ATV2 4.2.1 + Airport Extreme Base Station USB Access
Hi all,

This question is specific to Airport Extreme Base Station owners, latest model MC340, to compare results.

I have an old little 80GB 5400rpm laptop disk attached to my AEBS, and configured XBMC to access my movies using SMB. For the most of it, works well. But when i have some large movies, its just buffers too much. Already tried rejailbreaking, using GP and last time i created one IPSW using PwnageTool.

The little box is wired to AEBS, so using 100mbps instead of 65mbps using wifi.

For my surprise, i decided to set up a FTP server (using PureFTPD Manager, for those who would like to try) on my Macbook, and shared my AFP mounted disk to the FTP user created for XBMC. Macbook is connected using 5ghz 300mbps to AEBS.

...and *NO BUFFERS*! All movies play smoothly (x264 of course). I can see PureFTPD serve files at ~1MB per second, way below the limits.

So, could be the SMB/CIFS AEBS implementation that's not nice? Any experiences using Samba or native windows?

Thanks!
Your result is certainly unexpected. Have you checked the cable (swapped it out)? A cable with kinks, or sections where the braiding of tbhe internal wired pairs is compromised (say, at the junction/interface of a wall jack) could cause a compromised connection.
Yes... its a brand new cat6. Had other cable with same retults.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 4.2.1 + Airport Extreme Base Station USB Access0