xbmc live or xbmc+ubuntu mobile ...
hey guys/gals,

i have some HTPC hardware sitting on a fedex truck somewhere and am trying to figure out exactly how i want to go about running XBMC. i'm going to be using an atom/ion2 board, so running ubuntu mobile is the only constant i'm sure of right now.

what i'm trying to figure out is how much access to normal ubuntu does an XBMC Live installation offer? i'm referring to installing xbmc via an xbmc live image, or installing ubuntu mobile and then loading up xbmc.

i'm thinking i'll have the XBMC interface up 95% of the time, but would like access to the normal Ubuntu shell if i need it. specifically to make changes to Syngery which i plan on using to control the HTPC from my macbook (sweet ass software, check em out http://synergy-foss.org). from what i've read, you can access the standard Linux virtual consoles through alt+F1-6, with alt+F7 taking you to an XWindows display.

so the questions are:
1. is this xwindows display the typical ubuntu gnome interface, or something different?
2. if something different, how can you access the typical gnome interface from ubuntu while running xbmc live?

my reasoning for leaning towards xbmc live vs. xbmc on top of an ubuntu installation is i'd rather have everything set up out of the box, and i've read that xbmc live comes with a slightly different configuration as well as allowing network and power management from within the XBMC interface.

thanks to all that help in advance!!!
uschxc Wrote:1. is this xwindows display the typical ubuntu gnome interface, or something different?
2. if something different, how can you access the typical gnome interface from ubuntu while running xbmc live?

XBMC live does not use/install the gnome desktop, it runs with less overhead (and thus potentially more smoothly). You can install the gnome desktop in addition - there are threads on this in the forum.
Quote:2. if something different, how can you access the typical gnome interface from ubuntu while running xbmc live?

You can add the Ubuntu Full desktop enviornment to any existing Live Install just see this thread and start with Post #5.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91210
rebuilding ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc live or xbmc+ubuntu mobile ...0