Did I make a mistake using ATI?
Rainbow 
Hey,

I bought (on impulse) from craigslist an MSI Wind Box which has a dual core 1.66ghz atom, with an ATI graphics card.

It has a blu ray player, and 4gb of ram.

I consider myself pretty techy, just very linux n00bish, so I apologize.

I hear XBMC (which up til now is running off my xbox and can no longer handle my new video rips) does not like ATI graphics.

So I went through the steps of burning XBMC Live to a DVD and popped it in, and installed everything. Looks like it went smoothly.

Only after I took the disc out, and it auto shutdown, and I turned it back in. It takes me to like a console screen, and asks for my username, so I put in xbmc. Then it asks for a password, and i put in xbmc (what I made it for simplicity), and then says Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32 etc, etc, etc.

Basically fills my screen with text and then has a prompt to run commands/etc.

Can't figure out how to boot into XBMC, but I assume it should be booting into XBMC.

I formatted, and did it again. Same issue.

Am I missing something, did I make a bad purchase, can I fix this?

I looked through this forum and couldn't quite find resolutions to what I was looking for, and unless I truly suck Google hasn't help me either.

Thanks in advance guys.
It's not that XBMC doesn't like ATI. It's more like ATI doesn't like Linux. ATI kinda sucks when it comes to play HD content on Linux.

Anyways, get a look at this wiki page. It's a good start to understand the inner works of XBMC and install needed things.

In any case, XBMC just prefers Nvidia because it provides VDPAU.

Hope you figure it out. Feel free to ask if in doubt and welcome to the forums.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
thanks for the warm welcome to the forums.

I am trying. I need to learn more of this stuff.

I will follow the link you sent me, and let you know how it goes or if I have questions on the way.

Much appreciated.
HAHA!

Well the good news is it now boots.

The bad news is I have more stuff to configure and install.

A few questions, and I hope nobody minds answering them (especially in this same thread)

It auto boots to xbmc. How can I get to like the console? to apt-get more stuff.

I also have this remote; http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...-_-Product

I tried using the instructions on that same wiki page but could not find that brand. Any tips, or do I need to buy a new remote?

One last one. Is Blu-Ray support enables by default?
I think that's it for now.

Cheers
impulse88 Wrote:One last one. Is Blu-Ray support enables by default?
I think that's it for now.

Cheers

Blueray in Linux is supported in the next release, Dharma 10.1 AFAIK. It will not work with encrypted discs though so I don't really know what the point is.

There is an addon that allows you to use Make MkV to remove encryption from the disc so it will play. You have to have Make Mkv installed first and I'm not certain if it is available in Linux.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
From XBMCbuntu guide:
Quote:Alternately, you can attach a keyboard and switch out of XBMC to a text console by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 through CTRL-ALT-F6, you can switch back to XBMC with CTRL-ALT-F7.

Best way to manage the system do, is to SSH into the system from another computer. It's both convenient and easier. You need to install openssh first:

Code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

If have a computer with windows, just use putty.

If you're using Linux, use ssh tool.
Find out IP of the XBMC system. User is xbmc and so is the password, if you didn't change anything. Open terminal and write something like ssh -v -l xbmc 192.168.1.101
In putty, just put the ip, user and password in the respective fields.

I don't know that remote. A good start is to first find out what remote it is. Follow the steps in this page.

Start by issuing the command:

Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

That will tell you some very important information like the hardware id (HID) and vendor id (VID). For instance, the hama remote is identified by 05a4:9881.

Then google for that string. 05a4:9881 lirc, 05a4:9881 linux lirc are the best bets. 05a4:9881 ubuntu is also good.

h.udo

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
If your remote doesn't work out of the box, take a look at this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88560

I've managed to get 2 remotes (1 partially working and 1 not working at all) 100% working using that Smile
htpc guy Wrote:Blueray in Linux is supported in the next release, Dharma 10.1 AFAIK. It will not work with encrypted discs though so I don't really know what the point is.

There is an addon that allows you to use Make MkV to remove encryption from the disc so it will play. You have to have Make Mkv installed first and I'm not certain if it is available in Linux.

MakeMKV works fine in linux, you just have to build it from source. I've used the plugin on my live box before.
a big SUPER THANK YOU to everyone offering up help here, and putting up with me.

Also thank you for the remote advice. I will look into that.

I will also look into this whole MakeMKV thing but it's on the bottom of my list.

I also have openssh server installed. HOw to configure it, and connect via a mac will be a learning experience for later as well.

Another thing on my chopping block is that I took for granted the FTP Server built into XBMC on the xbox.
For me its the easiest way to grab files and edit a couple things quickly.

Now I did some googling and read that VSFTP is the best, and most lightweight option here.
I used apt-get install and and installed it.

Howto set it up, and make it auto run upon pc boot in the background is beyond me, especially only being able to use a console.

I found a tutorial on google, but it did not look start to finish or that the person really knew what they were talking about so any help here would also be grand.

Hudo, and Mindzai I will try to tackle the remote shortly, and let you guys know how I do. Both your resources are super helpful, so thank you.
You don't need to use an FTP server. If you have openssh installed, you already have SFTP working trough ssh. One less process running on the backend.

Take your time, we're here to help. Good luck.

h.udo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Did I make a mistake using ATI?0