XBMC on ATV vs. ATV2
I'm looking into getting a device on which I can run XBMC and am deciding between the Apple TV gen one or the gen two.
I'm wondering what the strengths and weaknesses of the two options are. If I get the gen one, I won't be upgrading to the Crystal card since I need the wifi capability. Can someone also explain what tethering means please?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
You can always use an ethernet to wireless bridge.

If not installing CrystalHD they you probably should go with the ATV2 as the ATV1 without CrystalHD cant handle most HD video.
For HD videos it's better cable network than wifi...
Unfortunately wired network isn't an option and the wireless bridge will make a dent in my plan to find the cheapest xbmc solution possible Smile

I will be playing only upto 720p video files. Will the ATV2 handle this without any problems over wifi?

I currently have a WDTV live and it can play these files over wifi flawlessly.
joeblob Wrote:Unfortunately wired network isn't an option and the wireless bridge will make a dent in my plan to find the cheapest xbmc solution possible Smile

I will be playing only upto 720p video files. Will the ATV2 handle this without any problems over wifi?

I currently have a WDTV live and it can play these files over wifi flawlessly.

The ATV2 will easily handle 720p stuff. I use both though I recently have rediscovered my ATV1 with the Crystal HD card (using Linux). It's currently my favourite xbmc box. Too bad about the wireless restrictions.

philip
@pmcd "....It's currently my favourite xbmc box. Too bad about the wireless restrictions."

Philip: What wireless restrictions?.....if you dont mind me asking?

I've got the ATV1 and *just* put in the ChrystalHD, and now nearly every movie wont play on wireless (repeater bridge - N#150 standard)

I constantly get buffering or just loading and then "Playback failed One of more items failed to play. Check the log file for details"

So i'm wondering if you comment is that the ChrystalHD and wireless problems? or just wireless?

Long winded ask...apologies!!!

__LEO__
Naphman, you do understand that when you put in the Crystal HD card (following on online tutorial, I assume) that the card you pulled out to replace with the Crystal HD card was the wifi card.

No wifi card = no wifi connection. You really didn't realize that when you yanked it out?

I wouldn't really call it a "wifi problem" per se any more than I would call ripping the engine out of my car an "acceleration" problem. You take the hardware out, it tends to stop working.

Unless you do a USB to wifi adaptor (but that involves using the Nito TV Smart Installer to activate that disabled USB port first).

Thats why I have a Crystal HD card sitting in a drawer still. Have not run ethernet cable down to that room yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV vs. ATV20