[Linux] Sick Beard Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide for Ubuntu & Linux Mint
Star 
Introduction

Hello! It's a new year and time again for another update to my long running Sick Beard guide. This will be the sixth update to this specific guide and I decided it was time for a change of scenery. As such, I am recreating this guide and retiring the current one!

This guide will receive updates throughout and will now be based primarily on Linux Mint and Ubuntu (not just Ubuntu). As with my recent XBMC Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide for Ubuntu & Linux Mint (and most of my future guides), this guide will be of a rolling release nature. It will be based on the current version of Linux Mint (with all the current updates), and updated at least every six months.

With my last guide, my introduction section had become far too long. So, to rectify this, I have broken much of the repetitive content out into a Guide Guide and it can be found on Ainer.org's About page. I strongly encourage you to take a moment to review that now. The guides at Ainer.org are written in a specific manner and this is well explained there. If you have any questions about content or style please check there first!

This guide is written using the Linux Mint mintMenu and Gnome based interface. It is similar to Ubuntu's menus, but not exact. If you have trouble navigating and finding the specific programs or locations that are mentioned in this guide please don't hesitate to ask me in the comments below or contact me directly as I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

This guide is considered a companion to my SABnzbd+ Install, Setup and Configuration Guide. This simply means that this guide assumes that you have SABnzbd+ installed and setup. If you do not, then you may not have some of the required packages already installed (such as Cheetah). You will need to install these prior to running Sick Beard for the first time!

Sick Beard is a super handy program that has seen an unbelievable amount of developmental over the last year. Even a year ago it was already incredibly functional, and it has only grown in it's robustness and in it's rich feature-set since then. This rapid rate of development however, means that there are regular updates to the interface and to the options. As such, you may need to make some adjustments as things change (until this guide is updated again!). Until then, if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment or to contact me directly!

For those of you that are not already familiar with Sick Beard, and are currently wondering why you should care about all this, think of Sick Beard as a program that fills a role similar to a Personal or Digital Video Recorder (PVR/DVR). You tell Sick Beard what shows you're interested in, and it'll keep track of them, search for them, and download them automatically for you. Then, when you have time and an interest to watch them, you do so at your own leisure. However, instead of using a television connection (such as a PVR), Sick Beard utilizes the Internet. And, instead of using a stand-alone device, Sick Beard runs on your own GNU/Linux based personal computer (PC).

View the complete, fully formatted guide here at Ainer.org!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Sick Beard Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide for Ubuntu & Linux Mint0