[PS3] Ways to get XBMC running on PS3 or Alternatives?
Just love my Apple TV2 running XBMC but I'm tired of medialink connecting my Airport Disk to my PS3 via my mac book pro. Just doesn't work very well.

I want XBMC on my PS3 for that reason that I hate PS3's GUI. But what's my options really? I know Fail0verflow is getting sued, however is there a safe way to get their download and instructions to hack the PS3 and install Linux, and thus XBMC? I don't want it for hacked games, just for a true media server.

Or are there alternatives? I'd rather not buy new hardware, just use what I've got. I've also got a Wii if that helps somehow...
Welcome. Please search the forums. This has been covered numerous times over and over. To sum up: XBMC does not run on the PS3.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

beatledud Wrote:Just love my Apple TV2 running XBMC but I'm tired of medialink connecting my Airport Disk to my PS3 via my mac book pro. Just doesn't work very well.

I want XBMC on my PS3 for that reason that I hate PS3's GUI. But what's my options really? I know Fail0verflow is getting sued, however is there a safe way to get their download and instructions to hack the PS3 and install Linux, and thus XBMC? I don't want it for hacked games, just for a true media server.

Or are there alternatives? I'd rather not buy new hardware, just use what I've got. I've also got a Wii if that helps somehow...

What exactly is your problem with the appletv?

You can use WiiMC on your Wii, but it's basically barebones (akin to the Video mode in XBMC, but even less flashy). It gets the job done, but don't expect to play any HD content whatsoever.
jmarshall Wrote:Welcome. Please search the forums. This has been covered numerous times over and over. To sum up: XBMC does not run on the PS3.

Cheers,
Jonathan

UPDATE:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102155

kapaw Wrote:XBMC running on PS3 using Linux:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCSdV6DhYnw

The problem right now is that XBMC is running very slow because the graphical processor of the PS3 is not used. But according to Gitbrew's twitter they're working on a driver for the processor right now: https://twitter.com/#!/gitbrew

So it might be possible to use XBMC on PS3 very soon!
Sorry to bring up old thread but the RSX driver for PS3 has obviously been released.

I assume this means that XBMC on the PS3 will become a reality very soon through linux.

Not asking Devs here to do anything just asking for confirmation as I'm not the most technical person.
Jmarshall is one of the main people in the development group and has a large say in where XBMC is going. He posted in this thread. That's your answer.
i wouldnt wait after the PS3 if i were you,,,
TugboatBill Wrote:Jmarshall is one of the main people in the development group and has a large say in where XBMC is going. He posted in this thread. That's your answer.

I guess that was my question, I'm assuming nothing needs to be done by xbmc community and the ps3 can now just run Linux with the Linux version of xbmc. So all I was looking for was confirmation that it was just this easy I'm not asking anyone to port xbmc to the ps3. But for all I know I'm talking out of my ass as im not a technical person
FAIK, no one is running XBMC on a PS3 w/linux, at least not fully with decent video.

I've seen a video where they can get it to come up, but none with a movie playing. It may be possible, but for non-technical types don't waste your time until (if ever) someone actually has it working fully.
TugboatBill Wrote:FAIK, no one is running XBMC on a PS3 w/linux, at least not fully with decent video.

I've seen a video where they can get it to come up, but none with a movie playing. It may be possible, but for non-technical types don't waste your time until (if ever) someone actually has it working fully.

From my understanding that is true, with the main reason being a lack of an rsx driver in Linux, therefore the graphics processing having to be done by the cell instead of the gpu.

The rsx driver for Linux on the ps3 was released this week by the gitbrew crew which supposedly gives Linux full gpu processing. I assume thus takes all the shackles of xbmc on linux on ps3
no hardware video decode, then it's still a useless endeavor.
cassius Wrote:Sorry to bring up old thread but the RSX driver for PS3 has obviously been released.

I assume this means that XBMC on the PS3 will become a reality very soon through linux.

The RSX was basically a 79xx level GPU from Nvidia. It lacks ANY onboard decoding. Therefore for XBMC to work on the PS3 (and play more than divx files) someone would have to redo its internal FFMPEG to decode content using the SPUs. I have seen an mplayer that works with the SPUs, but nothing that works within Xorg which XBMC will need.

And even if you do all that, you only have 256(- 64 for the hypervisor)MB of ram for the interface. That outright sucks, worse than AppleTV 1.

XBMC on PS3 is not meant to be.

Ok thanks Poofy, that's all I wanted to know.

I'll guess I'll stick to showtime on the PS3 then. At least I know I can stream 1080p mkv's to that and it will play it. I will just have to live with the poorer user experience.

Just noticed that there is a Plex pluging for Showtime coming out, maybe this will meet all my needs.
Good thread.
One month further... are there any updates Smile

It would rock'n'roll to see XBMC running on the PS3, with or without game_os
I am not that informed on how PS3 Games work but Could XBMC be ported in the form of a game disk? Like Netflix? netflix on the PS3 works great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PS3] Ways to get XBMC running on PS3 or Alternatives?0