Anyone has menu sounds, multi-channel PCM and crossfading over hdmi all together?
I have an Acer Revo 3610 and since I upgraded from Ubuntu Karmic/XBMC Camelot 9.11 to Maverick/Dharma (10.0 or 10.1), I have never been able to get the 3 following features working all together:

- Multi-Channels PCM
- Crossfading
- Navigation Sounds

There are hundred of posts out there to address these problems individually but I haven't found anyone who mentioned having everything perfect.
Notice that I need a full installation of Ubuntu not only the XBMC-Live version.

- For multi-channels PCM, I have used and recommend this guide:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...controller

It corrects invalid channels maping and you can define dmixer in .asoundrc to get crossfading.

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
            type dmix
            ipc_key 1024
            slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 8192
                #periods 128
                #rate 44100
                rate 48000
             }
             bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
             }
        }

- In XBMC audio settings:

AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE: custom
CUSTOM AUDIO DEVICE: plug:dmixer
PASSTHROUGH AUDIO DEVICE: hdmi

- For navigation sounds, I can't get it to work even with all the following tips which consist of adding a default pcm in .asoundrc or asoundconf:

Code:
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
        pcm "hdmi"
        }
    }

or

Code:
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
    }

or

Code:
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
    pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

The only way to make navigation sounds work is to keep pulseaudio and set the hardware to hdmi in the Ubuntu sound preference screen. However, this breaks 5.1 audio which needs the hardware to be set to analog in order to by pass pulse and use Alsa instead.

With Camelot 9.11 and Karmic I had only this in my .asoundrc, pulse audio removed and everything was working fine:

Code:
pcm.!default {
            type plug
            slave.pcm "dmixer"
        }
Is there really someone who succeeded to get the 3 features working together on Dharma and Maverick? Huh
I'm bumping up this thread. No one has an answer? I'm really just looking for a yes or no. Then if someone says yes, I will be very interested in knowing how!
No. Same as you, since updating from Camelot no joy on menu/nav sounds. Running a Revo 1600 w/Live connected HDMI.

V
You have the sound set to analog or digital?
I'm no expert but I think that if you have it set to digital xbmc will only pass on the sound to the destination and won't be able to mix or edit the sound in any way such as blending in the menu sounds or crossfading.
This is a good question. If I use ALSA, I don't have any options to set the sound to Analog. The sound applet is gone in Ubuntu (I removed pulse) and the only choices I have in XBMC are Digital/HDMI/Optical.

Do you know how to set the output to Analog?
I have done an interesting test this weekend. I have tried XBMC-live Freak version with Maverick on a USB key. I got rid of the .asoundrc file which is setup for both analog and digital configuration and replaced it with a dmix configuration like this:

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

To my surprise, menu sounds, crossfading and muti channels audio are all working.

I have the same NVidia drivers (260.19.x I don't recall the exact version, this is the standard one that comes with Maverick. I'm using this command to get the version:

Code:
cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

Alsa is 1.0.23 but I don't know how to check for the version on XBMC-live.

If I try the same configuration on my GDM version, I don't get the navigation sounds.

I don't think the live version have Pulse Audio and I have removed it from my installation.

Does anyone know what could be different with the two versions that would affect the navigation sounds?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone has menu sounds, multi-channel PCM and crossfading over hdmi all together?0