Opinions on HTPC - Atom+ION2 or i3+Intel HD
Question 
Short rundown of everyday use of the HTPC. When not playing movies, 720p-1080p, it is downloading either with jDownloader and/or bit-torrent and if possible recording live TV when asked or in the background.

HTPC Application requirements:
  • Flawless 1080p playback
  • Download server (Bittorrent + jDownloader)
  • DVR - DVB-T tuner running in background (We don't have TIVOs in Denmark...)
Preferably running above simultaneously. Or at least 2 out of 3 requirements...

Must have:
  • Low power consumption < 60W peak
  • eSATA - Connecting with RAID-5 storage device
  • WOL - Wake On Lan

Additional requirements:
  • Small or stylish form factor/design
  • Media/File Server
  • Wake up with remote.

The list below contains some possible candidates for my HTPC setup. Internal DVD/Bluray is no must, just ignore them. I need advice and comparison of CPU & GPU. I'm planning on adding a SSD and 2-4GB RAM...

Possible HTPC options

The power strip has one always active outlet which the HTPC consumes and the USB cable from the power strip acts as a switch. When the HTPC is on the rest of the power strip is also on. I know it might sound silly but It might just work the way I've planned it Smile

Retail:
Atom D525:
- Zotac ZBOXHD-ID40-U - €185

- Jetway JBC600C993-52W-BW - €250

- Xtreamer Ultra - €310

Intel Core i3:
- Asrock Core 100HT - €440

DIY:
Atom D525:
- AT5IONT-I - €140

- Zotac ITX ION T - €175

Intel Core i3?:
Any suggestions?

*Prices in Europe ex. Shipping

If you know something better please enlighten me!

I have no experience with the Atom CPUs and I have no idea of its capabilities and limitations. From what I have read a D525 (2x1.8GHz) + NextGen ION should be capable of running 3D 1080p. But is it possible to also download simultaneously or even recording live tv(timeshift)?
The integrated Intel HD graphics should be able to play 1080p too but my experience with integrated Intel graphics haven't been that impressive so I'm in doubt.

Oh and one last thing. Bitstream, anyone care explaining?
You might want to look at the new AMD Zacate Motherboards, is what replaced my other Htpc builds. I can play high bitrate 1080p with 6-15% cpu utilization and has the abitlity to bitstream DTS MA and DD TrueHD. I currently own the Asrock E350M1 mobo which is the budget board as it doesn't include USB 3.0 or WiFi. These motherboard have a dual core 1.6ghz Cpu with built in Graphics HD 6310 which is equivalent to and HD 5450. Uses less power than any atom/ion combo and is far superior in it's HD Capabilities. For web browsing, Hulu, Netflix, Xbmc, Youtube HD, torrents....this handles it without a problem. If you want 3d capabilities this doesn't do it without a discrete gpu (gt430).
AsRock E350M1
Kingston Ram 4gb
Samsung 1tb
Apex mini itx case MI-008
$259.84 Shipped (Newegg)
Thank you for the answer, I really appreciate. I'm usually the tech guy people ask of everything but HTPCs isn't the domain I'm that comfortable in.
But back to business.
I did actually look at the Zacate but from what I have read it's "windows only", and I was planning on trying out Linux(OpenELEC) at first. But Zacate might be the way to go if I choose to only stick to windows. Would you say that the Zacate would be able to run all my requirements simultaneously?
Your welcome, It runs great on Windows no doubt about that...I have seen post on this forum about users getting Zacate to work on Linux(Ubuntu). http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96527&page=2
I can't comment on the tvtuner part as I haven't tried it myself, but I have seen people posting in forums of using tuner's without a problem recording shows and watching another at the same time. I saw a build on another forum the guy had a tvtuner card in the pci express slot and two additionally usb tuners and said it ran without a hitch. As far as everything else in your requirements.....it's perfect, it's what I do daily on my system.
I second the Zacate recommendation. The Windows Live TV branch is FAR ahead of the Linux TVheadend branch, so Windows is the best bet. Windows 7 + Zacate = everything you want.

The Zacate is really superior, price-performance wise, I get it! Smile
And the graphics performance is better than the ION2 but what about compared to some of those IGPs(Intel HD graphics)? The reason why I'm even making this comparison is because I might be pushing the Zacate CPU to its limits with my planned use.

Besides downloading i would love if it could act as a media server once in a while. Occasionally streaming content from my 4-bay external harddrive to an iPad running XBMC or just another client computer or streamer. Any ideas on what bandwidth(MBs) i should expect from a atom/zacate HTPC also acting as a media server while downloading?. I have read that some high end NAS servers use the Intel Atom D525 but when my HTPC isn't a dedicated NAS I'm fully aware I can't come near the performance of an NAS. But what should i expect and should i upgrade to something bigger(low power i3)? Additionally my reading here on the forum has lead me to that if i wish to run 1080P on linux i will need a discrete GPU because the IGP wont cut it on for example a i3/i5?

Is it the drivers on linux that won't give the same performance as on Windows or is it due to XBMC not being optimized to handle the AMD Graphics HD 6310 or the Intel HD Graphics?
cem2ran Wrote:And the graphics performance is better than the ION2 but what about compared to some of those IGPs(Intel HD graphics)?

Blows away anything Intel.

Quote:But what should i expect and should i upgrade to something bigger(low power i3)?

If you want to transcode to many devices you need an i3. Otherwise it should be fine.

Quote:Additionally my reading here on the forum has lead me to that if i wish to run 1080P on linux i will need a discrete GPU because the IGP wont cut it on for example a i3/i5?

The CPU itself can play 1080p, but the GPU drivers are lacking.

Quote:Is it the drivers on linux that won't give the same performance as on Windows or is it due to XBMC not being optimized to handle the AMD Graphics HD 6310 or the Intel HD Graphics?

A little of both.

can you recomend a tv tuner card for a zacate build with windows 7 32 bit? I'm running the asrock board. usb tuner would be ok I guess as long as it does its own hardware acceleration.. does not have to be hd, i will be inputting composite out of a sat receiver..
Does it have HD? then you can get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Def...B0018LX0DY

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...rchInDesc=

They mostly all have promo codes right now....I've only used the Aver Volar and the Kworld brand, Aver was better.
Any experience with network performance on Atom, Zacate and i3? Sharing files on local gigabit network? WLan and Wired? And is there an obvious choice between those three for my purpose of also streaming content?

and thumbs up for the replies! thx =)
Personally I can stream to my daughter's netbook without a problem, have seen many people on forums using zacate strictly for media serving with up to 8tb of media....I don't have a nas box but if and when I do start that project, it will be Zacate as it will be on 24/7 serving media, torrentbox, seedbox, etc. You will love your electric bill especially now that summer is approaching.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinions on HTPC - Atom+ION2 or i3+Intel HD0