VDR (LinVDR) PVR Addon back-end client (StreamDev or VNSI based) built-into XBMC?
Well this post is very old - obviously VDR isn't used by many XBOX owners!
(If you've not heard of it, read on..)

VDR being a very capable and long running DVB PVR application on Linux is perfect in bringing live TV / Time shifting / EPG based timed-recordings etc to the XBMC.

While the xstreamdev plugin gets us somewhere along the road - it's not seemed to have much work done on it recently and is sorely needing improvements, notably - live channel switching, support to pass remote codes onto VDR server, or preferably a direct stream of the VDR OSD.

Currently there are a few options for controlling a VDR box:

Xineliboutput whereby a stream of the output of VDR is channeled to the client - has support for remote control of VDR's menu, so you can record a channel being watched, browse the EPG, set Timers, view previous recordings etc. Obviously the hurdle with this option is there's no xine-lib DLL on XBMC... ;-)

VDR Streamdev-client: This is what's being used for the xstreamdev python script currently available, however it's never reached full maturity. It currently lacks support for streaming recordings from the server - though this could be achieved simply with a script parsing SVDRP output and Samba folders into one list. SVDRP - VDR's protocol should be improved soon and ideally would have support for all the main functions of VDR. Being able to cut out the adverts from your recordings while viewing them before instructing the vdr-burn plugin to archive the recordings would be fantastic.

I reckon VDR is ideal for people and only suffers from a lack of exposure - though it's massive in Germany, where the program originated. Because it's lightweight, under very active development, and can run on fairly limited hardware VDR, it's perfect for bolting onto your linux based file server - have one yet? ;-). Just plug in a couple of cheap DVB-T cards.

Running DVB software on a windows box doesn't make sense- people need an always on file & PVR server, and Windows is simply not an option for this. License issues aside - it's poor reliability, cost of ownership & terrible track record on security means I'll never again store the bulk of my files on a windows box.

While Mythtv has better support in XBMC than VDR, unless you've got another mythtv client in your house, I don't think there's any point having all the crossovers between XBMC and the PVR client. XBMC already handles music, video files, internet accessing plugins, very very well. Anyway, MythTV was designed around analogue capture cards, and though supports DVB very well these days still has many many strange things going on in it's design - X windows system? MYSQL backend??

As a client for a trusted & very functional bit of software handling the PVR side of things - *VDR*, the xbox would surely become the ultimate home accessory!

I'm keen on more work happening on this idea - I don't believe it's particularly hard work for a programmer with average skills, though I'm unable to program well enough at the moment. That's not to say I don't want to be involved with development, just more as a guinea-pig/opinionated user!

Maybe I need to convince some of the devs to give VDR a go.. try it - you'll like it and never want to watch normal TV again.

all the best

Alasdair

VDR here: http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr
Thumbs Up 
i totally agree. vdr is awesome and as mentioned above under very active development. @devs .. please give it a try Smile
Firsts of .. sorry for bumping this old thread, but i think it would be nice if XBMC would also support a VDR backend/server to stream LiveTV and recordings beside the recently added MythTV backend capabilities.
At the moment VDR streams are started very very slow and there's no possibility of changing the current channel, which could be done easily with the simply VDR protocol language (SVDRP) which is using a simple socket connection.

http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Svdrp
http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Xin...put-plugin

In case a developer is willing to give it a try i could offer a VDR for testing purposes.
VDRfan Wrote:Firsts of .. sorry for bumping this old thread, but i think it would be nice if XBMC would also support a VDR backend/server to stream LiveTV and recordings beside the recently added MythTV backend capabilities.
At the moment VDR streams are started very very slow and there's no possibility of changing the current channel, which could be done easily with the simply VDR protocol language (SVDRP) which is using a simple socket connection.

http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Svdrp
http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Xin...put-plugin

In case a developer is willing to give it a try i could offer a VDR for testing purposes.

I would love to bring VDR to XBMC, so much so that I'm going to be attempting this while at university.

Rather than focus on VDR specifically (or MythTV, or whatever), I agree with Gamester17, that work should be done on a universal frontend to the many PVR apps out there, with specific DLLs or plugins to interface with the PVR's server API.

discussion: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28918

This can only become a reality if more interest is shown by programmers willing to tackle this.
Sorry to resurrect this thread again but I just wonder how many people are actually interested in this?

I have had some success with modifying Xstreamdev and some server side code to enable seamless playback of recordings, which I think was the main stumbling block for Xstreamdev.

I have written to the author of Xstreamdev for some joint work on this but have had no reply.

So ladies and gents do I continue? Is there a demand for this?

Regards
John
sledgehammer Wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread again but I just wonder how many people are actually interested in this?

I have had some success with modifying Xstreamdev and some server side code to enable seamless playback of recordings, which I think was the main stumbling block for Xstreamdev.

I have written to the author of Xstreamdev for some joint work on this but have had no reply.

So ladies and gents do I continue? Is there a demand for this?

Regards
John

Yes. Please continue. What do you mean by "server side code"? Code within XBMC or the Streamdev-Server plugin?

VDRFan
Thanks VDRfan although the silence is deafening :-)

Are you able to compile code in particular fuse on your VDR server? If you can compile the fuse code from the fuse website then maybe we can try it if you are interested.

I have modified the XStreamdev code so thats just a matter of ftp'ing on to your xbox.

Regards
John
Yes of course. Ill send you a PM.

VDRfan
sledgehammer

I run vdr server in NA and use both XBMC for linux and xbox. I will be very interested to see built in client (or plugin/script) taking off. Please let me know if I can help somehow (testing, I am not a coder Sad)

Currently for connecting to vdr server I use vdr zapper (http://freakstuff.de/zapper) but this is windows only I believe.
As mentioned before mplayer do the job however there is no epg or anything else.
I am also using VDR and I would be *very* happy to see some progress here Big Grin
knatsch Wrote:I am also using VDR and I would be *very* happy to see some progress here Big Grin

Is this dead already? I also would be very interested in this kind of thing. I'm watching the MythTV-frontend discussion but i'd rather use vdr.
magick Wrote:Is this dead already? I also would be very interested in this kind of thing. I'm watching the MythTV-frontend discussion but i'd rather use vdr.

Good grief, give me a chance http://forum.xbmc.org/images/smilies/smile.gif. No its not dead its just that real life is getting in the way. uomiarz has offered some help with testing and as soon as real life can make some room I will tidy up the code just a little, then send it to him for testing the, as yet, very alpha code. More of a proof of concept than any thing else, although I have played back recordings using the modified Xstreamdev code that I have also had to write.

Best regards
Smile 
Really must learn how to drop smilies in properly
Just registered to say this:
I've spent last ~5 hours googling and browsing the various existing media center solutions for VDR support. The best VDR support for Windows platform I've found so far is VOMP, but it is rather constrained in features and too tightly bound with VDR.

What you are about to do sounds absolutely wonderful.
Hi!
I feel really sad that this project somehow doesn't attract more popularity. Sad
At least to me it seems that a combination of XBMC and VDR would be the holy grail of home entertainment systems. One machine (e.g. XBOX) which allows you to watch/record TV, watch movies/dvds, listen to music, look at your photos, even listen to the radio (via DVB), ...
Is there any code yet to look at? If yes, where? Is currently anyone working on this project?
Maybe we should announce this project on VDR's biggest forum: http://vdrportal.de/board/portal.php Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDR (LinVDR) PVR Addon back-end client (StreamDev or VNSI based) built-into XBMC?1