SMB asking for username/password issue
I can connect to my SMB share fine and see the name of the drive, but when I click on the drive it asks for a username and password. I don't need one to access it on windows or OS X so I'm not sure what to enter into the box. When I leave it blank it just pops back up. The Hard drive is USB and connected to my Belkin routers USB port.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
I am experiencing what seems to me like the exact same problem. After combing through this forum and the web for most of yesterday (much to my wife's frustrationSad) I finally in desperation attached my external hard drive to my router (Fritz box), which also has a media center functionality. Voila, xmbc accepted the share without asking for a username or password. Only problem was that I have most of the movies as iso files, each saved neatly in its individual folder, and would like to keep it that way. The only files it found were avi files, which seems to be due to the fact that the Fritz box doesn't support iso files.
As soon as I had the external hard drive back on my Windows 7 powered computer, it asked for that username password combination again. I tried everything I could think of, but had no success. To me this seems to be a problem with my Windows set up, but I have tried all the suggestions I found (set the user rights etc) and have not been successful. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Did anyone get any further in solving this problem? I had the eact same problem on my win xp sp2 machine, I rebooted the ATV and havnt had an issue since. A friend of mine though is having the same issue on his win 7 machine though.
Have you guys tried using the username/password you used to log into Windows?

Remember, in Windows, if you don't set a password, Microsoft does funny stuff to "help" protect your system from unauthorized access. Therefore, always set a password to get things back under your control. You can always have Windows auto log you in if you don't want to have to deal with logging in each time Windows boot.
******** Solution #1 of 2 ********

On your machine shared directory, make sure you have BOTH file and share permissions, for Windows, right click Properties > Security tab & Sharing tab.....then add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

******** Solution #2 of 2 ********

Create a new user profile on your machine (for example user=xbmc, password=xbmc), then share the folders with user/password=xbmc. Use xbmc for both user/password to access the smb share.
dazex Wrote:Have you guys tried using the username/password you used to log into Windows?

Remember, in Windows, if you don't set a password, Microsoft does funny stuff to "help" protect your system from unauthorized access. Therefore, always set a password to get things back under your control. You can always have Windows auto log you in if you don't want to have to deal with logging in each time Windows boot.

This is the correct solution. I spent hours trying to figure this one out, and when I finally read this I was able to make it work... set your user name as either what you have it titled and administrator. set a password and use that password. works like a charm after you do it.
In my case I was only having problems with access to an external USB drive. I had no problem with access to folders on internal hard drives. I used Solution #1 above for the external drive and added "Everyone" as a user and read/write permissions. This did the trick. I had no luck with Solution #2.
I found what my problem was. I hope it helps someone.
The username wasn't the long email I use to log into windows (Which is displayed and saved)

Windows shortened it to the first few letters of the email address, then an underscore, then three zeros.

example:
"[email protected]" shortened to iaman_000

I used the shortened version and it worked.
JonSpencer,

Can you explain how you were able to determine your modified username for windows 10 ?

I had the same issue but just made another account, I would prefer not to have the extra account.

Thank you,
Devin.
(2017-01-19, 06:00)Speed3011 Wrote: JonSpencer,

Can you explain how you were able to determine your modified username for windows 10 ?

I had the same issue but just made another account, I would prefer not to have the extra account.

Thank you,
Devin.

Go to C:\Users to see your shortened profile name
(2017-01-19, 06:00)Speed3011 Wrote: JonSpencer,

https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/...sword.html

Thank you,
Devin.

There are some ways to modified username for windows 10 , you can login your computer with MS account , and you can change your username or login password on your Windows 10 , most people use it to reset Windows password  (This method only supports MS users)
Moreover , you can use the Super account or CMD to set your username or password ,
(2011-07-28, 00:04)myXBMC Wrote: ******** Solution #1 of 2 ********

On your machine shared directory, make sure you have BOTH file and share permissions, for Windows, right click Properties > Security tab & Sharing tab.....then add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

******** Solution #2 of 2 ********

Create a new user profile on your machine (for example user=xbmc, password=xbmc), then share the folders with user/password=xbmc. Use xbmc for both user/password to access the smb share.
Tonight you're my hero! Smile Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Asus s1-at5nm10e - Netgear READY NAS 102 - Wired -
-Receiver Pioneer VSX-529-K - ASUS RT-AC58U - USB HDD connected Seagate - SONY BRAVIA KDL-55W955B - Netgear ReadyNAS 102
(2011-04-07, 09:12)jadders440 Wrote: I can connect to my SMB share fine and see the name of the drive, but when I click on the drive it asks for a username and password. I don't need one to access it on windows or OS X so I'm not sure what to enter into the box. When I leave it blank it just pops back up. The Hard drive is USB and connected to my Belkin routers USB port.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Me too; android phone updated to Matrix, lost the SMB shares to windows 7 network. Found  2 solutions:
1 On the windows 7 machine acting as a NAS server, create a password for user "everyone". Enter that password into the Android machine and it then sees the network shares
2 On the Android machine in Kodi select SMB1 as max and minimum, with legacy security.  I believe this is not recommended but it works
Correct - SMB2 (and SMB3) are secure, but need username/password for access. They also do not allow for browsing to find servers (although do of course allow browsing within servers once the connection is made).

SMB1 does have browsing and anonymous access capabilities, but also has huge security holes (search for "Wannacry") and is depreciated and no longer supported or recommended (and providers like Microsoft are actively doing all they can to remove and uninstall it with every update to their OS's).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
My setup is freenas 11 with SMB share and I had same issue- credentials request poping out on unrestricted share.

I just changed the settings "force guest access" in SMB settings under advanced.
Since that It works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB asking for username/password issue0