Video display (noob) questions
Hi,

Apologies if these are very noob questions, but have only just got on to XBMC in the last couple of days after the debacle that is WDTV Live.

Rather than all movies in one folder, I have my movie folders setup into categories (ie Action, Comedy, Drama, etc.) spread across three internal HDDs.

Created a Movies source which references all three drives, which is great as when I select this all the categories come up. Have done a scrape on this source and 95% are done.

Q1) How to manually scrape an individual file? Have tried a few things but can't get it to work.

Q2) It seems on any skin, only in Library mode can I have more movie details, file info, etc. and not in 'normal' / defualt mode? In default mode all I can get is the movie cover thumbs in list mode.

The problem with Library mode is it changes the genre / categories automatically contrary to how I have / want them set up in my own folder structure.
Quote:Q1) How to manually scrape an individual file? Have tried a few things but can't get it to work.

Bring up the context menu on the item in question ('C' on keyboard or right mouse click) and choose information, or just hit 'i' on the keybaord to bring up the same. You can then refresh the movie data and choose your own fanart and thumb. If the scraper cannot find the movie in its database (by default themoviedb.com) you may try changing the name of the search to something that is in the db. If its not in the db then you can make up your own .nfo file for the movie. Search the wiki for the format of .nfo files or look at EMM, XWMM or other such media managers which can do it for you. There is a fair bit of info on these applications in the forums.

Quote:Q2) It seems on any skin, only in Library mode can I have more movie details, file info, etc. and not in 'normal' / defualt mode? In default mode all I can get is the movie cover thumbs in list mode.

The problem with Library mode is it changes the genre / categories automatically contrary to how I have / want them set up in my own folder structure.

File mode doesn't display scraped data on the movie. This is only available in library mode. You can get around your genre issue by creating your own .nfo file and specifying the genre that you want.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Star 
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...PDF+Manual

Yes XBMC teething issues..

1) Scrape an individual file; This all happens under the presumption that you have 'Set' the correct content for the scrape [Keyboard 'C'ommand] (TV, Video, Movie, None).. with target in focus; if you haven't defined the scrape.. nothing will happen.

The target movie in focus.. use the 'I' key on the keyboard for information.... and if no .nfo exists you will be prompted for a scrape, if a .nfo exists... data will present, and if you don't like what you see you may 'refresh' at which point it will prompt you for other choices, or a manual scrap for whatever name you want.

2) In 'Filemode' you get to see all the warts and none of the bling of XBMC and each skin. For movies... getting them into the library is not too difficult and offers a large control over many aspects of your collection, one of which is smart lists. Users are encouraged to preen and manicure their collections to reflect the energy and effort developers have made to bring XBMC to the performance levels you enjoy.

addendum: This reflects back to your last statement regarding genre, how you've set-up your collection and perhaps a simple misunderstanding that might cause future issues. The genre is merely a function of how they're listed in the IMDB and scraped by XBMC. You've elected to create your own folder genre, of which some are not quite the same (.nfo genre are editable) but what I perceive is that you have a genre folder structure, and that movies within are not each in their respective folder, but a flat file system?

If this is the case.. may I suggest that you create a folder for each movie. It will facilitate a much more robust library system, with all the bells and whistles (extrafanart etc.) and easily editable.
Thanks for the responses guys Smile

PatK Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...PDF+Manual

addendum: This reflects back to your last statement regarding genre, how you've set-up your collection and perhaps a simple misunderstanding that might cause future issues. The genre is merely a function of how they're listed in the IMDB and scraped by XBMC. You've elected to create your own folder genre, of which some are not quite the same (.nfo genre are editable) but what I perceive is that you have a genre folder structure, and that movies within are not each in their respective folder, but a flat file system?

If this is the case.. may I suggest that you create a folder for each movie. It will facilitate a much more robust library system, with all the bells and whistles (extrafanart etc.) and easily editable.

Genre seems to default to the first IMDb category? which is often action as most movies have multiple genres listed.

Happy to create / edit my own .nfo files to setup my own genre structures.

Flat file system - I have main folders (ie Action, Adventure, Animation, Crime, Drama, etc) then drop every movie in those folders as relevant, not a single movie in each folder... Which I am not keen on doing.

Where are the .nfo files stored?
Star 
elektrobank Wrote:Thanks for the responses guys Smile
Happy to create / edit my own .nfo files to setup my own genre structures.

Flat file system - I have main folders (ie Action, Adventure, Animation, Crime, Drama, etc) then drop every movie in those folders as relevant, not a single movie in each folder... Which I am not keen on doing.
Where are the .nfo files stored?

Yes editing your own .nfo is a good solution, but you could also use a smartplaylist for genre (might be easier). Export your video library as separate files (settings>video>export library>as separate files>) which should write a .nfo along with fanart and thumbnail into every movie folder (now as you've elected to have a flat file system) it should be named as the movie with the appropriate extension. Once you've edited the .nfo to your liking; a rescrape (a simple refresh scrape from the keyboard 'I' with movie infocus) should give you the option to refresh from the internet or local.. choose local and your data will be saved into the library. This system will also allow for quick re-scraping if needed should you lose contents of the library.

The location of the library in XBMC varies depending on O/S and versions, Last time I looked.. it was a large confusing flat file. use one of the above and your life will be easier. As a last note, if you're going to take the trouble of single editing, then having a folder for each wouldn't be much more effort. There's some scripts hanging about that will auto-make a folder for each file in a directory, let me know if you want it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video display (noob) questions0