ubuntu 10.04 onapple tv
Ive decided i want to install a full ubuntu desktop on my apple tv. Ill change the desktop from Gnome to something lighter once its installed. im just wanting to use it for xbmc and for writing simple programs through ssh to my schools unix computers. But the guide's on the internet are for ubuntu 7.04 and im wondering if 10.04 is any different. Has anybody had success with doing this? Any shared experience would be great.
nothin? ok. i guess ill just have to install 7.04
The recommended install is hardy. You'll want to do a minimal install using atv-bootloader, and then build up from there. The ATV is not like other computers and you have to allow for this. Davilla has built up an excellent tool set, detailed instructions and a great mailing list where people have tried all kinds of installs (xbmclive, mythbuntu, etc) and different flavours of *nix (gentoo, arch, debian/ubuntu).

If you are dead set on doing something different from the standard (ie Hardy) install - I recommend you read the mailing list 1st. I've had some success with Karmic - although crystalhd has issues with it sometimes. The recommended net install does not seem to work properly with images greater than Karmic. There is some discussion about making a hybrid installer with a Lucid net installer and a Karmic image. It's not for the faint of heart.....

Read the mailing list. Karmic and above have some memory usage issues on the platform (this seems to be brought out most starkly with myth installs according to some listers since it seems more memory hungry than xbmclive)

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Jim
Ok hardy sounds good. Ill give that a try

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ubuntu 10.04 onapple tv0