• 5(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW TO Stop ATV2 from checking for updates and CRASHING
well...i have restored the apple TV back to 4.2.1 (it was already on 4.2.1, but i did it again) and it works again. i can see MKVs and MP4s without having the ATV crash.
now that it works, when i run through ssh: "ping mesu.apple.com"

i get:

Apple-TV:~ root# ping mesu.apple.com
PING a97.g.akamai.net (184.51.207.18): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 184.51.207.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=20.017 ms
64 bytes from 184.51.207.18: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=15.595 ms
64 bytes from 184.51.207.18: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=13.264 ms
64 bytes from 184.51.207.18: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=16.120 ms
--- a97.g.akamai.net ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.264/16.249/20.017/2.427 ms
Apple-TV:~ root#

so the whole thing about i should be getting 127.0.0.1 is not what i am getting:

Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences root# ping mesu.apple.com
PING mesu.apple.com (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.243 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.221 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.214 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.234 ms

it is important to note that when i receive ...127.0.0.1...it was crashing while playing mkv and mp4s.

also, i went into my files using Cyberduck (from a Mac) and changed the "hosts" file which is inside of "etc" folder to this:

##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences root#

and still it crashed.

needless to say that i re-run these commands:

# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone

did i miss something? am i doing something wrong?
any input would be valuable.
Yanni Wrote:well...i have restored the apple TV back to 4.2.1 (it was already on 4.2.1, but i did it again) and it works again. i can see MKVs and MP4s without having the ATV crash.
now that it works, when i run through ssh: "ping mesu.apple.com"

did i miss something? am i doing something wrong?
any input would be valuable.

It'd be easier for people to help if you gave more detail about what you're running and how you jailbroke your atv2. For instance, in my case: iOS=4.3, Apple TV software = 4.2.1 and jb = Seas0npass, XBMC = april 1 nightly.

Just saying 4.2.1 can mean either iOS version or Apple TV software version also. Btw, crashing on mkv files is a known issue when on iOS 4.3 and running the XBMC official build (not one of the unofficial nightly builds).
JD,
i jail broke it with 4.3 seasonpass untethered but could not have mp4 or mkv play no matter what i tried, from what i know and read here.
i have it now on iso 4.2.1 and have it working well now. i jailbroke it with greenpoison.
couple of days ago i had it as well on iso 4.2.1 and it crashed while trying to play mp4 or mkvs.
i can say that now i added media player from ATVflash beta 4 and again mkv crashed. mp4 played. so i removed media player and mkv plays again.

what i want to understand how can i keep iso 4.2.1 working and playing mkv and mp4 as it is now, and not having xbmc crash in few days (as i read and witness that this lasts for few days only and then crashes again).
also, if someone can tell me what do to so atv2 plays mkvs and mp4 on ISO 4.3 after i jail break it with seasonpass, i am open to hear.
Suddenly update-be-gone does not seem to work.
is on 4.2.1 JB with Seas0npass and latest XBMC, yesterday XBMC begun to stop playback again, just like when the update-messages spoiled playback last time....
Hi,

I am going mad here!! I jailbroke my apple tv2 yesterday, and was really looking forward to watching movies that don't need to be converted and using bbc iplayer etc. I have apple tv 2 on 4.2.1 (2100) which I assume is a 4.3 version. I did this using seas0npass on my MBP. I have installed iplayer and various films in various formats and after attempting to get the programs to play the xbmc crashes and returns to main menu screen. Have tried entering the various codes in terminal but to no avail. I am not sure now if I have entered too much via terminal as I have attempted EVERYTHING in this thread! It still doesn't work! Have no SHSH blobs as with my iphone. I am kind of a noob but would appreciate some help. I am not sure if I have firecore media player. I don't think so unless it comes as part of seas0npass jb? My xbmc is ready to go with movies/tv shows/iplayer and its such a shame that I can't access anything. I have also tried plex but that doesnt seem to be working either. My apple tv is now looking rather clogged up with crap now and I wonder whether I should restore and jb again? Thanks for all your help
Did you install nightly build?

Look in the stickies
what is nightly build? I may have as I have seen reference to it! Could you give me some instructions as to how to install it? BTW I restored and re-jb about an hour ago but its the same as yesterday!
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

Is this the nightly build? As this is what I have put in to terminal?
jbenmore Wrote:echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

Is this the nightly build? As this is what I have put in to terminal?

If you are on 4.3 then you need to install nightly build of xbmc, as I said before... Read the stickies. If you still not sure what to do... Read the stickies again
ok, I'm sorry to keep bothering you, but can you give me a clue which sticky might be able to help me! Am I looking at stickies in xbmc general help and support or xbmc iOS specific support. What is the title of the specific sticky! I'm really sorry to bug you but I am desperate!! Thanks
jbenmore Wrote:ok, I'm sorry to keep bothering you, but can you give me a clue which sticky might be able to help me! Am I looking at stickies in xbmc general help and support or xbmc iOS specific support. What is the title of the specific sticky! I'm really sorry to bug you but I am desperate!! Thanks

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97246
That seems very complicated. I have downloaded the deb file but don't know what to do with it. Can someone please have a heart and take some time to guide me through this process. Would it be better if I posted this on the end of the sticky?
jbenmore Wrote:That seems very complicated. I have downloaded the deb file but don't know what to do with it. Can someone please have a heart and take some time to guide me through this process. Would it be better if I posted this on the end of the sticky?

The reason it's not in a sticky is in a sticky Smile

Ssh into atv2
Download .deb(wget <link from sticky>)
dpkg -i <name of a deb>.deb
ok, sorry, Ive now put the latest_atv2.deb into my appletv using cyberduck. Is this right. What do I do next? Thanks
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW TO Stop ATV2 from checking for updates and CRASHING0