Run XBMC on an UnRAID server, without a GUI?
In the case it works there, I don't really mind running library updates on the apple tv then, if they're quick enough. I just let it run on startup and I'm happy then.
On a worse case scenario, where you ripped the movie yourself. And copied it straight into your unRAID movie folder, ATV 2 will not choke scraping a handful of movies. It may not get the right movie - think Alice in Wonderland. And it ATV2 XBMC you can refresh the movie.
Scraping from locally stored metadata took my ATV like 10 minutes to scrape. I would probably take over an hour if downloading from scratch. And I would have to fix a ton of stuff.

Rule of thumb to a system would be to:

1) Organize all your media in proper movie and TV folders named correctly STore in unRAID.

2) Use a Metadata Managing program to scrape movie data. Programs like Ember, Media Center Master, etc. Its a good idea to keep these around in case you migrate to another media center software. 30 days ago I only used Win 7 Media Center. Changing to XBMC was simply a matter of adding the right settings in Media Center Master.

3) In your media devices, add the library.

With this method, you can auto update at startup... after you add movies. But I find it distracting as it takes 3-5 minutes to read through and update. A little anti-climactic if you want to watch a movie that you just added... or if you have company, you have to explain the library needs to update.

With my method, I do nothing... everything is completely automated. Even if I download manually, and copy to the downloads/completed/Movies/ folder in unRAID. It will take care of creating the folder in Movies, copying the movie and fanart, and nfo into it, and then it tells one of your ATVs to update the library.

My ATV stay on all the time in XBMC... It only eats 6 watts...
Since we are talking about practically running a headless server, has anyone given a try to Team UMX media manager?

"Cross platform Media Manager using XBMC scrapers, featuring a upnp server, fanart, poster and thumbnail support as well as meta data information about movies, tv shows, music, games and more."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run XBMC on an UnRAID server, without a GUI?0