[LINUX] XBMC 10.1 Update Doesn't Autostart (Boots to tty1 Login Prompt)
Upon updating from XBMC 10.0 to 10.1 on Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) via the instructed "apt-get update" and "apt-get install xbmc" commands from the announcement, my HTPC no longer boots directly into XBMC. I am still able to login, startx, and run XBMC from the command prompt in fluxbox.

After a bit of searching, it seems a possible solution is to reinstall my video drivers (nVidia GT210), since that is the common solution when booting to the login prompt. I did this ("sudo apt-get purge nvidia*", "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current"), but I am still booting to the tty1 login prompt. Audio/Video playback is still fine, and XBMC performs as before, it's just not autostarting, despite the GRUB kernel line reading as follows:
Code:
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=[UUID removed] ro xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 quiet splash

BTW, it looks like the only GRUB-related file that was modified in the update was /boot/grub/grubenv, but it appears identical to the pre-update version.

Any help would be much appreciated. Big Grin

P.S. I've updated XBMC fine before with the ro switch included in the above GRUB line, and files on the boot drive were updated successfully this time with it included, but could that be related to my issue?
Anybody have some advice for a Linux newb? Surely there is a simple tweak I am missing. Huh
Upon further review, it appears my rc#.d folders were re-created in the recent upgrade, which is possibly responsible for XBMC no longer autostarting (I do remember customizing them a bit, but had forgotten to include them in my backups Sad).

For any future Linux newbs that may encounter a similar issue, I offer the following workaround. Is it the proper way to do it? Probably not, I am a Linux newb after all, but everything seems to be working for me, anyway.

Add the following line above the "exit 0" line within the /etc/rc.local file, substituting "xbmc" for whatever user account you use:
Code:
su xbmc -c "startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc"
I had the same problem when upgrading XBMC-Live to 10.1

the rc.local workaround helped but it would be good to fix the root cause

how xmbc gets started in Live looks a bit complicated - anybody knows where that is documented ?

thanks
I had a similar problem. I installed XBMC from Live CD. When the installer tells you that it's finished and the CDROM drive has been unmounted and ejected I turned the machine off instead of pressing OK. I was thinking that the install is done but after you press ok, the install contunues with couple more steps before rebooting automaticaly. I reinstalled again this time patiently waiting until the computer rebooted on its own and everything worked like a charm.
DPackMan Wrote:Upon further review, it appears my rc#.d folders were re-created in the recent upgrade, which is possibly responsible for XBMC no longer autostarting (I do remember customizing them a bit, but had forgotten to include them in my backups Sad).

For any future Linux newbs that may encounter a similar issue, I offer the following workaround. Is it the proper way to do it? Probably not, I am a Linux newb after all, but everything seems to be working for me, anyway.

Add the following line above the "exit 0" line within the /etc/rc.local file, substituting "xbmc" for whatever user account you use:
Code:
Thank you so much DPackMan! Had the same problem as you and your solution worked as a charm Wink
(2011-03-16, 09:14)DPackMan Wrote: Add the following line above the "exit 0" line within the /etc/rc.local file, substituting "xbmc" for whatever user account you use:
Code:

Until this post I've resorted back to shamelessly re-installing... far too many times to admit. Seems basic Linux knowledge would have resolved this! Thank you!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC 10.1 Update Doesn't Autostart (Boots to tty1 Login Prompt)4