• 20(current)
[WIP] MLB.TV Boxee App port (developers needed!)
All right, how can I help testing? I installed the HLS player globally and substituded your modified default.py. It doesn't seem to call the player, tho. Here's the log:

http://pastebin.com/2VaHR8bC
theophile Wrote:All right, how can I help testing? I installed the HLS player globally and substituded your modified default.py. It doesn't seem to call the player, tho. Here's the log:

http://pastebin.com/2VaHR8bC

I'm not really sure what todo at the moment short of writing another function especially for the cloud wired setting.

Here is the latest default.py that I'm testing - http://ubuntuone.com/p/124O/
This writes the file to the add-on's data folder, still doesn't play.

theophile, have you tried changing the archive scenario setting to see if it returns a url. Looks like it should.
That was with the scenario set for CLOUD for a live game as you described earlier.

BTW, I just noticed that with these NexDef streams, you can switch between the TV and radio audio feeds. So cool...
theophile Wrote:That was with the scenario set for CLOUD for a live game as you described earlier.

Not sure I'm following you here, If you edit the settings.xml there is a setting for the archived games -
Code:
<setting id="archive_scenario" value="HTTP_CLOUD_WIRED" />
and try to play an archived game?

Quote:BTW, I just noticed that with these NexDef streams, you can switch between the TV and radio audio feeds. So cool...

Wow, Look at that three diffrent audio streams. I still can't get over how good the quality is.
divingmule Wrote:Not sure I'm following you here, If you edit the settings.xml there is a setting for the archived games -
Code:
<setting id="archive_scenario" value="HTTP_CLOUD_WIRED" />
and try to play an archived game?

Wow, Look at that three diffrent audio streams. I still can't get over how good the quality is.
I'm sorry, I got tied up tonight, and didn't get a chance to try it. But I will say that I used the HLS player to create a *.ts file and played that back with XBMC. It looked and sounded great, but every now and then, XBMC would bail out. I don't know why. I tried piping to mplayer, but even with a 64MB cache, it would studder a bit. Hopefully it was just a fluke.
Thanks, theophile. I was curious if it would return a url for the archived games.

If anyone get's a chance try this default.py - http://ubuntuone.com/p/12K2/
It may be monday before I can catch another free game. With this we try adding the file to a playlist to play it.
theophile Wrote:I'm sorry, I got tied up tonight, and didn't get a chance to try it. But I will say that I used the HLS player to create a *.ts file and played that back with XBMC. It looked and sounded great, but every now and then, XBMC would bail out. I don't know why. I tried piping to mplayer, but even with a 64MB cache, it would studder a bit. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

The only problem with the MLB Nexdef stream is that it's sometimes slow/unstable. I've been using the HLS method since the start of the season and there have been about 7-8 games where it has given me problems. Limiting the max bitrate to 1800 or lower sometimes helped but that led me to patch mplayer to be able to read a growing file and not bail if it reaches the EOF but to pause and wait for the file to grow. XBMC will probably need to implement something similar.

On the quality note, yea.. 1280x720 @ 4.5mb is extremely good quality.. especially over the internet. It's also nice to be able to watch the FOX broadcast without having to listen McCarver... heh.
divingmule Wrote:Thanks, theophile. I was curious if it would return a url for the archived games.

If anyone get's a chance try this default.py - http://ubuntuone.com/p/12K2/
It may be monday before I can catch another free game. With this we try adding the file to a playlist to play it.

Looks like selecting the desired coverage doesn't trigger anything:

http://pastebin.com/a0Uj3QKS

I selected the SF coverage, then DET. The log acknowledges the selections but nothing happens.
theophile Wrote:Looks like selecting the desired coverage doesn't trigger anything:

http://pastebin.com/a0Uj3QKS

I selected the SF coverage, then DET. The log acknowledges the selections but nothing happens.

Humm, did the hls client start streaming? If so, could you try again and after selecting the coverage, use the context menu to open the "now playing" playlist. The file 'should' be listed.
divingmule Wrote:Humm, did the hls client start streaming? If so, could you try again and after selecting the coverage, use the context menu to open the "now playing" playlist. The file 'should' be listed.

The HLS player is spawned and the file is written to the addon files directory. But nothing appears to be added to the playlist. The Now Playing window is empty. And by the way, you can watch archived games via NexDef. Nod
I played around a little with it today, and discovered something by accident. The addon has been spawning the 'mlb' player process reliably, but nothing plays. During one of my attempts, I selected the stream, and the file began to be created. Then I ssh'ed into my XBMC box and killed the 'mlb' process. The file then began to play. This makes me think XBMC is waiting for the 'mlb' process to exit before playing the media item.

Another observation: I have not been able to play a NexDef file longer than 9-10 minutes without the player dying. I've tried it with XBMC and mplayer. It's not a buffer issue, because I've given it a 10-minute head start. I also don't think it's a corrupted file, because the next time I play the same file, it will get past the point it had previously bailed. So even using the exact same file, mplayer will bail at different, inconsistent points. Here is the mplayer output for one of these files, and the message it produces when it bails:

http://pastebin.com/D9PziECH

XBMC does the same thing, but without as much detail. Anyone know what this is all about?
theophile Wrote:I played around a little with it today, and discovered something by accident. The addon has been spawning the 'mlb' player process reliably, but nothing plays. During one of my attempts, I selected the stream, and the file began to be created. Then I ssh'ed into my XBMC box and killed the 'mlb' process. The file then began to play. This makes me think XBMC is waiting for the 'mlb' process to exit before playing the media item.

Yeah, I think I need to be using os.popen or Popen instead of os.system. I played around with it today but didn't quite figure it out. If you would like to try the documentation is here - http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html. I'll try again, when the free game is on.
theophile Wrote:Another observation: I have not been able to play a NexDef file longer than 9-10 minutes without the player dying. I've tried it with XBMC and mplayer. It's not a buffer issue, because I've given it a 10-minute head start. I also don't think it's a corrupted file, because the next time I play the same file, it will get past the point it had previously bailed. So even using the exact same file, mplayer will bail at different, inconsistent points. Here is the mplayer output for one of these files, and the message it produces when it bails:

Depending on the demuxer that mplayer uses, it probably checks for the file size on start and uses that file size to determine the length instead of EOF. So if you have 10 mins worth of content when you start mplayer, it'll only play 10 mins since it reads the size once and never updates it's internal size. I had to hack mplayer so that the internal file size grows as the actual file size does.

Should probably check if the xbmc player does the same.
thegryghost Wrote:Depending on the demuxer that mplayer uses, it probably checks for the file size on start and uses that file size to determine the length instead of EOF. So if you have 10 mins worth of content when you start mplayer, it'll only play 10 mins since it reads the size once and never updates it's internal size. I had to hack mplayer so that the internal file size grows as the actual file size does.

Should probably check if the xbmc player does the same.

Hmm, interesting. Could you share your mplayer patches so I can do some testing? Also, I wonder if using ffmpeg as an intermediary demuxer would address the issue. Of course, that wouldn't help with XBMC much. Though I wonder if it would solve the problem if we piped 'mlb' to ffmpeg and had it remux to MPEG-PS on the fly.
theophile Wrote:Hmm, interesting. Could you share your mplayer patches so I can do some testing? Also, I wonder if using ffmpeg as an intermediary demuxer would address the issue. Of course, that wouldn't help with XBMC much. Though I wonder if it would solve the problem if we piped 'mlb' to ffmpeg and had it remux to MPEG-PS on the fly.

Sure.

Patch for mplayer Here.

Patch for mplayer2 Here.

I use mplayer2 since it properly handles seeking the mlb.tv mpegts better than regular mplayer. My cmd line is:

mplayer2 -really-quiet -livepause 5 -demuxer lavf -mc 2 <mlb.ts>

the "livepause" option will enable file growing support, along with the ability to pause/rew/ffwd without seeking past the end (DVR capabilities). The number after livepause is the number of seconds to be behind "real-time". So when I fast forward and reach "live", it'll always be 5 seconds (roughly) behind.

The mplayer2 patch will also pause and wait for the file to grow (throwing up a "Buffering..." msg) instead of exiting.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] MLB.TV Boxee App port (developers needed!)3