I want access to my movies/tv shows on server at home using xbmc at another location
Hi All,

Hmmm? I read and read and search somemore and I must be missing the big easy answer. But what is so hard about setting up a server at home and accessing it's video content over the internet on my xbmc live machine at say work? I've setup tversity on my server and can access my movies/tv shows on either my Phone or my pc using say vlc player. I've created a static IP using no-ip in that setup. It works well streaming SD content which is a great start for now until I get access to high upstream for HD content. For the life of me I just cant figure out the settings in xbmc live to access my videos either the same way or using say xbmc on the server as even a upnp setup. I can't find much on the subject accept some small past stuff with the origina xbox from a thead starting back in 2005 which made it seem like they got it working but not a how to in detail. I'm suprised that this hasn't got a major string on it. Is there a step by step guide maybe I'm missing? Any help would be great as I know that there has to be more people out there wanting to do this.

Thank you,
S
uPnP is frequently blocked by ISPs. It's not a terribly secure protocol and isn't really designed for use across the Internet. By contrast Tversity is designed for Internet streaming, so it's not surprising that it works much better than uPnP.

JR
Ok I guess what I'm looking for inside XBMC Live is a way to set it up to access the shares at home on the server. When accessing them through my phone or pc I would open up a browser say IE and type in http://MYIPADDRESS:myvnc.com:41952 .(once there it changes the address to http://MYIPADDRESS:myvnc.com:41952/medialib) It would then ask me for a login in user name password or I could have put it in the address just after the http://. It would then display folders that I'm sharing from my server at home. I can click on a folder like in XBMC when using the video button (File mode) instead of movies or tv shows in library mode. Then click on the movie folder/file and it streams to my phone or pc using tversity at home and a media player opens on the phone or pc and plays the file. Wow that was simple. So when setting up a share in XBMC it has the same options when filling out the HTTP:// stuff for each piece of the info I use in the web browser on the phone or pc. So what could be holding this up from working the same way? Thinking about it this is the same thing we do in XBMC when we access say youtube. So there has to be a simple way to figure this out that I'm missing. Any help would be great as I would like to see this become a reality and so would other folks in my area which I've helped setup XBMC systems for.

Thank you for your time...
Sounds like it would be easier to setup a VPN and load the shares into XBMC. You could do this using Logmein Himatchi for instance. You would need some serious bandwidth to do HD though. Currently, I use subsonic/airvideo to stream all of my content to a web browser when I'm away, but I can also just browse my files and play them using Himatchi if I want to.
you can also use FTP and setup an ftp server at home. Works fine with AVI files, but don't even try MKV's (720p/1080p) as it won't work.
Some Googling suggests that the most popular way to connect XBMC to Tversity is via uPnP, which brings us back to your original question.

You could try adding a source of type "Web server directory" and feed in the details for your server. It might work. I'm a bit surprised it's so hard to connect XBMC to an Internet Tversity server, not that I've ever tried. It probably wouldn't be hard to write an add-on to do it.

JR
I actually tried doing that (creating source type of web server directory) with orb.com but unfortunately it didn't work and i have no idea how to write an add-on for it so i pretty much gave up Sad

jhsrennie Wrote:Some Googling suggests that the most popular way to connect XBMC to Tversity is via uPnP, which brings us back to your original question.

You could try adding a source of type "Web server directory" and feed in the details for your server. It might work. I'm a bit surprised it's so hard to connect XBMC to an Internet Tversity server, not that I've ever tried. It probably wouldn't be hard to write an add-on to do it.

JR
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the reply's. I did setup an FTP client streaming from my home server and got the computer at work to see it with XBMC on that computer I then setup xbmc on that laptop to share upnp and was able to get the xbmc live to see the laptop XBMC and yes I was able to steam from the server to my work laptop to XBMC Live machine but for some reason I couldn't stream directly to the XBMC live machine. I'm only trying SD content and that fine for my setup for now. Yet I do experience constant stuttering which I'm wondering if the FTP limitations might be the problem. Why others in the past claim to use there Xbox's with XBMC to stream from a friends house and work is beyond me and there not clear on their setup and how they did it but that they did. That was back in 2006. The net services have gotten much faster and available to us so why I'm having such a hard time doing this is beyond me. There has to be people out there using this type of setup to travel with or even just go on vacation and access some Wi-Fi or network of some type and do this.

Any more help would be great.

Thank you again,
S
The obvious limitation of this setup is the upload speed of your home connection. MKVs work if you have a good upload speed.
sure I can understand what your saying. yet why can I stream say the same video file to my laptop pc running program Vlc without a hickup. It streams just fine that way but I would like the xbmc live computer to display the same file as well without a hickup. it really shouldn't be this hard. lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I want access to my movies/tv shows on server at home using xbmc at another location0