[Win7] New drivers for everything on PC?
I finished my build on Friday (pictures when I'm happy with it).

I installed loads of stuff and got it working quite well but over the weekend things went wrong like MPC-HC stopped bistreaming HD audio and XBMC kept pausing for a second then playing on one file that plays fin on my ATV2, very annoying!

I decided to start from scratch again.

Do/should I install new drivers for everything? I tried some program that scanned the PC and told me that 16 new drivers are available for different things like Motherboard/HD audio/CPU etc.

What should I do?

This is my build:
Intel Core I3-540 3.06GHz LGA-1156 Dual-Core 73W CPU
ASRock H55M-LE LGA-1156 Micro-ATX Motherboard
ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile Graphics Card
Kingston Hyper X 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
40GB SSD Corsair Force Series SSD
LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD drive
Antec EarthWatts 380W 80%+ Efficiency PSU
Lian-Li Black Aluminum PC-C37B Micro ATX Case

Thanks
I usually try to keep my drivers updated unless there's a known issue with a certain driver. Also I tend not to trust those scanners. I scan the manufacturer's sites (os Windows Update) for updates. A tedoius process, yes, but that way I have a better feeling for which drivers I install and that they come from trusted sources - but that's just me.

.stompp
Your focus needs more focus
Current WIP: Karma TF8
Thanks for that, starting updates now.
I agree Stompp

Those so called driver doctors which automatically update your drivers cant be trusted. not only because you don't know where the drivers are coming from but they can also apply incorrect drivers to devices and screw things up. I find that for the smothest running system, just let windows automatically install all drivers. at least you know that Microsoft has confirmed full compatibility with windows and all the other M$ drivers on your system. then if you notice any issues, say your HD video's are stuttering and your screen flickers occasionally, then visit your video card manufacturers website and get the latest driver.

keep it simple, keep it stable.

RBX
Thats bullshit. That you can't trust these tools. Of course there are black sheeps out there, but there are tools which are certified by Microsoft (such as Uniblue Driver Scanner for example) which work like a charm. I'm using this tool for over 3 years now on many different computers and it never downloaded a wrong driver or something like that.
just speaking from experience. Obviously there's going to be at least 1 somewhere on planet earth that does what its supposed to, but statistically its best to stay clear.

PS. any software you pay for probably will do what it says. but as 99.9% of them are free/shareware, best to air on the side of caution.
Choque Wrote:Thats bullshit. That you can't trust these tools. Of course there are black sheeps out there, but there are tools which are certified by Microsoft (such as Uniblue Driver Scanner for example) which work like a charm. I'm using this tool for over 3 years now on many different computers and it never downloaded a wrong driver or something like that.

Ofc there's legit tools out there as well. I only stated that I feel I have better control picking the drivers of my choice one at the time. Yes, It is time consuming and I might miss something but it's the way I feel comfy with. Tho, I will give Uniblue a try before I reinstall to see what I've missed Wink
Your focus needs more focus
Current WIP: Karma TF8
First review i came across

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-331963.html

"I blindly trusted Uniblue's Driver Scanner to acurately scan and update my device drivers. Unfortunatly, ever since I used it, my webcam device driver no longer works. Apparently, it was replaced and now it is the wrong one for my webcam.

I have no idea what to do now. I have a one year old Toshiba Satellite lap top and need to get the correct device driver for it's webcam."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if it screws up like this just once, that makes it un-trustable because you simply can't guarantee its not going to screw up your PC by using it.
on several occasions I've had the auto driver updating programs screw something up. Even caused a reinstall of windows once. Now I update them manually. I'm sure many people use them without problems, but I just feel safer updating things myself. This includes software.

On a side note, having the latest driver doesn't mean you've got the best working one. Research Nvidia driver problems and you'll see what I mean.
this is what i did...

i downloaded manually all drivers i needed from their respective manufacture website
and installed them....

exception to that is the GPU drivers which i always get from Nvidia Directly
and not lets say 'ASUS'....

* GPU [Nvidia]
* Mobo [Gigabyte] (Audio, Lan, Chipset)
Download the drivers from the corresponding chip manufacture, not part manufacture. If you have a Realtek audio, search for the chipset model/part number identifier and go to realtek, never download from mobo manufacture 99% of times are outdated drivers and beta, sometimes they even are the wrong drivers.

Don't ever use a freaking driver updater bloatware, NEVER.

Also, the latest driver isn't always the best, only update a driver if it provides significant improvement in some aspect or you experience a problem with given version of driver.
Get the latest nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website and let Windows Update download the rest and sort it out. Your issue regarding bitstreaming is related to the GPU, the rest are mostly irrelevant.

Also, do you have the latest ffdshow installed?
Win7 does include the newest nvidia drivers in the normal windows update so there's no need to download it specifically from the website
On win7 I just let update do it all for me, has worked perfect on 5 different computers. On one build I was using a wireless usb dongle to get internet, had to install that to get going but other than that let update do it all.
I did all the Windows updates including Nvidia updates. Windows 7 changed visually and I lost the ability to log in without inputting a password.

Still no HD audio bitstream. I then went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the lastest drivers and voila, HD audio bitstreaming goodness!

Thanks for all the input guys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win7] New drivers for everything on PC?0