XBMC Live booting to Live Login prompt
Hi again

Today i turned on my newly built XBMC machine and it boots to the 'Login Live:' prompt asking for the username and password. I put in the user name and password but XBMC does not load. It no longer boots to the XBMC dashboard / front end.

This machine has been working fine for a number of days now with multiple re boots to test it, all has been fine until today.

System spec:

Dell Optiplex GX620 - Standard spec.
Seagate Barracuda 250GB HDD
1GIG RAM
XBMC 10.1 installed onto the 250GB HDD from the Live CD.

I have searched the internet for this and can only find old posts that do not relate to the new build of XBMC, as i have mentioned already this new XBMC PC has been working ok for days now.

Please help, i am due to take it to my mothers at the end of the week for her to start using.

Thanks in advance.

Trebz
Can anyone even suggest what the problem may be, 78 views and not one reply.......

The PC is just sat there with a $ prompt, surely someone knows what's wrong....
Hi Trebz

If you were to enter the username you created and the password, then type startx, It will throw a error message at you. That may get you more answers.

Hope this helps.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
Copied from my own topic which I've asked to be deleted (duplicate), basically I have the exact same problem:

Disclaimer: I've looked for this problem in previous threads, those all seem to point to something related to nvidia drivers or video drivers. At no point do I modify anything about the system (or drivers) from the moment it works until the moment it doesn't. So I doubt it's related.

My problem:

I get this around once every month -- I run XBMCLive from an USB stick, which runs fine. But after a couple a weeks, or a month or so, it just stops working as it's supposed to.

It boots just fine but remains at

Code:
XBMCLive login:

XBMC is not automatically started as it's supposed to.

I don't do any updates to the Ubuntu system or in fact change anything to the system. Nor do I change any of the hardware. I just start XBMC and when I'm done I shut the system down (cleanly).

I've reinstalled a couple of times now, but it seems to return every time!

Why does this keep happening? Can I do something to let XBMC start (put it in a startup script somewhere)?

If it makes any difference, this is on an ASrock ION 330. Also XBMC Live 10.1 (10.0 had it as well).
I've seen this same problem as well. What I've noticed is that when this happens I am stuck in the first virtual terminal. If I switch to the 7th or 8th VT by pressing ctrl+alt+F7 or F8 I can get XBMC to launch. XBMC will then auto-launch on reboot like its supposed to.

Hope this helps.
Will investigate this when I get home tonight, thanks. Hope that's not the only fix, don't particularly want to leave a keyboard lying next to all of my HTPCs Wink
Try reinstalling:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xbmc xbmc-live xinit x11-xserver-utils
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
One step closer -- seems live-rw gets corrupted for me (like filesystems do). That was one part of the problem, I did an e2fsck on that and now live-rw is mounted again.

However, for some reason /live/image is now read onl, which I don't think it normally is -- .xbmc (dotXBMC) is meant to be on there and writeable, right?

Edit: SOLVED: seems BOTH my /live/image and /live/image/live-rw "partitions" had file system errors (FAT32 & ext2) -- either my USB stick is bad or this live usb business is REALLY prone to errors.

They were both being mounted read only, apparently preventing XBMC from starting properly.

Will see how this develops in the future, maybe swap out the USB stick...
Quote:Hi Trebz

If you were to enter the username you created and the password, then type startx, It will throw a error message at you. That may get you more answers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks vbat99 for the hot tip!

I had the exact same issue with xbmc live on my dual boot system suddenly requesting a login. I followed vbat99's instruction and buried in the report was the suggestion I did not have enough disc space. For some reason I had stupidly only dedicated a 2 or 3 GB partition to xbmc Shocked

I have now used G Parted to check and increase the partition size and all works well once again.
Hi guys, hope some one can help.

Ok , to start I am a beginner in the Linux world. But I want to learn Big Grin !

I have a fresh install of XBMC live 10.1 on a SATA drive.

The system is:

Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA

4 Gb ram

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 3500 2.2Ghz

Graphics Asus GT520 Silent 1gb DD3 (primary)
and on board NVIDIA GeForce 6100

I tried reinstalling, and CTR-ALT-F7 an F8 all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor in it (Xwinwows is trying to start)

Even tried updating the Nvidia Drivers

And when i do "startx" i have the following errors:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_current (/lib/modules/2.6.32-29-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia-current.ko): No such device
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Basically tried everything I could find to fix the stuck at login.

Even tried modifying the xorg.conf file!

But had no success!

Really need help! Now I am the one that is stuck!

Any help or direction to fix my problem would be great!
hi ive just had this same issue
on a hp microserver with a nvidia gt520 gfx card

bit annoyed as i was recommended to use the live distro instead of the build id just done using a minimal natty and now i have a machine thats bolloxed
I had this problem, and when trying to reinstall xbmc live it'd get so far (just after name & password) and then go tits up and do this. No amount of reinstalling worked, so I put XP on my machine and then once that was installed and running tried the xbmc live disc again and it installed no problem.
neal73 Wrote:I had this problem, and when trying to reinstall xbmc live it'd get so far (just after name & password) and then go tits up and do this. No amount of reinstalling worked, so I put XP on my machine and then once that was installed and running tried the xbmc live disc again and it installed no problem.

Was it installed or just running off the cd?
trustmeimadocto Wrote:hi ive just had this same issue
on a hp microserver with a nvidia gt520 gfx card

bit annoyed as i was recommended to use the live distro instead of the build id just done using a minimal natty and now i have a machine thats bolloxed

I will try that again but had a bunch of error updating… could be my ISP crapping out again!
retried again, to install from minimal:

got this as errors:

Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main libxv1 amd64 2:1.0.5-1
Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]

useer@XBMC:~$ sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

WARNING: Unable to parse X.Org version string.

useer@XBMC:~$ sudo modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.

useer@XBMC:~$ sudo usermod --group adm,sudo,cdrom,floppy,audio,video,plugdev,netdev,powerdev,fuse,polkituser xbmc
usermod: group 'netdev' does not exist
usermod: group 'powerdev' does not exist
usermod: group 'polkituser' does not exist

xbmc@XBMC:~$ xinit xbmc-standalone
The program 'xinit' is currently not installed. To run 'xinit' please ask your administrator to install the package 'xinit'

So really finding this annoying. really need help here!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live booting to Live Login prompt0