• 2(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW TO Stop ATV2 from checking for updates and CRASHING
thx Wink

fu apple servers!
Rebooted and started a 720p movie,

Still crashing!!

It lasted 3mins

Are we sure this problem is because atv2 is looking for updates??
Before updatebegone came into the picture,

I edited the hosts file and no problems for me since 4.3 update prompts on March 09, 2011.

PHP Code:
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com 
127.0.0.1 mesu
.apple.com 
127.0.0.1 appldnld
.apple.com.edgesuite.net[hit enter for carriage return to leave a blank line and save your hosts file
[
this line must be a blank line

Now, it's exactly one week, no problems.
I'll persevere and keep researching for now, hopefully someone will have clue whats going on?
Off topic posts will be deleted without warning. Let's stop littering please.
Guys!

Thankyou for such a great post.. I'm hoping this resolves the problem.. The fact that it was stickied and easy to follow is highly appreciated.

I do have one question, and I hope someone more knowledgable than me helps with it.

Come the day that we might need to remove those lines from the /etc/hosts file.. is there any way to do it?

I tried nano, pico and vi - all *nix based text editors that I know and the ATV2 has none of them..

Is the best way to edit the file to SFTP to the ATV2 and edit the file? Or is it presumed that we will never want to edit it until there is a jailbreakable update which will then wipe out any file changes we've made anyways?

Thanks again for a great post, and for such a awesome app!
Here is the best way to do this without having to ssh in or use command lines.

Download Cyberduck
Download metapad
Start up Cyberduck and use SSHD as the login type and use root for the username and alpine for the password
Navigate to /etc
Drag and drop the hosts file to your desktop
drag that file into metapad and edit it as posted on the previous page. The part that sais it is a blank line is just that...place your cursor at the end of the last line and hit delete and hold it to delete everything..then hit enter to add the next line...from there hit save. Then just simply drag that file back over into Cyberduck into the /etc directory...IF THERE ISN'T A BLANK LINE...IT WONT WORK

If someone else cannot do this...I will be more than happy to log into your system or do a video tutorial...I do understand that some people that come to these boards aren't computer geeks...its why the forum is here.
You can install nano, vim and possibly other editors

apt-get install nano
apt-get install vim
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
I think ANY ssh editors are confusing to those that dont do Linux...if you don't use linux or command line....don't try nano or vim..it's just going to mess you up.
JediKnight2 Wrote:I think ANY ssh editors are confusing to those that dont do Linux...if you don't use linux or command line....don't try nano or vim..it's just going to mess you up.

vim sure but nano is about as easy to use as notepad.
Imagine a Commodore 64 word processor...now take the average computer user and tell them to use it....see what I mean... Big Grin
Thankyou for the how-to install VIM or NANO.

Personally, coming from a non-*nix background, I find nano & pico the easiest to use.

Anyone who wants to go and edit their files more manually/granularly can now do so, which is what I was asking for.

If they are not sure how to use them, I'm sure some time googling for some basic tips will help.

Thanks again!
Thanks Jediknight2,

Instructions were perfect,,

My Hosts file looks like this..

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0localhost

127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net
{i have returned on this line and saved}

I cant seem to drop the host file back into Cyberduck??
Activateav Wrote:Thanks Jediknight2,

Instructions were perfect,,

My Hosts file looks like this..

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0localhost

127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net
{i have returned on this line and saved}

I cant seem to drop the host file back into Cyberduck??

Crashed again, WTF :confused2:
Activateav Wrote:Crashed again, WTF :confused2:

Mine isn't crashing and I don't have all those additions to /etc/hosts. All I've done is update to the latest nitotv and installed updatebegone.
Code:
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone
Code:
Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences root# dpkg -l | grep -i nito
ii  com.nito                     0-1            nitoTV APT Signing Key
ii  com.nito.gs                  0.1-3          Mobile substrate tweak that fixes the green
ii  com.nito.nitotv              0.6.6-2        New and improved installer including package
ii  com.nito.updatebegone        0.2-1          Mobile Substrate Tweak to remove Update Nag

If you can ssh into your atv2, run "ping mesu.apple.com" and if the IP is 127.0.0.1 in the response then the /etc/hosts file is fine. The updatebegone package appends "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" to block updates. Btw, it'll make things a lot easier if you get used to the command line and an editor like nano (should be easier to learn than vim).
Code:
##
127.0.0.1    localhost
255.255.255.255    broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0    localhost

127.0.0.1    mesu.apple.com
Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences root#

Code:
Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences root# ping mesu.apple.com
PING mesu.apple.com (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.243 ms