XBMC Install on New ATV2 / iOS 4.3 Auto-Upgrade
svela Wrote:Sure about that? 74.208.105.171 points to Cydia. If you have jailbroken your ATV earlier you should be fine..shouldn't you?

You're right... And my iPod is second gen, that's why Apple signed it. Silly of me Laugh So greep0ison automatically saves this stuff?
Sindawi Wrote:Great Job.
I was able to after many attempts with every step but removing the power cord (removing the power cord did the trick) roll back. save my shsh with tiny on four atv2's hurray gj

Oh and if your attempting to roll back more than one atv2 you need to re-save the host file every time you run restore

Pretty sure all the jb instructions I've read always say only use the USB cable so ya not too surprising that also using the power cable will prevent you from getting into DFU mode.

Another key piece of the puzzle is Apple signing the 4.2.1 firmware again, they'd stopped signing it for a week or two. No idea why, maybe since there's bugs in 4.3 they figured they'd let people use 4.2.1 until 4.3.1 lands. Anyway, it's given a lot of folks a chance to save their 4.2.1 SHSH blobs and get off 4.3 which is a drag with tethering and no h264 content.
Hi..

If I already have a jailbroken 4.2.1 greenpois0n atv2. How do or would in the future upgrade to 4.3.1 without losing my jailbreak or setting and disk?

Thx
ssss25 Wrote:Hi..

If I already have a jailbroken 4.2.1 greenpois0n atv2. How do or would in the future upgrade to 4.3.1 without losing my jailbreak or setting and disk?

Thx

I am not quite sure what you are asking but I would stay on 4.2.1 for now. There is not yet an untethered jailbreak on 4.3.X (should be soon). Further, if you are running XBMC, there are presently more issues on 4.3 than 4.2.1. You really cannot upgrade to 4.3.X without losing your jailbreak as well. You would need to re-jailbreak (probably with seas0npass tethered) if you wanted to run 4.3.X.
ssss25 Wrote:Hi..

When it comes time to upgrade to 4.3.1, it'll wipe out your jailbreak so you'll need to restore iOS which'll wipe out everything on your atv2. Btw, it probably doesn't make sense to upgrade until there's an untethered jailbreak. One thing you can do is backup your XBMC settings by ftp'ing a copy of /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC to your computer then ftp'ing it back after the install/jb of iOS and reinstall of XBMC.

Steps going forward
- backup XBMC preference folder
- run Tiny Umbrella to save any SHSH blobs you can
- wait for untethered jb for 4.3.1, then restore your atv2 to 4.3.1
- jb your atv2 with a tool providing an untethered jb (EDIT: Seas0npass is now untethered on 4.3.1)
- prevent the atv2 from getting updates
- install XBMC, ftp XBMC preferences folder back to atv2 (EDIT: supposedly grabbing the userdata subdirectory is enough)
- search/read the forums before asking questions that've been answered
Thanks for ur answers guys...

This is what I was afraid off Wink when the time comes and untethered 4.3 is out, although I can backup my xbmc setup, I have other apps on the main apple screen... setup a certain way.. I would have to redo all my work or find the right places to backup everything. I thought there might be something (new to come or current) to upgrade to 4.3 keeping my apps and settings.

Thanks Wink
ssss25 Wrote:Thanks for ur answers guys...

This is what I was afraid off Wink when the time comes and untethered 4.3 is out, although I can backup my xbmc setup, I have other apps on the main apple screen... setup a certain way.. I would have to redo all my work or find the right places to backup everything. I thought there might be something (new to come or current) to upgrade to 4.3 keeping my apps and settings.

Thanks Wink

Ya you could backup the files you modded and try and put them back later but who knows if there'll be any side effects. Safer to document your changes in one place then redo them after an upgrade.

Pretty hard to backup/restore any customizations inside the OS (i.e. outside the XBMC prefs). There's virtually an unlimited number of places you could make changes so the tool would be pretty sophisticated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Install on New ATV2 / iOS 4.3 Auto-Upgrade0