Which Ion System to get (Revo 1600 gone??)
I am looking to get a couple of more Ion systems to run dedicated live version of XBMC, I already have (2) Acer Revo 1600's which work great but seem to be discontinued, is there a preferred model that everyone now uses that is as easy to setup and (hopefully) close to the $199 price tag? Thanks in advance.
I have the exact same question. $350 for the current revo seems quite spendy.
i have a zotac and a giada.. both were less then $250 and both work fine for me.. both from newegg.. They are normally barebones, but watch for specials that include memory and HD..
What about this one: http://xtreamer.net/Ultra/
The Xtreamer Ultra is nice, but I have the Zotac ND22 since it has a superior CPU.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Have a look at the ZOTAC MAG

2G RAM
160G HD
Atom 330 (dual-core)
NVIDIA ION

Its $270 right now but it can be had for $240.

All you need is a Remote w/ IR receiver.
xtreamer ultra is $400.

If you're even reading this forum you probably have the technical skills to save yourself almost half of that by building your own. Or even more by getting a used atv 1 + crystal hd (about $100 for both) and putting linux on it. (now easier than ever)

Things like the ultra may be useful for setting up the grandparents but I suspect it's not quite as "appliance" like as they hope. It's still just a mini computer with off the shelf components.
regarding xtreamer ultra

Pros:

ION2 and with all 16 cores I believe - thus likely to be able to decode 1080p60 and a chance at decent deinterlacing.
HD audio passthrough capability (software permitting).
D525 Atom (slightly more capacity/speed than other Atoms).

Cons:

It lacks space option for internal HDD (relying on USB OS eg USB memory stick).
Relies on a cooling fan so will likely not be silent.
Probably not able to do the best deinterlacing that might be possible with higher spec nvidia chips.
TheSwissKnife Wrote:regarding xtreamer ultra

Pros:

ION2 and with all 16 cores I believe - thus likely to be able to decode 1080p60 and a chance at decent deinterlacing.
HD audio passthrough capability (software permitting).
D525 Atom (slightly more capacity/speed than other Atoms).

Cons:

It lacks space option for internal HDD (relying on USB OS eg USB memory stick).
Relies on a cooling fan so will likely not be silent.
Probably not able to do the best deinterlacing that might be possible with higher spec nvidia chips.

I would add on the Pros side: 4GB RAM, MCE Remote, 8GB USB stick (16GB if you pre-order) with Ubuntu preinstalled, with all things necessary to run this specific machine, HDMI 1.4a cable, Mini Rechargeable LI-ION keyboard mouse, and, again if you preorder, a WiFi Antena.

You also need to change a little bit the cons, because it does include space for a 2,5" HDD.

As it is being sold from Hong Kong, the €249 announced price will mean, with the €35 p&p and VAT when arriving at an EU country, a final price between €330 and €350, depending on the VAT tax rate. Is it expensive? With all that is being delivered?
vzmr82 Wrote:I would add on the Pros side: 4GB RAM, MCE Remote, 8GB USB stick (16GB if you pre-order) with Ubuntu preinstalled, with all things necessary to run this specific machine, HDMI 1.4a cable, Mini Rechargeable LI-ION keyboard mouse, and, again if you preorder, a WiFi Antena.

You also need to change a little bit the cons, because it does include space for a 2,5" HDD.

As it is being sold from Hong Kong, the €249 announced price will mean, with the €35 p&p and VAT when arriving at an EU country, a final price between €330 and €350, depending on the VAT tax rate. Is it expensive? With all that is being delivered?

Agree with all accessories being pros. I looked before to find a somewhere that stated it had space for a SATA drive but I failed - do you know where I might find that. Apologies for my mistake.

Another con would be that the company has a relatively bad reputation for support both from a community perspective and from a replacement and refund perspective - though that of course is my opinion and I own an xtreamer that never delivered what its marketing claimed. Having said that - I would consider buying one especially if they get the HD audio actually working.

EDIT: Found it now - though it does not state the 16 cores for the ION - though I am sure I have seen that somewhere else.

http://shop.xtreamer.net/Support/questio...ltra+specs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Ion System to get (Revo 1600 gone??)0