[Linux] prevent XBMC Idle shutdown during ssh
Hi!

I am often connected via ssh to XBMC. Now it happens very frequently that the "idle shutdown timer" triggers a shutdown although I am still connected.

Is there a way to temporary prevent the shutdown? Maybe just by increasing the timer? ( I know I could increase this idle timer within XBMC but I would wonder if there isn't an shell alternative)

During reading through the different log files on the system, I could nowhere find a log entry regarding what triggered the (last) shutdown(, so the above is just an assumption). Shocked
Either I am blind or its just not there...

any help appreciated! Big Grin

cya
nobody?

(bump :/ )
there are 2 priveleges normally for this, one allows for shutdown when only one user is active and another allows for shutdown even if multiple users are active. So it depends how you have set it up, normally on ubuntu desktop only the one user shutdown is active and the other asks for extra privs when it occurs. On live I think this should hold true aswell but I am not 100% sure, you can revoke your user the access to allow for multiple user shutdown via polkit
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
from what I can observe in live 10
stop-muliple-users & restart-multipel-users is set to <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>

In 9.11 it was allowed. However, you can still reboot with an active ssh session with the default setup. It takes a background x session e.g. gnome to stop xbmc from rebooting and I assume also shutdown.
Somehow I'd say idle should not cause it but explicitely call it in the shutdown dialog perhaps should, I doubt we can do that though.

Anyways, I'd say that is not how it should behave, if someone is logged in through ssh it should not shutdown, thats wrong. Please submit a ticket for it and how to fix if possible.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
thanks for your answers....

I am still not sure what is causing the shutdown though.
In which log should there be an entry for it because before opening a ticket I want to be sure...

[
Quote:stop-muliple-users & restart-multipel-users is set to <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
In which xml can I find this? :confused2:
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy
jepp its
Code:
<allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
Hmm, and whats the solution for this "problem" ?

Cause i do many things vias ssh too, and the idle-shutdown was freaking me out in a lot of situations.

So i turned this nice idle-shutdown feature OFF Sad
tbh I dont!
The situation is quite wired.
Yesterday I was connected to my XBMC via ssh over an hour and it did not shutwdown

I cant find anything regarding the shutdown in any log... so I am still not sure...

But its "good" to hear that I am not the only one who suffers under those circumstances, though :/
vikjon gave the solution I would say.

if this
Quote:However, you can still reboot with an active ssh session with the default setup. It takes a background x session e.g. gnome to stop xbmc from rebooting and I assume also shutdown.
is the solution then I dont understand it. What do I have to do?Oo

What I found out in the meanwhile is, that the shutdown does not happen as long as my TV is off...
vikjon0 Wrote:from what I can observe in live 10
stop-muliple-users & restart-multipel-users is set to <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>

You quoted the wrong part.

Sorry, I still dont understand ... :/
In my case its also <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
What should be instead?
It can, afaik (see topfs2 I did the acro), be yes, no or auth_admin so I guess try "no" but to be honest I am not sure it will work. As far as I could observe the ssh did not seem to count as a "session" in this context.

Another option would be to do the google on the information you gathered here and see what pops out in the other end.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] prevent XBMC Idle shutdown during ssh0