[Linux]XBMC on separate Screen
Hello,

i want to launch XBMC on my TV which is connected via HDMI and run a separate Xserver for my Desktop on DVI. I got an Intel i5-650 and i use the Intel Core GPU. TwinView works just fine, but if i open XBMC in fullscreen mode, its spread across both screens.

I tried to create two Xserver, but had no success. I can move windows over to the TV, but can't start anything with DISPLAY=:0.1 there. Here is my xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Desktop"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "intel0"
    Driver         "intel"
    BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option      "MonitorLayout" "HDMI1"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "screen0"
    Device         "intel0"
    Monitor        "Desktop"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1200"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

####### sekundärer Monitor ######

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "TV"
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "intel1"
    Driver         "intel"
    BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option      "MonitorLayout" "HDMI2"
    Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "screen1"
       Device     "intel1"
       Monitor    "TV"
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     24
               Modes    "1280x720"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "layout"
        Screen  0 "screen0" 0 0
        Screen  1 "screen1" 0 0
EndSection
On nvidia I configured my monitor and tv as separate X screens, then you can start XBMC on the tv with "DISPLAY=:0.1 xbmc", I did this using nvidia-settings, I don't know how to do that using xorg.conf though.
I searched the internet for hours and only found answers with people using nvidia cards and nvidia-settings. But i don't want to install a dedicated GPU. And i can't use nvidia-settings with my Intel GPU.
Maybe try changing
Code:
Screen 1 "screen1" 0 0
into
Code:
Screen 1  "screen1" RightOf "screen0"

And maybe add
Code:
Option "Xinerama" "false"
to the serverlayout section.
Doesn't work.

Maybe another idea how i could run XBMC in fullscreen on my second monitor? I don't care if i'm able to move the mouse over to it. Window mode is no option because i will always see the window around it.
Windowed mode is a must, because otherwise SDL will lock your mouse and keyboard to the 2nd screen if using separate X screens.

Use your window manager's window rules feature to put it into fullscreen mode (Gnome), or forced geometry + borderless + position 0,0 (KDE4 - fullscreen is broken in KDE4), or use wmctrl.
Thanks for your response! I'm doing it with wmctrl now. If someone has the same problem, just make normal dual monitor and start xbmc with some script like this:

Code:
# start XBMC
xbmc &

# wait until the window is there
var=""
while [ "$var" == "" ]
do
        var=$(wmctrl -l | grep XBMC)
done

# move XBMC to second monitor (change coordinates for your setup)
wmctrl -r XBMC -e 0,2120,500,300,300
# toggle fullscreen
wmctrl -r XBMC -b toggle,fullscreen
Argh, is there a way to keep the overscan values in windowed mode? If i restart XBMC now, the overscan values are gone.
If I may somewhat hijack this thread: Is it possible to configure XBMC to properly use 2 displays attached to one computer, e.g. a small screen to control XBMC, show info about the file currently being played, and a large TV for displaying movies?
Correct me if I'm wrong. If X is configured as dual-monitor (no separate X screen) you loose the ability to adjust display refresh rate to match video. So a 24p video, in a X screen configured with a 60Hz refresh rate for example, will be jerky. To prevent this situation I think that a separate X screen configuration is obligatory.

@Hammi, maybe the answer is inside bobo1on1's post : you can start XBMC on the tv with "DISPLAY=:0.1 xbmc", so with DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox you can launch firefox and load, for example, an XBMC web interface.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux]XBMC on separate Screen0