• 3(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW TO Stop ATV2 from checking for updates and CRASHING
OniFactor Wrote:curious, after doing the ssh fix, can the update still be installed, if you'd like? or does it totally disable updates?

It doesn't totally disable updates, if you want to reverse it remove the 3 lines that were added to the hosts file and updates will work again.

Lectric Wrote:Come the day that we might need to remove those lines from the /etc/hosts file.. is there any way to do it?

Check the first page, I've added commands to backup the hosts file and restore it, plus I've added commands to directly remove the lines from the hosts file if you don't have a backup.
jd2157, can you share your hosts file, I've not seen what a hosts file looks like after installing updatebegone.

Cheers.
Activateav, I assume you figured out how to upload it via cyberduck? If you want me to...I can upload my host file and you can just download it and drop it in...if you aren't sure the file is going over...before you drag and drop the new file...RENAME the original hosts file to hostsOLD. As a matter of fact...just email me your file...and I will make sure its what it's supposed to be.
bircoe Wrote:jd2157, can you share your hosts file, I've not seen what a hosts file looks like after installing updatebegone.

Code:
Apple-TV:/ root# cat /etc/hosts
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1    localhost
255.255.255.255    broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0    localhost

127.0.0.1    mesu.apple.com

I remember a lot of talk about a blank line being at the end of the file. When updatebegone ran it left the mesu.apple.com entry without an EOL character (so when you cat the file your prompt would be on the same line). Pinging mesu.apple.com before and after I added an EOL character gave the same behavior (i.e. EOL char didn't seem to matter and 127.0.0.1 was what was being pinged).
galvanash Wrote:I would recommend:

1. update nitotv (don't know if this matters for this particular issue, but the latest update is pretty significant and should be applied regardless).
2. reboot ATV completely (using option in nitotv)

I had similar issues until I did the above.

bircoe,
galvanash makes a good point, it's probably a good idea to put the command to update nitotv (or everything) before installing the updatebegone package in the original post. Might not be the cause of everyone's issues but still valuable to rule it out. Anyone with issues should try these (if one doesn't work try the next):

# apt-get upgrade com.nito.nitotv
or
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
or
# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
JediKnight2 Wrote:Activateav, I assume you figured out how to upload it via cyberduck? If you want me to...I can upload my host file and you can just download it and drop it in...if you aren't sure the file is going over...before you drag and drop the new file...RENAME the original hosts file to hostsOLD. As a matter of fact...just email me your file...and I will make sure its what it's supposed to be.

Pm sent
There seems to be some confusion on the hosts file and if your not used to messing with these types of files...you can do it wrong. SPACES and CHARACTERS matter on parts of this file! The best way to ensure you have it right you add this to the end of your hosts file...

Code:
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net

place your cursor at the END of the last line...and push/hold down your delete key....when you think you have everything under that last line GONE...press the right arrow key ONCE to see if the cursor moves...if you have everything gone...the cursor won't move right..after that just...press enter ONCE...and press save...upload
jd2157 Wrote:bircoe,
galvanash makes a good point, it's probably a good idea to put the command to update nitotv (or everything) before installing the updatebegone package in the original post. Might not be the cause of everyone's issues but still valuable to rule it out.

# apt-get upgrade com.nito.nitotv
or
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Added your notes to the first post...
JediKnight2 Wrote:There seems to be some confusion on the hosts file and if your not used to messing with these types of files...you can do it wrong. SPACES and CHARACTERS matter on parts of this file! The best way to ensure you have it right you add this to the end of your hosts file...

Agreed, there's definitely come confusion around the formatting. What exactly do you mean by "SPACES and CHARACTERS matter on parts of this file"?

If you ping the host and it resolves to the IP address specified doesn't that confirm the format of the file is ok?
Bircoe
I followed your instructions. Now the apple tv does not connect to the network. Which means I cannot access ssh to reverse the /etc/host from .bak. Any suggestions?
Anything you can do in the hosts file should have little effect on your Apple TV's ability to connect to your network...

What sort of network do you have, wireless or wired, what sort of network equipment do you have between you modem and Apple TV, routers, switches etc.

Essentially what I'm asking you to do is describe your network.

Also which part of the instructions did you follow, the echo commands? And if you did the echo commands did you use double >'s or single?
I was connected using wireless.

I executed the following commands on a OSX terminal after having ssh'd into apple tv.

echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts
Your network problem is elsewhere...

I've tested those 3 commands on 2 of mine and 1 of my brothers ATV 2 probably 20 times, and never did i loose network connectivity, all the entries in the hosts file do is tell the network stack where to redirect certain url's, for example the line with mesu.apple.com redirects mesu.apple.com requests to 127.0.0.1 which is the ip address of localhost, ie the Apple TV itself, they can't harm your ability to connect to a network.

In saying that I have had an ATV loose the ability to connect to a wireless network, which is fine as my ATV's are wired, there was a post somewhere about removing and reinstalling a package to fix the wireless problem, I think you'll need to temporarily connect to a wired network port on your router so you can ssh into the ATV again.

I'll see if I can dig up that post.

edit: check this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94262
Everything worked fine after I connected directly to ethernet and again went back to wireless. I dont know what really caused the issue. I dont now believe it was the change to /etc/hosts. Thx.
XBMC still crashing. I did as it said on the first page and it's not asking me for updates anymore but i still can't watch anything in XBMC. It just crashes to the desktop. going to try and do the getupdate thing.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW TO Stop ATV2 from checking for updates and CRASHING0