[Linux] Adding PVR functionality to a LiveCD installation
Hi,

I have as Asroc HTPC with a LiveCD installation running a recent build of XBMC taken from Git with patches for tickets 10923 and 10978.

I have an Elgato Hybrid USB DVB/T tuner module which I would like to use with this configuration. I know that XBMC can now act as a front end for a number of PVR solutions. I am not interested in the PVR application's own interface, but rather in it's integration into XBMC as an integrated solution.

So, what PVR solution would you folks recommend, and are there any HOWTO guides dealing with the installation ontop of a LiveCD installation for use with the above hardware. Testing each of the offerings would be quite time consuming, so I'd appreciate input on:

1. Integration with the XBMC TV Shows library.
  2. Ease of navigation.
  3. Use of an EPG to record individual shows and series.
  4. HD compatibility (although I'm not sure if the Elgato Hybrid supports Freeview-HD).
  5. Support for DVB-S should I wish to add that.

Thanks,

Steve
Until the developers release the PVR enhancements I'm using the Mythbox add-on. It gives full live tv/epg/recording capability. The one thing it doesn't do is integrate the recordings - those you have to access via the mythbox interface.
Forgive my ignorance, but what PVR functionality is planned for XBMC? Is it intended to provide bundled PVR functionality as part of the standard distribution, or are we expected to pick a PVR solution and then install the appropriate XBMC plugin?

I'm a bit in the dark on this, and so want to be sure I pursue the appropriate route. I'm more than happy to try the latest and greatest, and suffer a little pain for the privilege, but I don't want to setup something that proves to be a technological dead-end!

Could somebody in the know please explain the XBMC PVR strategy and expectations?

Thanks,

Steve
Check out the stickied threads in the PVR Development forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Adding PVR functionality to a LiveCD installation0