USB DVD Drive
Hi,

I have made a media player using a stripped down Laptop, putting all the components needed into an old VCR chassis and installing XBMCLive.

The DVD Drive needs to be connected via a USB dongle due to the layout of the chassis, but this is not being seen by XBMC. I know the setup works as I had Windows 7 (with XBMC) installed previously and the drive worked fine, so I believe the issue is that XBMC Live is not recognising the USB dongle.

I have zero knowledge of linux, so if I need to get more info please give me example commands to use!

Version of XBMC: Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-26-generic
Linux Distribution and Version: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS - XBMCLive Dharma
Architecture: i686
Install Method: Live CD installed to IDE HDD
SVN Revision: not sure (10.0 r35648 ?)
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: Boot XBMC, insert a DVD.
FULL Debug Log: N/A ?
Backtrace: N/A
Compiler Output: N/A

I know others have had issues with USB Drives so I am not expecting this to be a simple fix, but any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Okay, I connected via putty and used lsusb, which showed the USB adapter as detected, so I think this is good news - the DVD drive was detected when connected directly, and the adapter is detected....

Then I un-plugged the adaptor, then plugged it back in, guess what - the DVD is recognised!Big Grin

So it looks like the setup is working, but only if I disconnect and re-connect once XBMC is running.

Is anybody able to suggest how I can do this automatically? I want a relatively simple setup, so I don't want a cable hanging out of the box that needs to be plugged in if you want to play a DVD!!

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB DVD Drive0