I understand this can be done via profiles unless someone knows a better way? Thanks

no idea mate sorry
(2012-03-02, 19:52)SebasMiles Wrote:
thebearnecessit Wrote:Is it possible to have the Harmony remote turn off the PC instead of hibernate/sleep?

To set it to shut down you can either create a short cut and set a bind to say F12 then add that to your configuration. The alternative is in windows to change the function of the power button to enter shutdown instead of sleep/hibernation. Then just make sure that you set the proper command in your controller. I haven't set it up but it shouldnt be too hard (there is a part in the harmony config where you can tell it what command to send for shutdown).

In order to turn PC on via usb receiver then your motherboard has to support it. I know the asrock does when enabled in the bios, but not sure about the rest, there is a thread where they talk about this in the forum. Though aparently its a problem if you hook up 2 devices (such as the IR receiver and a keyboard) since then the boot up wont work.

See this thread for completed sleep/wake setup:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77519
Please fix the image files (none are showing up) in the first post for basic setup..thanks
(2012-03-05, 13:35)siremastimus Wrote: Does anyone have a way of switching profiles or audio sources with one click via the Harmony one - want to be able to switch between digital and analogue outputs for audio and films and I understand this can be done via profiles unless someone knows a better way? Thanks

You can easily switch between profiles.

Use eventghost to press F12 (for example) when you press a key you're not using on your harmony.

Then use keymap tool to add in load profile when F12 is pressed to keyboard.xml

Sounds complex but took me less than 5 mins to setup & I can now switch quickly between kids & master profile, & more importantly, so can my 4 year old & my wife!

This is what my keyboard.xml looks like:

Code:
<!--Template XBMC keyboard file-->
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f7>LoadProfile(kids)</f7>
      <f6>LoadProfile(master)</f6>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Obviously you'll need to add the button press to key press function to Eventghost, but I'm guessing you're ok doing that, & if not there's loads of guides about, it's fairly simple, you'll just want to map a spare button on your remote to press a key that XBMC doesn't already use.

Sorry for the long absence. I'll work on getting the images back up.
Thanks for the guide, got it set up with very little trouble (only issue is if I only press left or right on the remote for a short time (milliseconds) it will just cycle left or right as if it's held down, holding a little longer works fine, I guess that's an issue with the remote though and I'm sure I'll solve it.

PS Working on Win7Ultimate, Harmony for Xbox 360 remote, SilverStone HTPC case which uses iMon/Median IR (set to MCE remote in settings).

Edit: I didn't need the pictures, it's not rocket science to figure it out and if you need pictures there's something wrong with you... No offence...
I've been trying to get this MCE Keyboard activity setup, i've done what the walkthrough says and set my keys but no keys work in xbmc. Why would this happen.
This set-up has worked great for me!!
Thanks sufreak

HTPC
Operating System: Win7 64-Bit Pro w/SP1
System: Intel Core2Duo 3.0Ghz / 4GB PC6400 DDR2 / ATI HD 7770 1GB GDDR5
XBMC Build: Kodi 14.0
Remote: Harmony One and HP Receiver
Display: 65" Toshiba dlp HDTV
XBOX
XBox Version: 1.6b
Xbox Mod: XboxHDM (Ndure)
Xbox Hard Drive: Seagate 400GB[/size]