• 4(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on new Intel Sandy Bridge platform
Try to delete the complete xorg.conf, restart, see if you can get a picture. The boot modesetting is controlled by KMS (kernel mode setting). That you can not influence with the xorg.conf. xorg.conf comes in use when X is started. KMS mode is only set by kernel parameters as i know.

Start Xorg and see what xrandr -q shows. It should show if your output is HDMI2 or else.

ps.: I am not a professional. I am just a regular user like you. Learnt stuff googling and trying thousand times.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
okay i know, same to me, i am not that bad in that as i might look but per default there is no xorg.conf in /etc/X11 so the defaulte mode would not work... but i will try it with xrandr...

It must be HDMI 2 due to the fact that i can see the screen flickering and reacting on my HDMI 2 xorg.conf with full hd where i got the damaged but visibel picture...

Edit:

How to stop X?
sudo stop gdm
Stops X

sudo start gdm
Starts X

Are you using a >=2.6.37 Kernel?
thx!

yeap i am using the 2.6.38 with the 11.04 minimal like in the how to.
Should be 2.6.38 ur? but i tried some others like the newest intel drm-next and so on...

I dont know exactly, but i think i tried to modify my 10.10x64 minimal installation too, installed the newest kernel and the TV works fine after that. I added the ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

and updated/upgraded. Built up a new xbmc (ink TV stuff) - works so far.

Quote:git clone https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git
-> patched it like in this how-to

Interlaced material doenst stutter any more with vaapi enabled but i cant choose deinterlacing modes. In XBMC i am only able to select a deinterlacing mode if i disable VAAPI, normal?

This natty kernel on maverick works so far but ist doesnt work very well at all. I
I think the How-To solution is better... but the problem with my TV picture sucks...

Quote:sudo stop gdm
Stops X

does this work without gnome installed... i thought i found something like this before - in other forums via google. Ill have to try today evening. Strange thing is that i have pic but damaged , so i can see some lines on top and bottom changing colours ... and modlines didn't help.

First i'll try a correct modline unter 10.10 x64 where i get picture normally.

Edit:

i have an i3 530 on a H55 board, the How-To is for Sandy bridge but does this make a difference?
I use the natty based SB how-to because of the whole minimal instruction with autostart and so on and it works fine so far.
Do i have to change anything due to the fact that i want to get a clarkdale CPU/GPU running?
Krautmaster Wrote:i have an i3 530 on a H55 board, the How-To is for Sandy bridge but does this make a difference?

There is a different how-to for VAAPI pre Sandy Bridge here.
i know but its not that complete, i miss auto start and so on

... does it make a difference?

I think the only difference is, that the drivers / kernels are newer and supporting Sandy Bridge...
Are there any special SB settings or should it work with both?

Maybe i should try the older tutorial using 10.10. minimal.
It's surely worth a try, as others have been using that how-to successfully, and yes, there is a difference. And if it does not work, maybe report back in that thread, not in this one.
okay, one question left.

Anybody there who uses this how-to together with VDR/XBMC/TV? The only reason i tested was because of deinterlacing SD TV material together with VAAPI enabled.

i am not able to set a deinterlacing mode having VAAPI enabled... thats why im asking.

Edit:

Okay, the problem has nothing to do with the how to, should be a natty problem. Tv doent work after a blank installation and i cant get it working at all.
Krautmaster Wrote:i am not able to set a deinterlacing mode having VAAPI enabled... thats why im asking.

Man, why not read the guide. It is all in there:

"What is not working yet:
Suspend - resume
Multichannel LPCM sound (sometimes works)
VAAPI deinterlacing (work is in progress)"

"Deinterlacing is not yet implemented for vaapi in xbmc. Not even in libva yet. But it is being worked on. There are a few important commits already for the i965 libva driver for implementing hq upscaling and hw deinterlacing."
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
thx.

Thought vaapi acc. + normal deinterlacing could still work and special hw vaapi deinterlacing is in progress Wink
Hm. Deinterlacing as such worked for me when I was playing 1080i content through VAAPI. I guess, however, that deinterlacing was done in the CPU, not GPU.
Hammi Wrote:Hm. Deinterlacing as such worked for me when I was playing 1080i content through VAAPI. I guess, however, that deinterlacing was done in the CPU, not GPU.

It only works with software decoding. The reason for this is some colour plane differences between the two methods. Software deinterlacing needs more data than the RGB picture itself what is VAAPI outputs. At least as i know.
Wink an addon VAAPI enable / disable switch would be nice, automatically, Life-TV - disable, Movies - enable ^^
If you have movies recorded from TV, you might want VAAPI to be disabled for these as well.

Maybe better just to wait for the gfx drivers to become a bit more mature and feature-rich.
First of all, thanks for the excelent writeup! I did however, ran into a problem with XBMC on a Sandy Bridge GPU.

I installed ubuntu 11.04 by PXE install, and updated to latest version.

I pulled the latest sources of:
- drm
- libbluray
- libva
- mesa
- pixman
- xbmc
- xf86-input-evdev
- xf86-video-intel
- xserver

After some minor troubleshooting with the xserver build, I got all pakcages build and installed.

The x-server and XBMC do start, however, it freezes after half a second or so. I can see part of the fade-in and the xbmc menu that slides in from the left, but before the animation is complete, xbmc freezes.

I can't find anything in Xorg.log and xbmc.log, so do you guys have any idea's where to look next?

Hardware:
Asrock H67M
Intel 2100T
Kingston ssdNOW
Corsair valueram 2GB

edit:
Overlooked this line in the xorg.log:

Code:
[   280.883] (EE) intel(0): Detected a hung GPU, disabling acceleration.

Is there anything I can do about that? Or is this just a matter of waiting until the drivers get better?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on new Intel Sandy Bridge platform3