Sound Equalization?
I've been digging through threads left and right, and have yet to find a solution for sound equalization. Often times, especially in Movies (but also in TV Shows), sounds such as gunshots will be louder than dialog.

I've heard that I should be adjusting the dynamic range compression, but I cannot find that option in the OSD, or even in system settings. Was this removed?

I've also read on here to use ALSA (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=72667), but those instructions don't work for me, and they were even specifically for an ION board, which I have.

Can anyone help me out with this situation? Lead me in the right direction? Talk down to me, even if it means acting as if I'm the stupidest person on the planet?
Which audio configuration did you have? Analog or Digital? 2.0 or 5.1 or else?
Didn't help System->System->Audio Output->Boost Volume Level on Downmix?

Else you can enable an alsa equalizer by following this howto: [LINUX] HOW-TO use ALSAEQUAL real-time adjustable audio equalizer for ALSA with XBMC.
Let me now.
I'm sorry, I didn't mention that I use digital through HDMI. I just set it to 2.0, because I hadn't realized it was on 5.1, and I only have the TV, no speakers.

Boost Volume Level on Downmix didn't help, but I haven't tried it on 2.0 yet. To be honest, the more I try to force myself to hear a difference, the harder it becomes. The benchmark I've been using is the beginning of The Dark Knight where the bank robbery occurs, and the disconnect in volume comes from the bank teller's voice and his shotgun blast. It's probably not the best determination, but I can't pick out anywhere else this happens on command. Any suggestions on that too?
I find a lot of 5:1 source downmixed to 2.0 can suffer these problems. Often the music becomes a lot louder than the dialog and the sound effects feel too loud.

I think it's because the dialog mostly comes out of the centre speaker and is not mixed to the L&R properly and this inconsistencies occur. Some sources of film are worse than others so it's probably not a good test to use that as your control.
What would you recommend to use as a control? Also, how can I mix it so that I can "fake" a center speaker?
I like mr damnation need assitance, it seems for me when i have hdmi enable and set to 5.1 with ac3 passthrough I only get the sound effects and music, speech volume is so low it is barely audible. I will try the mixer and link and report back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound Equalization?0