[WINDOWS]Ability to copy videos from within XBMC library to a Removable Drive
as the title suggest, an option to copy a audio/video from within the xbmc library onto a removable disk would be really nice.

When friends come over they ask me to copy something to their removable drives, then i have to search my whole pc to find where the files are Sad
Couldn't you just look at the path on the info screen to see where it is located? Then you don't have to hunt for it.
What kind of system are you using in which all your files are all over the place and require searching to find? This sounds less like a problem with XBMC, and more like a problem with the user.
lol sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead...
My media library is pretty awesomely organized...i just want to be able to send something from within XBMC to a removable drive...like one episode of a TV Show, i'd have to go to X:\tv shows\title\season\episode.xxx ...right click>send to > Z:\ ....thats quite a hassle...+ i dont get to show off my xbmc library in this way Sad
There is some merit to this actually....

Imagine the following scenario:

1) You have a server hosting all your media - perfectly well organised, either locally, or remotely.
2) You have a HTPC system - typical PC underneath your TV
3) A friend calls round and would like a copy of a movie, or you're about to take a short trip somewhere and want to take a movie with you.... why shouldn't you be able to choose a video from your collection and quickly copy to USB (right at the PC by the TV)?

I'm not saying it's amazingly high priority, but there's a logical use case there.
(2012-03-28, 18:42)AnalogKid Wrote: There is some merit to this actually....

Imagine the following scenario:

1) You have a server hosting all your media - perfectly well organised, either locally, or remotely.
2) You have a HTPC system - typical PC underneath your TV
3) A friend calls round and would like a copy of a movie, or you're about to take a short trip somewhere and want to take a movie with you.... why shouldn't you be able to choose a video from your collection and quickly copy to USB (right at the PC by the TV)?

I'm not saying it's amazingly high priority, but there's a logical use case there.
my point exactly, its not high priority, but it would be a really nice feature to have
(2011-02-26, 17:53)YodaEXE Wrote: What kind of system are you using in which all your files are all over the place and require searching to find? This sounds less like a problem with XBMC, and more like a problem with the user.

Not a problem with XBMC, just a nice feature.

My setup is a headless server running Amahi (built on Fedora) which holds all my media, then my media PC by my TV is just running XBMC on top of windows (for bluray support at the moment). Right now, if I want to copy a movie to a usb stick. My options are either plug it into the server and then use another machine to terminal in and copy the file, use another computer on the network to connect to the server, pull the movie and copy to usb, or plug it into my media PC, drop out of XBMC, copy media over from server. It'd be extremely nice if in xbmc, I could select a movie and then tell it to copy to the usb.
There's not a lot of support on the dev team for making XBMC do things outside the media-center requirements. It's a case of why make the program more complex in ways that don't enhance catalogueing/playing media.

You've just mentioned several ways to accomplish that task, the obvious one being a simple alt-tab to Windows and using it's Windows Explorer to do the job. It's a perfectly good tool for it. Why add the functionality to XBMC? Sure, it's convenient, but sometimes these features can add to bloat/errors, etc that have nothing to do with playing media.

It's a tough thing to balance between keeping XBMC focused on media and providing lot's of nice-to-haves. Nothing wrong with the suggestion and yes, it adds convenience, but it the bigger picture it's not likely to get much interest from a dev, or be accepted as a patch.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-30, 19:12)DDDamian Wrote: There's not a lot of support on the dev team for making XBMC do things outside the media-center requirements. It's a case of why make the program more complex in ways that don't enhance catalogueing/playing media.

You've just mentioned several ways to accomplish that task, the obvious one being a simple alt-tab to Windows and using it's Windows Explorer to do the job. It's a perfectly good tool for it. Why add the functionality to XBMC? Sure, it's convenient, but sometimes these features can add to bloat/errors, etc that have nothing to do with playing media.

It's a tough thing to balance between keeping XBMC focused on media and providing lot's of nice-to-haves. Nothing wrong with the suggestion and yes, it adds convenience, but it the bigger picture it's not likely to get much interest from a dev, or be accepted as a patch.

yeah i totally get your point Smile ...thats why it was just a 'suggestion' Tongue anyway, XBMC is the best at what it does...
Could this be done as an addon?
stupid question
Why not just use the File Manager within XBMC?
(2012-03-30, 19:12)DDDamian Wrote: There's not a lot of support on the dev team for making XBMC do things outside the media-center requirements. It's a case of why make the program more complex in ways that don't enhance catalogueing/playing media.

Well...

XBMC has support for 'importing' Audio CD / Ripping, so why not exporting?

If it's PURELY for media catalog / presentation / playback then why support ripping (which I think is a valid and good feature)?

Geekiness aside, and put your consumer goggles on... which is the more plausible function of a media center?

a) To controland access your library remotely via a web interface
or
b) Backup / Copy a media file to USB drive

Of course there are alternative ways to achieve the goal, but XBMC in some systems is pretty much a black box (to the user) and should never expose the underlying O/S nor expect a user to be au fait with file mode.

I'm sure devs might see it as a step too far, but I still think it has logical merit and does fit into the frame of 'media hub feeature'.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS]Ability to copy videos from within XBMC library to a Removable Drive0