Only single threaded FFmpeg decoding?
Hi,

I was curious if my assumption that FFMpeg is single threaded when decoding is correct?

I only ask as I was playing a blu-ray mkv using ff-vc1 in XBMC, it hovers around 70% out of 400% and it didn't go above 110% out of 400% (why mac measures it like that is a bit silly) and started dropping frames.

I seem to recall handbrake forums mentioning something about this ffmpeg decoding. Just wondering if this was this case here?

Many thanks!
pseudo7 Wrote:Hi,

I was curious if my assumption that FFMpeg is single threaded when decoding is correct?

That is correct. There are some threads that discuss why that is, there was a reasoning but I don't know the specifics.
Cool, nice to know nothing is wrong (which is always a concern when video doesn't play nice).

Wasn't trying to put too emphasis on XBMC. Just in general there doesn't seem to be much information on multithreaded decoding (that i can appreciate) everyone, and rightly so, supports GPU decoding.

Hopefully vc1 gets GPU support on Mac through the new VideoToolBox api thing that allowed XBMC on iOS devices.

(I'm not requesting in this thread was just curious, please don't hurt me!)

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only single threaded FFmpeg decoding?0