[LINUX] Crashing on update
Big Grin 
I'm trying to build a set-top box to stream media from my UPnP media server (PS3 Media Server running on Ubuntu 10.04). Everything's working fine except for one rather significant problem: XBMC crashes every time I try to update the library. It hasn't yet made it through a full update without crashing.

The crash log shows a long list of "ERROR: CacheImage Unable to create new image special:" for different actors, and a final error "ERROR: Load: Exception while creating file buffer".

I installed XBMC 10.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (x86) using the "XBMC for Linux" PPA. (I'm not using XBMC Live because I wanted a GUI to install the most recent video driver and configure the network. I'm planning to install the xbmc-live package from the PPA if I can get XBMC to run reliably.) If it matters, I'm using an ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe mini-ITX motherboard (Intel Atom 330 Dual-core CPU, Nvidia Ion GPU) with 4GB memory and a 2TB Western Digital hard drive.

EDIT: Btw, I posted this in the General forum rather than the Linux forum because I'm not entirely sure whether this is a Linux-specific problem or a general XBMC problem than just happens to be occurring on a Linux system.

EDIT: SOLVED! It ended up being a problem in communication between XBMC and PS3 Media Server after all. I've been running PMS as a service, and on a whim decided to run it as an app, so I'd get the gui. XBMC wasn't being recognized as a renderer. All I had to do was add "Dharma" to the UserAgentSearch line in XBMC.conf, and (so far) updating the library is crash-free!
Before I gave up last night, I wrote a simple script to restart XBMC every time it crashes. It's crashed several hundred times in the last 8 hours, and still hasn't fully created/updated the library. Sad

This is a huge problem, and I'm stuck for a solution. If I can't figure out something by the time I get off of work this evening, I'll try installing XBMC Live and see if it does any better (though I'd still prefer to have a gui for things like configuring the network and installing the video driver).
I installed XBMC Live about an hour or so, and XBMC is still crashing when updating the library. The only commonality between the numerous crash logs seems to be the line:
Code:
ERROR: Load: Exception while creating file buffer
Even though XBMC Live is based on Ubuntu 10.04, which I was running originally, the fact that it's still crashing with the same error leads me to believe that it's either a problem with my hardware (which tend I doubt, since everything else works flawlessly), a flaw in this version of XBMC (which seems unlikely, since this thread is the top result when I google the error message), or a problem with the communication with PS3 Media Server. The latter option also seems unlikely, since PSM is a fairly popular UPnP media server, and I'm sure plenty of other people are using it with XBMC, apparently without the problem I'm encountering.

Here's the latest crash log.

I would really appreciate some help here. With XBMC set to update the library on startup, it's now crashed 20 times in as many minutes. And the error message is so vague I don't have a clue how to go about resolving the issue.

EDIT: Just to clarify, XBMC is only crashing when updating the library. If I turn off updating on startup and don't update manually, it runs fine -- but that's sort of pointless for what's intended to be a UPnP client.
I didn't think you could (usefully) scan uPnP sources into the library, because the source URLs are dynamic. Having said that, XBMC clearly shouldn't be crashing ...

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Crashing on update0